Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tweak25

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2014
Hey all,

I performed a clean install of Mojave (10.14) and ran the update to 10.14.1 right after the initial installation completed. I've started reinstalling all the software I need, but am running into issues when trying to install the command line tools from the Terminal. After requesting the install, I can agree to the license agreement but then always receive the following message: "Can’t install the software because it is not currently available from the Software Update server."

Steps I've attempted in order to resolve this include: resetting the developer directory using xcode-select --reset, changing the catalog to Apple production using softwareupdatea --clear-catalog, deleting the SoftwareUpdate.plist from preferences, all to no avail.

If I try to download the command line tools from the Apple website I need to log into the developer portal and I don't have a developer account with Apple. Does this mean I need to install the whole Xcode package from the App Store? I seem to recall that this wasn't necessary previously. Or could this simply be a question of timing, with Apple having only just released Xcode 10.1 a couple of days ago and the CLI tools no being available from the update server yet?

I appreciate your input on this!

tweak25

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2014
It's an official Apple package, they come as part of the full Xcode install but should also be available as a separate install from the CLI.

From the Apple website:
Command Line Tools
Download the macOS SDK, headers, and build tools such as the Apple LLVM compiler and Make. These tools make it easy to install open source software or develop on UNIX within Terminal. macOS can automatically download these tools the first time you try to build software.

You can also download them from Apple's developer portal, but I don't have a login for that, which is why I'm trying to install them from the Terminal.

Reactions: maflynn

jonobin

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2014
You don't need to be a paid developer to download them from the developer portal ;)

tweak25

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2014
You don't need to be a paid developer to download them from the developer portal ;)

It would appear so, thanks for letting me know. The 10.1 command line tools are still in beta it would seem, which may explain why they aren't showing up when trying to request the install. Anyway, installed v. 10 for Mac OS 10.14 manually now, so question resolved I guess. :)

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
It would appear so, thanks for letting me know. The 10.1 command line tools are still in beta it would seem, which may explain why they aren't showing up when trying to request the install. Anyway, installed v. 10 for Mac OS 10.14 manually now, so question resolved I guess. :)
There's a non-beta version of them, just not from the developer website.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.