Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RSB96

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 23, 2021
Spain
Comparative iPhone 15 Pro Max vs Google Pixel 8 Pro.

At home I ended up with two of the most recent developments in the world of telephony: the iPhone 15 Pro Max and the Google Pixel 8 Pro, so I take the opportunity to compare them. Let's start.

Exterior.

On the outside, we have two very well built phones, although at this point I'm sticking with the iPhone, now I'll explain why.

53308016617_1573ab10bd_b.jpg

53309240449_c59a100a96_b.jpg

The iPhone has very tight bezels, being one of the phones with the smallest bezel on the market, I think surpassed by the new Xioami 14/14 Pro. That makes it look more stylish and modern to the eye. The iPhone has the "Dynamic Island" for my taste somewhat large, although it has some interesting features.

53309133673_c34716382f_b.jpg

53308882296_997d488716_b.jpg

The Google Pixel 8 Pro has the bezels tighter than the 7 Pro, but they are not completely symmetrical, which considering its price, they should have worked a little more. The Pixel has a perforated front camera, which is not excessively annoying.

53309240569_319bd1f6a1_b.jpg

53309358025_d094c1d71d_b.jpg

The feel of the buttons on the iPhone is exquisite, they do not move to the touch - something that does happen on the Pixel -. The frame, titanium on the iPhone, aluminum on the Pixel, and the back have a more refined feel and the joints between the chassis and the glass is thinner and less "rough" than on the Google Pixel.

53309133638_5fc8c45c16_b.jpg

53309133623_e0efb1f422_b.jpg

53309357850_f58476eaa2_b.jpg

53308016607_f35880411b_b.jpg

53309357890_90df612446_b.jpg

On the back, both have a matte glass. In these cases the phones are black in the case of the Pixel and blue in the case of the iPhone. Both are dirty, very dirty, I recommend if you are very manic about fingerprints go for the lighter colors of both phones.

53309357870_fd7b00933f_b.jpg

53309357920_858639a0a6_b.jpg

53309357985_20669d0da8_b.jpg

Both have a lot of personality. The Pixel has its characteristic band, premiered with the Pixel 6, which this year integrates the three cameras in a single glass, unlike last year. It has the frame in aluminum, in the same tone as the chassis, being just as delicate as in the Pixel 7, so I would strongly recommend putting case to these phones. It also has a thermometer, which is not very useful, honestly.

The iPhone 15 Pro Max features its huge triangular-shaped camera module. The matte and glossy glass in the camera area, remains, despite carrying from the iPhone 11 Pro so, a very elegant solution, at least for my taste. It has a LiDAR that allows advanced functions and improvements in photography, as it allows to analyze the depth of field.

The iPhone in the hand gives the feeling that it is lighter than the Pixel, although it really isn't - the Pixel 8 Pro weighs 213gr and the 15 Pro Max 221gr -. I guess the iPhone's internal components are better distributed, but it feels great in the hand.

However, the Google Pixel 8 Pro, compared to its predecessor, the 7 Pro, improves quite a bit in construction, it feels more careful, the buttons, the joints between the glass and the chassis, is better made than in its predecessor.

The iPhone 15 Pro Max, compared to the iPhone 13 Pro Max feels more compact and lighter, which is appreciated, as the 13 Pro Max (and the 14 Pro Max which is the same) sometimes becomes somewhat uncomfortable in the hand, both by dimensions and weight.

The Pixel 8 Pro is wider than the 7 Pro, I guess because the previous model had the curved screen, which made it narrower. However, despite the above, I find it grips better in the hand.

53308882176_c59a100a96_b.jpg

53309133593_95002fefa0_b.jpg

53309133603_fb0a207a1c_b.jpg

As a final detail, comment that the iPhone, after 16 years, has a standard connector for charging and transferring files, carrying USB-C 3.0.

Display.

Both feature a 6.7" display, with spectacular resolution, adaptive LTPO displays ranging from 1hz to 120hz. The Pixel boasts a peak brightness of 2400 nits, while the iPhone boasts a peak brightness of 2000 nits. In HDR they both reach 1600 nits. A barbarity in both.

