Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

azpc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
How many of us would like to have this ability:

Request that a specific app remember window size and location.

Advantages:

If you like an app to always open full screen you don't have to click the full screen button each time.

If you want the window to open at a specific size and location you won't have to drag and resize each and every time you open the app.

I freely suggest that Apple place this option in Get Info.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

Or you can send Tim Cook a tweet at Twitter.

dsemf

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2014
How many of us would like to have this ability:

Request that a specific app remember window size and location.

Advantages:

If you like an app to always open full screen you don't have to click the full screen button each time.

If you want the window to open at a specific size and location you won't have to drag and resize each and every time you open the app.

I freely suggest that Apple place this option in Get Info.

Not needed. It is up to the application developer to support remembering window size, location and whether full screen is active. Both Evernote and iTunes remember that they were full screen and automatically open in full screen. Most of the apps that I use remember size and location, but most do not remember the full screen mode.

It is not the responsibility of the operating system to override the programmer's window management decisions.

DS

azpc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
Actually, remembering screen size and position is needed!

Do you want to position and resize the app every time you open it?

Look how many people are complaining about the Finder not remembering screen size and positions.

"Is anybody else experiencing a bug in El Cap where the Finder's side-bar won't stay re-sized? It's super annoying." - TranceJD

"I'm having this, and it's incredibly annoying." - Derived

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...d-os-x-el-capitan-public-betas.1902641/page-9

I thought computers were about the users. They are a tool for the user are they not?

Whose workflow ultimately matters? Isn't it the customers? Who purchases most computers? Users or developers?

DustyKiddo

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2015
This is one of the frustrations that I've had as well. Applications really should remember where you last placed (and sized them) on the screen. However, quite a few of them -- well, just don't.

Technically, Apple expects programmers to write quality apps, but the real truth is that most developers are far more busy with completing the essential functions of the application (such as ensuring that the printing, saving, etc, etc, features work) than worry about whether the program shows back up on the screen in the exact location, etc. These are functions that are often ignored and are never finished. Timetables are timetables, and that means that features often go undeveloped / unfinished. (Microsoft Word is a classic example.)

If Apple wants uniformity with their software, they'll need to put down OS-based rules that ensure conformity. Without this being established (in the OS itself), each application will continue to do their own uniquely weird thing.

bladerunner2000

Suspended
Jun 12, 2015
I have my windows always set to either the maximum size possible (not full screen, thats ridiculous), half the screen (on left or right) or one quarter of the size (top left/right or bottom left/right).

BetterTouchTool actually does allow me to snap windows to half or quarter screen sizes, but it also has a setting to remember an applications particular size/state HOWEVER it gets reset if you quit the application.

BetterTouchTools and XtraFinder are my #1 applications when I set up a new installation of OS X. I'd get really frustrated without these apps.

!!!

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2013

Do you want to position and resize the app every time you open it?

Look how many people are complaining about the Finder not remembering screen size and positions.

"Is anybody else experiencing a bug in El Cap where the Finder's side-bar won't stay re-sized? It's super annoying." - TranceJD

"I'm having this, and it's incredibly annoying." - Derived

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...d-os-x-el-capitan-public-betas.1902641/page-9

I thought computers were about the users. They are a tool for the user are they not?

Whose workflow ultimately matters? Isn't it the customers? Who purchases most computers? Users or developers?
The Finder issue isn't related to this and most likely has to do with .DS_Store files.
Like dsemf said, it is up to the developers to control the UI they create.

azpc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
The Finder issue isn't related to this and most likely has to do with .DS_Store files.
Like dsemf said, it is up to the developers to control the UI they create.

The point I was trying to stress is that users get very frustrated by inconsistent behavior.

If we can change the window size of the app, the operating system should be able to remember the Window size and position if the users requests. It is not difficult, otherwise the "ReOpen Windows when logging in" feature would never work.

dsemf

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2014
This is one of the frustrations that I've had as well. Applications really should remember where you last placed (and sized them) on the screen. However, quite a few of them -- well, just don't.

If Apple wants uniformity with their software, they'll need to put down OS-based rules that ensure conformity. Without this being established (in the OS itself), each application will continue to do their own uniquely weird thing.

The problem with strict OS based rules is that the window requirements of applications is highly variable.

An application that I use for program editing is run in a single window with tabs. I set the height at the screen size (Dock and Menu Bar hidden) but the width at 90%. This is to accommodate a search dialog box. Another app has 3 to n windows open, depending on the number of optional functions being used. Both of these apps remembers where each window was located. In fact, the editor also remembers which line contained the insertion point.

I am currently on PB2. It appears that some progress has been made on the Finder. My Finder workflow is to cmd-tab to the Finder icon which brings me to desktop 1, and then do a cmd-shift-h. When I am done with the Finder, I do a cmd-w to dismiss it. It has retained the location and size even through a re-boot. If I use another shift-cmd letter, it opens using the default size. The sidebar is still broken, so I just double click the dividing line to expand it if I need to use the sidebar.

DS

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

Agreed. Not the exact solution you are looking for, but the app Moom sort of does this. You set all your app windows where you want them, then click or KB shortcut to have the app remember those positions/sizes. You can then restore that memorized position by mouse or KB shortcut.

azpc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
Agreed. Not the exact solution you are looking for, but the app Moom sort of does this. You set all your app windows where you want them, then click or KB shortcut to have the app remember those positions/sizes. You can then restore that memorized position by mouse or KB shortcut.

Thanks for taking the time to post. I am aware of Moom and it is a neat product.

I was just thinking about what features I would really like to see in OSX. Remembering Window size and position would rank near the top of the list.

This proposed feature would save users time and make each Mac more personal.

-----------------------------------------------------

Reactions: Weaselboy

!!!

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2013
I am trying to migrate to Mojave for months and this is driving me crazy. Any suggestions/updates? Thank you --
This thread hasn't been replied to in 5 years. A problem with what? What are you trying to do? Why have you been migrating to Mojave for months? What's driving you crazy? This thread was made when El Cap was in beta, so my comment was made with beta software in kind, and yeah there probably were updates. But I've never had any problems, and I haven't run El Cap for 5 years. If you're having problems with .DS_Store files, it's probably best to just delete them, maybe you'll need to delete com.apple.finder.plist as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.