Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FadeToBlack

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
Accoville, WV
Well guys, I'm considering purchasing a 12" PowerBook to use on the go and just for wireless surfing around the house (still keeping my Mac mini) and I was wondering what my options are for compact wireless routers. I found one on Amazon that I really like by Linksys. I know about the AirPort Express, but I'd like to keep using my Mac mini with a wired connection and as far as I know, that isn't possible with the AirPort Express. I want a compact one because I have very limited desk space, so the smaller, the better.

Got any recommendations?

FadeToBlack

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
Accoville, WV
Ummm, don't put it on the desk?
Seriously, it can go under the desk, or can be bolted onto the wall or many other places. So you don't necessarily have to be constrained by size.

Good point, but I'd actually rather have it on the desk, so it's easily accessible. Plus, I don't really feel like putting it on the wall, either. I'd like to get one that's small enough to sit on top of my modem, which is pretty small itself.

Just looking for some recommendations before I buy. Here's a link to the Linksys I was talking about earlier:

Linksys Compact Router

raleigh1208

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Linksys Compact Router

Saw a buy.com add today that had the Linksys Compact router for something like $11.88 after a $10 MIR and using Google checkout. Good reviews for that portable router and a great price.

FadeToBlack

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
Accoville, WV
Saw a buy.com add today that had the Linksys Compact router for something like $11.88 after a $10 MIR and using Google checkout. Good reviews for that portable router and a great price.

Wow, that's a great deal. I actually ended up buying a small Belkin at Wal-Mart the other day. It looks to be about the same size as the Linksys and since I'd had experience with Belkin routers before, I figured I'd go ahead and get it.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
FWIW all of the recent Airport equipped Macs can be used to make their own wireless networks, so you could probably have skipped the router and used your Mini to bring the network to the PB...

B

FadeToBlack

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
Accoville, WV
FWIW all of the recent Airport equipped Macs can be used to make their own wireless networks, so you could probably have skipped the router and used your Mini to bring the network to the PB...

B

Really?? How does that work? I definitely wasn't aware of this.

thewhitehart

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2005
The town without George Bailey

If you have the link for this, would you tell me? I'm looking for a router for a friend and that would be perfect. I missed out on a nice Staples black friday sale. :(

FadeToBlack

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
Accoville, WV
I just thought of a question about ad hoc networks. Say I create one with my Mac mini, connected my PowerBook to it, would I be able to connect, say, a Wii to it, as well? Basically what I'm saying is, will it be just like having a normal wireless network?

raleigh1208

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Linksys Compact Router

The Linksys compact router deal is here:

http://www.buy.com/prod/Linksys_Com...r_Form_Factor_WRT54GC/q/loc/101/10396532.html

Price is $31.18, less a $10 mail in rebate, for net $21.18. Then if you checkout with Google Checkout, you get another $10 off, making it a net $11.18.

The Google Checkout deal on buy.com is a great deal if buy.com has the item you need. You get $20 off $50 or $10 off $30 purchases from buy.com if you use Google Checkout. You're not limited in the number of times you use the discount. So if you'll looking for two items costing $50 each, you should buy them separately and get $20 off each purchase by using Google Checkout, for a net $40 off $100, a great deal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.