53309240404_3ac5582297_b.jpg

53309133553_07eba4279e_b.jpg

53309133728_5ae86f68e3_b.jpg

Both screens are spectacular, and I consider them to be some of the best screens you can have on a phone today. Perfect colors, contrast, etc. I have no complaints with either of them.

The viewing angles on both are very good, but in this regard I think the iPhone is a notch better.

Both have the ability to have AOD, the iPhone's is a bit more customizable, although if you have it with the wallpaper, it honestly feels like the phone never turns off, it's annoying. I don't really like this feature on either phone, so it's something I always turn off.

On the Pixel I miss that it doesn't have the "True Tone", it's something I'm used to on other products and it's something that's nice to have, and that other Android devices

Processor.

We come to the most controversial point of both phones. Both have their own processors.

The iPhone 15 Pro Max carries the A17 Pro, an ARM SoC developed by TSMC on 3nm. The Google Pixel carries the Tensor G3, an ARM SoC developed by Samsung on 5nm.

Personally, I have not had any problems with both, although it is true that I have already configured them with the latest updates. I have not noticed configuring them with excessive heating problems, nor strange things - they got warm as normal in an installation process -.

In terms of power, both are very powerful, fluid and honestly I have not had any problems with both for everyday tasks.

However, the iPhone 15 feels much faster in medium and demanding tasks, especially editing photos with Pixelmator or with the native app. In games the iPhone 15 opens them much faster, keeps the framerate more stable than the Pixel and does not heat up as much in a "prolonged" use (20 minutes).

Pixel with advanced AI tasks, it takes anywhere from 30 seconds to a minute at times, which somewhat detracts from the overall experience, which is generally quite good.

Battery.

I haven't been able to test them much either as I set them up on Thursday and between setting them up and so on, they are still fresh. However, today afternoon, after having charged them Friday morning to the max, the Pixel has 49% and the iPhone 68%, being used the iPhone already with card and as main device (the Pixel still doesn't have SIM card, because I have to order the eSIM).

As I've been reading, I'm guessing the iPhone will be a bit higher in autonomy than the Pixel.

Sound.

The sound on both is good, but I consider the iPhone superior, both in volume and body, having much more bass and midrange.

With both at 50%, the iPhone sounds significantly louder.

The Google Pixel sounds good, but flatter and at maximum volume it gets to distort somewhat, which the iPhone does not.

Software.

This topic is already quite personal and honestly, over the years both systems work very well, being two mature and stable systems, copying each other in functionalities. A pity that there are only two players in software today.

The Google Pixel has Android "Pure", incorporating numerous features from the AI, especially at the photographic level, which give quite a lot of play to the mobile. It is a layer that I like a lot, with own wallpapers and own tones very careful, an interface that "merges" with the background, by using complementary colors to those existing in the background, which makes it go personal and "cozy" for the user. I like the option that has the icons are also displayed in the color of the interface, I find it more visually appealing than with the "standard" icons, although it is not with all apps.

With Android 14, we can slightly customize the lock screen, just like in iOS since version 16, having plenty to choose from.

The Pixel has infinite functions that I have not even been able to test, but in general terms it goes very well, everything works smoothly and without any problems.

In addition, with this phone we have 7 years of updates, an important milestone for those who put up with the phone a lot. Apple never says until when it updates, usually about 5/6 years, depending on the model and software version. We'll see if Apple says something in the future or remains at the "expense" of what comes, as it usually does.

iOS 17 is a minor update of iOS 16. Now with iOS 17.1 version brings greater stability and significantly improves the autonomy of all phones. iOS is a very neat layer, although increasingly complex and with some things that put me off, as the menu to customize the action button, for example, that little or nothing resembles the settings of any other aspect of the phone and that for my taste is... strange.

The connectivity of iOS with the Apple ecosystem is fantastic, which is why many people stay (we stay) within Apple. AirDrop, AirPlay, Handoff, are details that when you use them daily you value and appreciate. The connection with AirPods between devices is very comfortable, as well as the Apple Watch, which for me is still the best smartwatch on the market and the "anchor" of many to not leave iOS.

