Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

radiologyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
I was waiting to upgrade to mini 13 as my last iphone, just due to the small size. Now I started wondering if extra weight on 14 pro would be worth it given pro motion and performance gains. Can we also say that screen will be better on 14 pro in terms of brightness? I am very picky about picture quality.

Last edited:

radiologyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
Larger screen will be better for me. It is weight and one hand operation that concern me. iPhone 11 was too heavy

Last edited:

John981

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2017
Objectively speaking, the Pro phones offer more features. Whether or not that extra is worth the weight and size depends on you entirely. For me, I'd say the 13 Pro is definitely noticeably a heavy phone, but I value the battery life and full feature set much more than a slightly more compact device.

You can always try one in store to see what the phone feels like to you. And if that's not sufficient, you could order through Apple and return it as long as you're within the return window.

Reactions: radiologyman

radiologyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
Will probably go for 13 mini for me and other members of the family. I assume people who upgrade will put up their minis for sale soon. Any websites are recommended for better deals on used?

Funny Apple Man

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2022
Hamburger Land
13 mini for $599 is a sweet deal. Three noticeable gains you'll get:

1. Better battery life
2. Brighter screen
3. Cinematic mode

Since you're coming from a 12 mini, I don't think it's worth it to upgrade unless you use it a lot and would like a better battery life.

The 14 Pro will be night and day difference compared to your 12 mini. I'm hearing rumors of the 14 Pro/Pro Max using vapor chamber cooling which will make the phone be less hot and be able to squeeze more power out of the A16 chip. Although it's more expensive to buy at $999-1099, but we're on just several days from the Apple Event so I would just wait and see what the 14 Pro would be like.

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
Price would be the only reason to go for the 13 Mini. Even then, I’d rather get a used 13 Pro.

Mini is cool, but the novelty factor wears off quickly and the battery life becomes a constant annoyance unless you’re a very light user.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
In a similar debate. I have a 12 mini now, which I absolutely love. Decided to just get the 13 mini because 10% battery is nothing to balk at. I just cannot do these larger phones. Plus with trade-in and the new prices, it's worth it for me. I'll probably keep it another 2-3 years or until a must have software feature arises. Dynamic Island looks great, but doesn't add functionality or features that I am missing, just a different way to multi task.

Reactions: radiologyman

lkalliance

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2015
I think there is a way of looking at it that you've sort of touched on:

I am very picky about picture quality.

Really the decision to get a pro over a mini is that question entirely. There are clear (and clearly definable) costs to getting the pro:

--Money
--Size and weight

But on the pro I'd believe that nearly every single part of the phone is better. Better screen. Better battery. Better camera. Better chip. Some features the mini (or current 14) don't have. Perhaps some of these categories don't mean anything to you. You specifically mentioned the screen; the 14 pro will have pro motion, it will have a RIDICULOUS number of nits of brightness, will be larger (than the mini at least), and will, if I understood right, have smaller bezels. You get all that for the price of $400 and 65 grams.

Perhaps that's another way to rephrase the question: if I offered to put those screen improvements onto your current 12 mini in exchange for $400 and make it 65 grams heavier...would you do it?

CrazyForCashews

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2018
A question that essentially really comes down to the size between the two and how you feel about them.

radiologyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
Iphone 14 Pro has a different radio which may have better reception. I use my Iphone for work while traveling and having best voice and data reception may be the more important than size. I use my Iphone as hotspot often.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.