Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I want to refresh a companies branding, but apart the design part, i wish to find a new name. Is there a way to get help in this, somewhere to look like a name thesaurus?

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I dont get in section .18 where it says... "...Twitter’s book and choose a random word from the dictionary"... what do i have to do?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Paraphrase that section as: Do what you might see on Twitter: choose any random word from a dictionary.

I don't know how random this might be:
Close your eyes.
Open a dictionary.
Point somewhere.
Open your eyes.
Use that word.

Just curious - what type of company is this? (What is the company's business?)

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
I want to refresh a companies branding, but apart the design part, i wish to find a new name. Is there a way to get help in this, somewhere to look like a name thesaurus?
Have you cleared the whole "renaming" an entire company with the owner of the company?

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Its about an Accounting Firm and the owner has told me to do as i wish regarding the whole branding processes.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
If I were you, I would clarify with your client that you wish to change the name of the company. This is typically NOT part of a re-branding process.

He may under the assumption that you're just redesigning his logo with the existing name... which would make for a whole lot of work on your part for nothing if he doesn't actually want to change the name.

If a company rename is part of the process, keep in mind that it's not as simple as just picking a new name. A professional would also check for trademark registration conflicts, check to see if a corresponding domain name is available, social media names, etc...

Reactions: mrsebsin and zoran

manjulachatla

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2022
Company branding change means its not an easy. You have to recreate your branding. Company rename is not a simple as picking a new name. Mr.MacGizmo said correct.

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2021
If I were you, I would clarify with your client that you wish to change the name of the company. This is typically NOT part of a re-branding process.

He may under the assumption that you're just redesigning his logo with the existing name... which would make for a whole lot of work on your part for nothing if he doesn't actually want to change the name.

If a company rename is part of the process, keep in mind that it's not as simple as just picking a new name. A professional would also check for trademark registration conflicts, check to see if a corresponding domain name is available, social media names, etc...
+1

Rebranding does not mean renaming. This goes beyond just making fancy new graphics for them, if the name legally changes they will need lawyers as well I believe to get everything changed over to a new name. I would not change the name of a company, especially if they are established. Imagine Having a good reputation under John Smith Accountants and then you go and change it to Number Crunchers Inc. You create confusion among the clients and in general about the company. The only time I see clients go through name changes is when they are bought by another company.

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
For this sort of thing, you would typically approach a consulting firm. One that I would recommend is Lexicon Branding. Among their portfolio, they came up with the Pentium name for Intel, PowerBook for Apple, BlackBerry for RIM, et cetera. They've also done work for automotive companies and consumer staples.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.