However, I find that notification control on Android is still superior to iOS, despite attempts to improve it.

On the other hand, I consider that the quality of apps on iOS is still superior to Android, especially at the aesthetic level, since Apple is much more demanding in this regard than Google, which seems to me a mistake, since you lose a little of the "experience" when using certain apps on Android, which feel taken directly from iOS and it feels... weird.

In short, we have two great operating systems, each with its strengths and weaknesses. However, today I do not understand the "war" between Android and iOS, since they are two excellent operating systems that work very well. That both have been taking "ideas" from each other is the best for us, and today they are at a very high aesthetic and functional level.

Google this year bet everything on AI, and over time I will be testing all those features. Apple seems to be going for it with iOS 18, we'll see what it has in store for us in that regard.

From iOS I would like a redesign of the general interface, since since iOS 7 have been with a very similar design and seeing the "Material UI" of Pixel, something like this in Apple would seem interesting to me. Also a better management of notifications.

On Android I would like to see more visual cohesion between native and third-party apps, as well as somewhat smoother animations.

Cameras.

Let's get down to what interests me most. The cameras. Both opt for a similar camera system, with 3 main lenses, one ultra-wide-angle, one wide-angle, 2x zoom and 5x optical zoom, periscopic on the Pixel and tetraprism on the iPhone.

The technical characteristics of the Pixel cameras are as follows:

53308882286_1b6627c9b5_b.jpg

Main camera: 50 MP, f/1.7, 25mm (wide angle), 1/1.31" sensor size, OIS. It sports a GNV ISOCELL, as opposed to the GN1 ISOCELL equipped by previous Pixels.

Telephoto camera: 48 MP, f/2.8, 113mm (telephoto), 1/2.55" sensor size, 5x optical zoom.

Ultra wide-angle camera: 48 MP, f/2.0, 126˚ (ultra wide-angle).

The camera features of the iPhone 15 Pro Max are as follows:

53309358000_211ed996d5_b.jpg

Main camera: 48MP, f/1.78, 24mm, 1/1.28", 1.22µm, dual pixel PDAF, sensor-shift OIS.

Telephoto camera: 12 MP, f/2.8, 120mm, 1.12µm, dual pixel PDAF, 3D sensor-shift OIS, 5x optical zoom.

Ultra wide-angle camera: 12MP, f/2.2, 13mm, 120˚, 1/2.55", 1.4µm, dual pixel PDAF

On paper, the iPhone 15 Pro Max has identical photographic hardware to the iPhone 14 Pro Max, except for the telephoto lens.

However, in the Pixel all the sensors have been modified this year, all already having a similar resolution and the telephoto lens has noticeably improved its focal length to offer, in theory, better photographic quality in low light conditions.

A priori I thought that the results would be similar, but surprisingly they are not. The processing of the iPhone and the Google are totally opposite, which I don't think is a bad thing, since both offer a particular "look" of their own, which can be liked more or less, but that's what post-processing is for.

Let's get down to business.I put the photos together, so as not to fill everything with photos and try to do everything in a single thread. The ones on the left are from the Pixel and the ones on the right are from the iPhone.

If anyone wants to see the original photos:

In daytime photography, in backlit scenes both do a good job. In the first photo, taken with the 5X zoom, shortly after sunrise and with the sun still low, both take a pretty good shot. However, the iPhone, as it always tends to do, takes a fairly warm shot, to the detriment of the Pixel, which tends to take cooler pictures. Neither does a white balance like the actual scene.

53309526805_86d68b17aa_b.jpg

53309300348_1cacc60015_b.jpg

Going more in depth, the iPhone has more contrast, perhaps a bit too much contrast, the Pixel perhaps lacks a bit of contrast to its detriment, and the Pixel's definition and detail is distinctly superior.

In this first shot I would go with the Pixel photo.

In daytime shots, this shot taken at 0.5X, we again observe a warmer shot on the iPhone and cooler on the Pixel, with the Google model's white balance being more realistic. The iPhone has slightly more noise, but has more definition and deforms the image less than the Google model. The Pixel overexposes the scene, with the iPhone doing a better job with lighting.

