Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
USA
I was moving some files around and tried to 'cut' (Command+x) a file from one folder and paste (Command+v) it into another folder.

So, in Finder I highlight a file and tried Command+x, but it didn't work. So, I checked the Edit menu and found that the Cut command is grayed out:

Finder-cut.jpg

My first thought was to check to ensure I didn't inadvertently change the Command+x key combo. But, I see that in Safari the Cut command works fine:

Safari-cut.jpg

Cut and paste were what I typically used to move a file in Linux. Does that not work in macOS? What am I doing wrong? Why is the Cut command grayed out in Finder but not in Safari?

My system:
Mac mini, Late 2014, running macOS Mojave v. 10.14.2
Apple Magic Keyboard
Apple Magic Mouse

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Command-X does not work in Finder. To cut and paste in Finder, use Command-C to copy, then Command-Option-V to move the item to the new location.

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
USA
Command-X does not work in Finder. To cut and paste in Finder, use Command-C to copy, then Command-Option-V to move the item to the new location.
That worked perfectly, thank you! I'll have to amend my practices accordingly. I wonder why there is a Command+x entry in the Edit menu for Finder if it doesn't work. I'm guessing 'Cut' is a static item for all Edit menus but it's not connected to anything where Finder is concerned.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.