Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Original poster
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I'm just curious why there is no commenting option for the How Tos?

I don't normally go through them. I just came across one while researching a problem. Which completely missed the point of the problem. With a non-solution type of solution.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scepticalscribe

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
So... there is a category of content that doesn't get published to our front page, and as a result doesn't get an automatic forum thread. These are more basic how-tos that we don't want to publish to our front page b/c the topics might be too basic, but might be helpful in the context of other How-tos, etc...

We don't presently generate a forum thread for those articles, but could revisit that.

Reactions: icanhazmac

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
One could simply point to the specific problematic How To with a thread in Site and Forum Feedback, and then explain why it's problematic.

If the How To writers agree with the problem, they can edit the How To, or remove it, or whatever.

As a similar example, we often have sticky threads at the top of certain forums that describe things about that forum. For example, see the stickies at the top of Digital Photography or Political News. Sometimes these threads are locked, because they're intended purely to convey information to readers, rather like a How To. Sometimes these threads are unlocked, because they're intended for discussion among members.

Sometimes, the info in locked threads becomes outdated, or is seen to be missing something, or is simply incorrect. When that happens, one can come here to Site and Forum Feedback and start a thread pointing out the issue with the specific locked thread. This usually results in a discussion back-stage among moderators and admins, and we may revise the locked thread, or leave it unchanged with an explanation in the thread here.

I think the same strategy will work for How To articles, at least for now.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Or feel free to email the editorial staff at tips@macrumors.com if you have feedback about a how-to. Always happy to update/improve them, but there are a lot to keep tabs on. :)

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Original poster
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
One could simply point to the specific problematic How To with a thread in Site and Forum Feedback, and then explain why it's problematic.

If the How To writers agree with the problem, they can edit the How To, or remove it, or whatever.

As a similar example, we often have sticky threads at the top of certain forums that describe things about that forum. For example, see the stickies at the top of Digital Photography or Political News. Sometimes these threads are locked, because they're intended purely to convey information to readers, rather like a How To. Sometimes these threads are unlocked, because they're intended for discussion among members.

Sometimes, the info in locked threads becomes outdated, or is seen to be missing something, or is simply incorrect. When that happens, one can come here to Site and Forum Feedback and start a thread pointing out the issue with the specific locked thread. This usually results in a discussion back-stage among moderators and admins, and we may revise the locked thread, or leave it unchanged with an explanation in the thread here.

I think the same strategy will work for How To articles, at least for now.

That's good. I wasn't sure how taking this action would be viewed.

Reactions: BigMcGuire
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.