53309050101_c6672c2898_b.jpg

In this shot I'm sticking with the iPhone.

Now the same shot at 1X, we observe similar behavior in both cameras. HDR does a better job on the iPhone, but overexposes slightly more than the Pixel. On the subject of definition and sharpness, I see them on par, perhaps slightly the Pixel is superior in definition, but the differences are negligible.

53309526575_7f573753a6_b.jpg

53308185107_80a104eed7_b.jpg

In this shot I'm sticking with the Pixel.

The following shot of the same scene at 2X, in which both do an "optical quality crop", we observe a homogeneous behavior in both phones. In terms of "cropping", I consider that the Pixel maintains better quality than the iPhone, as I observe better detail and sharpness in the decorative elements of the pillars and in the railings of the railings.

53309408329_c63ed274dc_b.jpg

The iPhone does a better job with the lighting, the Pixel perhaps overexposes a bit too much, especially in the upper glass area.

In this shot I have a hard time deciding. I think I'd pick the iPhone, but I like both, really.

The last shot, with the 5X zoom, in neither the white balance is perfect, as both tend to a warmer tone. In terms of sharpness and detail the Pixel is clearly superior to the iPhone, with details of ornamental elements being better observed on the Google. Light treatment is better on the Pixel than on the iPhone.

53309050056_77fcbd261e_b.jpg

53309408144_d0f5904278_b.jpg

In another daytime shot, taken at 1X, we note that, interestingly, the white balance on the Pixel is warmer than on the iPhone. HDR on both works well, the Pixel controls the highlights better, the iPhone overexposes the scene a bit. I like the contrast better on the Pixel. Detail and sharpness is better on the Pixel.

53309408284_8203c6dfba_b.jpg

53309526370_9b3229b0d5_b.jpg

In this shot the Pixel wins.

Another of the same scene, taken with the 5X zoom, the Pixel again tends to a warmer balance than the iPhone, has higher contrast, although I think the iPhone has better lighting control. In terms of sharpness and detail both offer similar detail, somewhat higher on the Pixel, but in this case the differences are very small.

53309526500_bd8a5d0fa4_b.jpg

The iPhone offers a more "real" image, while the Pixel offers a photograph with a more visually appealing look. I personally like the Pixel's better.

In the next photo, taken with the 1X, already at dusk, we observe that the iPhone tends to a warmer white balance, the Pixel being more realistic in this scene, cooler. The iPhone contrasts the photo more and controls the highlights better than the Pixel. The Pixel has more definition and detail.

53309408649_8b5c2c20e6_b.jpg

53309300323_1585d7bbe7_b.jpg

In this shot I would go with the Pixel.

In the next shot, also at 1X, we observe a tree, at sunset. Warmer white balance on the iPhone, cooler on the Pixel. In this case the HDR works better on the iPhone, giving much more information from the tree than the Pixel. Detail in this case is similar, perhaps slightly better on the Pixel.

53309300728_82f5006005_b.jpg

In this scene I'm sticking with the iPhone.

Next photo, with the 5X zoom, I consider the Pixel a direct winner. The HDR does a good job, good detail and sharpness for the low light that was in the environment. The iPhone takes a much darker shot, leaving less detail, sharpness and definition than the Pixel.

53309408559_2ccda12374_b.jpg

In this photograph, taken at 2X "optical" on both, we observe something similar to the other photograph. Same white balance and better HDR work on the iPhone. At detail level both are similar.

53308185617_1cb5b78161_b.jpg

In this picture I'm sticking with the iPhone.

This scene of a door, quite dark, in 5X, in the Pixel the night mode was activated, not so in the iPhone. Although the Pixel gets more light (because of the night mode), I consider that the iPhone photograph, despite being darker and having more noise, I see more sharpness and better control of the lights.

53308185607_2ef9144b82_b.jpg

I'll stick with the iPhone photograph.

