Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jehosophat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2019
I’m thinking with iPadOS’ SMB support that multiple apps might support this need but since I just got an iPad and haven’t setup SMB yet, I’m not sure.

Basically I’m looking for a comic/manga reader app. My comics are stored on a shared hard drive connected to my router. I *don’t* want to store my comics library on my iPad - I just want to be able to view my library and read them on the iPad. Of course, if they need to be downloaded to the iPad for reading that’s ok but I don’t want to store my whole library on my iPad.

I know I may have to go through multiple apps to find one that works but if anyone else has already cracked this nut, I’d appreciate the feedback.

aeskis

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2019
Hi! I happened to be looking for a way to view as opposed to download comics/manga in CBZ/CBR format via SMB, myself.

After trying out quite a few readers that only support local and/or cloud files, I came across two paid apps supporting SMB that offer very different interfaces for accessing material. The screenshots on the app page can explain better. Both seem to have a lot of great features; ComicShare has been very recently updated, whereas Chunky‘s last update was nine months ago.

Hope this post helps. :)

Jehosophat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2019
Thanks! I did get SMB working in Chunky, the 'file list' interface is doable but not ideal. Admittedly, I'm spoiled from using Cover in Windows.

However, I did get YACReader & YACLibrary working and that does the trick. YACLibrary is server software that runs on a computer (similar to Plex), and (also similar to Plex) you tell it where your files are stored. In my case, that's the smb share assigned to a drive letter.

YACReader can then view the library and you get a nice grid of comics & folders, all alphabetized, that you can click to read or long-press to download to the iPad. It's not as simple to use as an smb share but the usability is a nice step up too.

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68030
Sep 19, 2021
Thanks! I did get SMB working in Chunky, the 'file list' interface is doable but not ideal. Admittedly, I'm spoiled from using Cover in Windows.

However, I did get YACReader & YACLibrary working and that does the trick. YACLibrary is server software that runs on a computer (similar to Plex), and (also similar to Plex) you tell it where your files are stored. In my case, that's the smb share assigned to a drive letter.

YACReader can then view the library and you get a nice grid of comics & folders, all alphabetized, that you can click to read or long-press to download to the iPad. It's not as simple to use as an smb share but the usability is a nice step up too.
So you can read comics on ipad without actually downloading them right ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.