Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

juice3250

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2014
I currently have the S23 ultra and am considering switching after only 6 months with this phone. I've been on Android 95% of the time using smartphones.

I'm probably going to sell it on Swappa to get the most for it and then get the iPhone 15pm 256gb through Verizon. I don't want to trade in my phone and be forced into a higher data plan.

What's the best way to migrate from using Google services and backups to using iCloud and Apple services? I have used Google photos and Google One backups for so long. Should I keep paying for Google photos backups or transfer over to using iCloud?

I have only just begun to think about switching and I'm not 100% sure about it yet. I'd have to sell my Galaxy watch 6 classic and eventually get an apple watch. Can an apple watch sync with Fitbit?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I currently have the S23 ultra and am considering switching after only 6 months with this phone. I've been on Android 95% of the time using smartphones.

I'm probably going to sell it on Swappa to get the most for it and then get the iPhone 15pm 256gb through Verizon. I don't want to trade in my phone and be forced into a higher data plan.

What's the best way to migrate from using Google services and backups to using iCloud and Apple services? I have used Google photos and Google One backups for so long. Should I keep paying for Google photos backups or transfer over to using iCloud?

I have only just begun to think about switching and I'm not 100% sure about it yet. I'd have to sell my Galaxy watch 6 classic and eventually get an apple watch. Can an apple watch sync with Fitbit?
Everything you have that is Google will be there when you install the Apple version of the Google app and login. You can also add your Gmail in the Mail app if you prefer.

Google One does not make whole device backups (not allowed for security reasons by Apple), only photos and some other stuff. You can continue to use Google apps, you don't have to use iCloud. I've primarily used all my iPhones with Google's services since late 2012 and only use iCloud for iMessage and the convenience of restoring from a backup (everything is already backed up by other means).

When you get the new iPhone it will ask you if you want to transfer all your content. Say yes and let it work. I've gone from a 6s Plus to a Pixel 3a XL and back to an iPhone 11PM using the transfer apps and not had a problem. They will pick up your SMS/MMS.

You don't get a launcher, Apple doesn't do that. So, the main Messages app is pretty much it unless you use WhatsApp or something else. You also want to note, that being an Apple device when you start adding stuff (accounts, data, contacts, etc) the iPhone likes to default to 'On my iPhone'. If you're still going to be using Google's services, make sure to change the default to that. Otherwise anytime you add new stuff you won't find it in Google.

That's what I can think of off the top of my head.

Last edited:

juice3250

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2014
Everything you have that is Google will be there when you install the Apple version of the Google app and login. You can also add your Gmail in the Mail app if you prefer.

Google One does not make whole device backups (not allowed for security reasons by Apple), only photos and some other stuff. You can continue to use Google apps, you don't have to use iCloud. I've primarily used all my iPhones with Google's services since late 2012 and only use iCloud for iMessage and the convenience of restoring from a backup (everything is already backed up by other means).

When you get the new iPhone it will ask you if you want to transfer all your content. Say yes and let it work. I've gone from a 6s Plus to a Pixel 3a XL and back to an iPhone 11PM using the transfer apps and not had a problem. They will pick up your SMS/MMS.

You don't get a launcher, Apple doesn't do that. So, the main Messages app is pretty much it unless you use WhatsApp or something else. You also want to note, that being an Apple device when you start adding stuff (accounts, date, contacts, etc) the iPhone likes to default to 'On my iPhone'. If you're still going to be using Google's services, make sure to change the default to that. Otherwise anytime you add new stuff you won't find it in Google.

That's what I can think of off the top of my head.
Thank you. That's most helpful. Changing phones is really the easiest part. It's the watch that is going to be an extra hassle. Last time I had an iPhone, I didn't have a smart watch. So it was easier to switch back and forth. I think I might have had a ticwatch or Fitbit. But definitely not a wear os or Apple watch.

I may not even sell the watch and maybe I'll pair it with my Lenovo tablet and still track and sync my steps with it whenever it connects to it. But that may get old after a while making sure my tablet is on and it connects to my watch. I don't really care that much about getting notifications on my watch and responding to texts or answering calls on it. It's more so I care about switching the watch faces on it.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Thank you. That's most helpful. Changing phones is really the easiest part. It's the watch that is going to be an extra hassle. Last time I had an iPhone, I didn't have a smart watch. So it was easier to switch back and forth. I think I might have had a ticwatch or Fitbit. But definitely not a wear os or Apple watch.