A photograph of a new Hyundai Kona. The iPhone with a warmer white balance, the Pixel cooler, somewhat more realistic. I notice more detail in the iPhone, and better HDR in the Pixel.

53309408484_6fbe3238f5_b.jpg

53309408194_a759331e91_b.jpg

I would go with the iPhone photograph.

Another shot at 2X. Same white balance as the rest of the photos, slightly more realistic on the Pixel, the iPhone in low light tends to take warmer photos. HDR works better on the Pixel, giving a much more vivid and better processed scene.

53308185542_64ff18b9a8_b.jpg

Here a clear win for the Pixel.

A wide-angle shot at night. In this shot I consider that both deform relatively little the extremes. In the iPhone, in addition to a warmer white balance, we observe more noise in the image and better control of the lights, which is seen in the illuminated turret. In detail the Pixel wins by quite a bit.

53309050216_6fa69b11fe_b.jpg

I have a hard time deciding which one is better, I think I would go with the Pixel one.

Another wide angle shot, of a nice DS3. The Pixel illuminates the scene much better and has a bit more detail, as you can see on the car tire or the building. The lights are better controlled on the iPhone. I think the iPhone distorts the image somewhat less.

53309300548_520881d53c_b.jpg

53309049906_ed802d4c2a_b.jpg

Here I'll stick with the Pixel one.

A photo of a cloud already getting dark, at 5X. The iPhone I think does a better white balance, but the detail and definition is better on the Pixel.

53309050141_4860d50a10_b.jpg

Very similar photo between the two. I think I would go with the iPhone.

Another photo of a street lit by streetlights taken at 5X. The Pixel does something weird with streetlights, but it has better white balance and sharpness. It also controls the highlights better, as you can see in the trees where you can see more detail in the lit areas than on the iPhone. The iPhone has much more noise and is warmer, which is a bit excessive in this photograph.

53309300543_98a6c0259e_b.jpg

53308185097_5ee47e52db_b.jpg

I'll stick with the Pixel one.

The last one, at 2X. The iPhone has a warmer shot and I think it matched the actual scene better than on the Pixel. The Pixel gives more light to the dark areas. Detail level is similar, slightly better on the Pixel.

53309300488_3f36bc4cba_b.jpg

Again I'm having a hard time deciding between the two, maybe I'd go with the iPhone.

In summary, I consider that both offer a very good photographic level, each one with its own particularities, which I consider positive, since it allows offering different photographic styles and "looks" that will make the user choose what he/she prefers, just as it happens with professional cameras.

The jump in the iPhone between cameras I find more consistent, seeming that there is hardly any difference between cameras. On the Pixel I do find differences between the three cameras, particularly with the telephoto lens. Also the jump between cameras is smoother and more homogeneous on the iPhone, although the Pixel does not do badly at all.

I like the Google Pixel 8 Pro's processing better overall than the iPhone's. In RAW both offer impressive photo quality, with amazing detail quality and sharpness for mobile.

The truth is that both phones take very good pictures and I don't think any photo enthusiast will be disappointed with either phone.

The iPhone 15 Pro Max vastly improves the processing over the iPhone 13 Pro Max I have, which is absolute garbage at the processing level.

The Pixel 8 Pro continues Google's good track record in this regard.

As for video I haven't tested it much, but the iPhone is quite a bit better in terms of white balance, lighting control and stabilization. In this regard, the iPhone is a step above the Google.

The selfie camera is good on both, again, slightly warmer on the iPhone and cooler on the Pixel, but they offer good detail and face information. Neither is a must-have for me. Both have autofocus.

Conclusions.

We have two awesome phones and it will ultimately depend more on what you are used to using more than anything else.

The iPhone is better built, is noticeably faster when you play games or place demands on the phone, has a relatively longer battery life, and shoots better video.

The Pixel offers a slightly superior camera in photography and more advanced AI software.

The differences between the two are quite small, although there are some, and that is what I wanted to reflect in this "comparison".

