Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scrapisimo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2007
If I put, for instance, something like this: "Jeffrey Lebowski, PhD" in the "From" field when sending an email, iOS Mail assumes the comma is separating a last name from a first name, and will render the name as "PhD Jefrey Lebowski." This does not occur in, for instance, Mac Mail, Outlook, or Gmail. I'm using Mailchimp to send emails, but I imagine this would be a problem with anything, since it appears to be the iOS Mail app that is causing the issue.

Is there any way around this? Some weird Unicode alternative comma or something?

scrapisimo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2007
Unfortunately the comma is not a personal preference but a part of a product’s name (that’s not in English) and it wouldn’t look grammatically correct without it.

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
If I put, for instance, something like this: "Jeffrey Lebowski, PhD" in the "From" field when sending an email, iOS Mail assumes the comma is separating a last name from a first name, and will render the name as "PhD Jefrey Lebowski." This does not occur in, for instance, Mac Mail, Outlook, or Gmail. I'm using Mailchimp to send emails, but I imagine this would be a problem with anything, since it appears to be the iOS Mail app that is causing the issue.

Is there any way around this? Some weird Unicode alternative comma or something?

what does it do if you enter it as Jeffrey LeBowski, Ph.D.

scrapisimo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2007
what does it do if you enter it as Jeffrey LeBowski, Ph.D.

The sender’s name appears as “Ph.D Jeffrey Lebowski”. In this example the change it’s not that dramatic but the name I’m using makes no sense when it’s reversed this way. It’s also a name of a product, so the comma in the name has to be there, it’s not a personal preference.

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
The sender’s name appears as “Ph.D Jeffrey Lebowski”. In this example the change it’s not that dramatic but the name I’m using makes no sense when it’s reversed this way. It’s also a name of a product, so the comma in the name has to be there, it’s not a personal preference.
if you go into contacts and edit the contact then add a field, choose suffix and put Ph.D. in there does it work correctly?

scrapisimo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2007
if you go into contacts and edit the contact then add a field, choose suffix and put Ph.D. in there does it work correctly?

It works fine this way but it affects only the way it is displayed on my iPhone. For everyone else it will still be displayed reversed.

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
It works fine this way but it affects only the way it is displayed on my iPhone. For everyone else it will still be displayed reversed.
Just out of curiosity, what is actually in the mail headers vs what is the client displaying? Namely, is this an interpretation issue by the receiving client, or is the sending client forming the name other than you would like?

scrapisimo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2007
Just out of curiosity, what is actually in the mail headers vs what is the client displaying? Namely, is this an interpretation issue by the receiving client, or is the sending client forming the name other than you would like?

It seems to be an issue with the receiving client, namely, iOS Mail client. Any other client - Mac OS Mail, Gmail, Outlook, Yahoo display the name properly.

The name is in Bulgarian - Обичам те, защото. What I see as a sender on any iPhone Mail is защото Обичам те.

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
It seems to be an issue with the receiving client, namely, iOS Mail client. Any other client - Mac OS Mail, Gmail, Outlook, Yahoo display the name properly.
That's not what I asked. What is in the headers? Is iOS Mail reformatting the name, or is it displaying what's in the headers and the other mail clients are reformatting the name? Obv iOS Mail doesn't give you many controls to configure how something is displayed, but more information is always good.

scrapisimo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2007
That's not what I asked. What is in the headers? Is iOS Mail reformatting the name, or is it displaying what's in the headers and the other mail clients are reformatting the name? Obv iOS Mail doesn't give you many controls to configure how something is displayed, but more information is always good.

I'm not sure if I'm understanding this correctly but I think the only way to view the header in iOS Mail is when I attempt to forward the message. So it looks like the screenshot below. The correct way to be displayed is in the header "From: "Обичам те, защото" You can see in the background how the sender's name looks when it's received.

Attachments

• IMG_1405.jpg
    IMG_1405.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 177
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.