Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marty_D1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2024
Hello all.

I've searched web and YouTube, to no avail.

I've got a 2021 MacBook pro (silicone), from an old company I used to work for that no longer exists. (Just found it when cleaning the cupboard under the stairs).

I don't remember the password and the apple ID was theirs also.

I've tried formatting it through utilities, but it's asking for a recovery key, that I don't have.

Is there another way round this recovery key or is the computer just a piece of useless metal now?
I have absolutely no way of getting any passwords etc.

I also assume it's no good even to give away for parts.

Thanks for any help

Best regards
Martin

Last edited:

Marty_D1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2024
Without recovery key, you are out of luck.

Confused… you have seven 2021 M1 MBP laptops you found “cleaning the stairs cupboard”? Seven?
So I cannot even wipe the computer?

What a terrible waste.

Would it be a welcome gift to a local small repair shop?
Or just bin it?

Best
Marty

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
You can always try to restore the firmware using Apple Configurator 2 and another Mac but most likely the laptop is still enrolled in your “old company which doesn’t exist any more” MDM account. You can sell it for parts or you can take it to Apple Store and they will recycle it for free.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Without a way to remove the MDM -- like Bigwaff said -- it's useless to you (or to anyone else, for that matter, except as "parts").

Act accordingly.

Marty_D1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2024
Been in touch with old gaffer.
It's useless, lots have tried with theirs and lots have failed.

Must be that MDM thing you mention.

Bin.

Marty_D1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2024
Thought about that, well giving it to a "local" repair shop. But I can't confirm there's no information on it and I can't wipe it.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Thought about that, well giving it to a "local" repair shop. But I can't confirm there's no information on it and I can't wipe it.
The data on the internal storage is always encrypted. If you can't log into the laptop, the data can't be decrypted. There should be no concern selling or giving it away.

Reactions: Brian33 and chabig
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.