Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blakespot

Administrator
Original poster
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
Recently received my Commodore One reconfigurable computer. Have a look at the pic:

http://homepage.mac.com/blakespot/PhotoAlbum24.html

It uses FPGA's so that you choose a "core" from the menu and then the hardware on the board configures itself to act like the hardware described by the core files (Verilog circuit markup language). Very interesting stuff.

Standard ATX form factor. Acrylic clear case on the way.

blakespot

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Aren't C64's a tad bit old?

Cool computer. Looks like a modern revamp of an old computer, right?

Want to fill us in on what it can do?

And nice Newton 2000 in the first picture...

mcarvin

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2003
Southern NJ
blakespot said:
Recently received my Commodore One reconfigurable computer. Have a look at the pic:

http://homepage.mac.com/blakespot/PhotoAlbum24.html

It uses FPGA's so that you choose a "core" from the menu and then the hardware on the board configures itself to act like the hardware described by the core files (Verilog circuit markup language). Very interesting stuff.

Standard ATX form factor. Acrylic clear case on the way.

blakespot

Now you make me want to drive to my parents' house, dig out my C-128, 1541, and a ton of 5.25 discs. Memories of Jumpman and Impossible Mission and California Games running through my head
:D

therevolution

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2003
Arcus said:
Winter Games > California Games

:p

I'm gonna go with Summer Games. Good times! :D

This looks very cool. I always enjoy firing up the emulators every now and then for a little nostalgia-fest. I may pick one of these up if they're reasonably cheap.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Arcus said:
Winter Games > California Games

:p

Those things were awful. They beat the hell out of equipment. :D

I have loads of games in the other room for my Atari 8-bit machines, so I get my nostalgia pretty easily. The games were simple but so much fun.

I consider programming some game from time to time just because the operating system was so simple and didn't get in the way. Besides, with 64 KB, you can't build something too huge. Of course, any current PalmOS system has better resolution. :D

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
That is too cool.

I'm just waiting for a bunch more FPGA-based stuff to hit the market. I worked with them a little bit in the early 90's at a company called Coherent Research in Syracuse, NY, and thought that the idea was excellent.

Where'd you buy it from?

And, BTW, blakespot, welcome back to the boards!

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
I've been checking out the C-ONE website and this is some crazy looking hardware, it looks like it could be great fun, but how does it actually run? What's the user experience like? Is everything supported (audio, etc)? I need a quick review! PLEASE. :)

blakespot

Administrator
Original poster
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
TEG said:
Very nice. Now just if it could be an NES, or an Apple ][, I'd be happy.

TEG

I spoke with the person who fabricates the board and finances the effort. An Apple IIgs core, using the 20MHz 65C816 on the board, is planned.

blakespot

blakespot

Administrator
Original poster
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
Added C64-DTV pic as well...

Added a shot of the C64-DTV "Commodore 64 in a joystick," designed by Jeri Ellsworth...

MVC-261S.JPG

...just now as well. Enjoy.

blakespot

cmvsm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2004
Yes...I yearn for the time when I used to type in magazine programs for hours into my Commodore 64 only to find out at the moment of truth when the program was "supposed" to work, there was some problem in a data line. There must have been 500 data lines in some of those things to wade through to find out the number 600 was typed in as 609....what a waste of my life... :eek:

Then I had to whip out the old tape drive (we were too poor for the disk drive), and start all over again saving the damn thing.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
cmvsm said:
Yes...I yearn for the time when I used to type in magazine programs for hours into my Commodore 64 only to find out at the moment of truth when the program was "supposed" to work, there was some problem in a data line. There must have been 500 data lines in some of those things to wade through to find out the number 600 was typed in as 609....what a waste of my life... :eek:

Then I had to whip out the old tape drive (we were too poor for the disk drive), and start all over again saving the damn thing.
Ahhh, the memories of a geeky youth.

I remember getting Family Computing magazine through my school's monthly book order.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.