I may not even sell the watch and maybe I'll pair it with my Lenovo tablet and still track and sync my steps with it whenever it connects to it. But that may get old after a while making sure my tablet is on and it connects to my watch. I don't really care that much about getting notifications on my watch and responding to texts or answering calls on it. It's more so I care about switching the watch faces on it.
Yeah, I can't really help you with watches. I'm more old school in that regard and given my lifestyle, occupation and preferences I'm not interested in getting one.

But plenty of watch users in the iPhone subforum so you should get some good help from them.

Reactions: juice3250

juice3250

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2014
I might end up just hanging on to my S23 ultra for another 5 months until I can sell it for enough to pay it off. I was just checking on how much I owe Samsung for it and how much they're selling for on Swappa.

For sure if the price drops at all on the 15pm, then I'll jump on it. I think September is when the new iPhones get released. I know they stop selling the previous PM new, once the new one is released.

Just trying to figure out which method I will go about buying it. Either through Apple for 24 months or through Verizon for 36. I'm leaning towards Verizon, then adding on apple Care Plus.

Last September, I almost was going to switch to iOS but then I couldn't go through with it and ended up trading in my Pixel 7 pro for the S23 ultra.

I know there are people who complain about iOS and Android. So neither ecosystem is perfect. But I do think that Apple continues to gradually refine their iPhones and iOS year after year. Whereas Google and Samsung just try to throw things at the wall to see if they will stick. I guess some coud make the argument that Samsung has gotten better in recent years and is steadily growing and refining their S line of phones.

Last edited:
Reactions: eyoungren

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa

You can use your Samsung Watch with the iPhone, most Android manufacturers have support for iPhone when it comes to their Wearables. I personally used a Huawei watch with my iPhones on and off some years ago.

In terms of your Galaxy Watch, when you get you iPhone simply ensure you download the Galaxy Watch app from App Store, then you will be able set it up to sync your Galaxy Watch to your iPhone.

IMG_0129.png

juice3250

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2014
You can use your Samsung Watch with the iPhone, most Android manufacturers have support for iPhone when it comes to their Wearables. I personally used a Huawei watch with my iPhones on and off some years ago.

In terms of your Galaxy Watch, when you get you iPhone simply ensure you download the Galaxy Watch app from App Store, then you will be able set it up to sync your Galaxy Watch to your iPhone.

View attachment 2367169
Only the Galaxy watches that used Tizen and not Wear OS are compatible with iOS. So my Galaxy watch 6 classic won't work with iOS or this app.

Reactions: MarkX

juice3250

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2014
I'm going to post my S23U on Swappa in the next few days and wait for it to sell before I order my iPhone 15PM. I should be able to sell for enough to pay off one of my accounts on Samsung and either use the rest to put a down payment on the iPhone or buy an Apple Watch 9. I do have a Fitbit Charge 6 coming so I might just use that instead of the AW. I got it for $80 with a discount through my health insurance at work. We'll see how much functionality it has or until I get fomo from not having a smart watch since my Galaxy watch 6 classic won't work with iOS.

I probably will hang onto the extra money I get from the sale until I decide if I need or want an apple watch. If I don't, then I'll just put it all towards my Samsung financing account. It's probably smarter to pay off all my credit accounts from Samsung before I decide to add more through Apple.

kargurin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2015
I use both platforms. Biggest differences.... iOS apps are more expensive and there are no trial refunds. iOS has it's own messaging app. It's good but you won't be able to bring the android messages over. Perhaps if you use WhatsApp. Notifications are done different. I like the android system of compressed notifications in a long list grouped better. All the Google stuff will be there. I don't pay extra for storage just the very basic .99 per month to back up some but not all content. I use a Synology NAS at home to back up stuff. A four TB raid. Those things are quite useful IMO. iOS and iPhone are great. Especially the build quality and design. I like both platforms roughly equally.

Reactions: juice3250

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
…but you won't be able to bring the android messages over.
When I came back to iPhone/iOS in February 2021 I had no issue getting my SMS messages to transfer over from my Pixel 3a XL. It was simply a matter of using the transfer option when setting up my 11 Pro Max.

Reactions: now i see it
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.