Google, since the Pixel 6, I consider that it has made a very important leap, being attractive and very good phones, especially in photography, although the Tensor falls somewhat short for the full potential of the phone, although it does not take away that for normal use, it has more than enough power, but in the end, if you want to go further and use the functionalities of the AI... there it falls somewhat short. After having had a 7 Pro, this 8 is another leap in the right direction, improving many aspects of the previous year's model.

The iPhone, as a user of one since I don't even know, is a very mature product... and boring. Having a 13 Pro Max, removing the smaller bezels, the Dynamic Island and camera improvements (notable, but not enough to justify a change on my part), in all other respects is ... the same iPhone as always. Which is not bad, not at all, but today an annual change seems to me totally unjustified, bi-annual, I do not see it either and I would say even tri-annual. Who has an iPhone 11 Pro or earlier, if you notice a big change, but from a 12 to 15 the change are details, which, at the end of the day, few will notice, such as 120hz, a better camera or more power.

Also note that the Pixel costs about €250 less than the iPhone (128GB base vs 256GB base, that too).

And you, which one would you choose?

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
A really great write up. I agreed with a lot of your post. Great to see a subjective review of two fantastic devices. Getting my comment in (and my thanks for a great post) before the inevitable fan boy wars start and the snow flakes start picking you apart for choosing one over the other and having an opinion.

I too, like many others in this subsection, have both the same devices and am struggling to pick between the two.
I could HAPPILY take either and be very pleased with it. However the iPhone just pips it for me this year despite always choosing Pixels for the last two years.

I haven't shot RAW yet with the Pixel but may give it a go on my dog walk tomorrow and see what the results are like. Your photo comparison is brilliant.

Thanks again for such a thorough post.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Comparative iPhone 15 Pro Max vs Google Pixel 8 Pro.

At home I ended up with two of the most recent developments in the world of telephony: the iPhone 15 Pro Max and the Google Pixel 8 Pro, so I take the opportunity to compare them. Let's start.

Exterior.

On the outside, we have two very well built phones, although at this point I'm sticking with the iPhone, now I'll explain why.

53308016617_1573ab10bd_b.jpg

53309240449_c59a100a96_b.jpg

The iPhone has very tight bezels, being one of the phones with the smallest bezel on the market, I think surpassed by the new Xioami 14/14 Pro. That makes it look more stylish and modern to the eye. The iPhone has the "Dynamic Island" for my taste somewhat large, although it has some interesting features.

53309133673_c34716382f_b.jpg

53308882296_997d488716_b.jpg

The Google Pixel 8 Pro has the bezels tighter than the 7 Pro, but they are not completely symmetrical, which considering its price, they should have worked a little more. The Pixel has a perforated front camera, which is not excessively annoying.

53309240569_319bd1f6a1_b.jpg

53309358025_d094c1d71d_b.jpg

The feel of the buttons on the iPhone is exquisite, they do not move to the touch - something that does happen on the Pixel -. The frame, titanium on the iPhone, aluminum on the Pixel, and the back have a more refined feel and the joints between the chassis and the glass is thinner and less "rough" than on the Google Pixel.

53309133638_5fc8c45c16_b.jpg

53309133623_e0efb1f422_b.jpg

53309357850_f58476eaa2_b.jpg

53308016607_f35880411b_b.jpg

53309357890_90df612446_b.jpg

On the back, both have a matte glass. In these cases the phones are black in the case of the Pixel and blue in the case of the iPhone. Both are dirty, very dirty, I recommend if you are very manic about fingerprints go for the lighter colors of both phones.

53309357870_fd7b00933f_b.jpg

53309357920_858639a0a6_b.jpg

53309357985_20669d0da8_b.jpg

Both have a lot of personality. The Pixel has its characteristic band, premiered with the Pixel 6, which this year integrates the three cameras in a single glass, unlike last year. It has the frame in aluminum, in the same tone as the chassis, being just as delicate as in the Pixel 7, so I would strongly recommend putting case to these phones. It also has a thermometer, which is not very useful, honestly.

The iPhone 15 Pro Max features its huge triangular-shaped camera module. The matte and glossy glass in the camera area, remains, despite carrying from the iPhone 11 Pro so, a very elegant solution, at least for my taste. It has a LiDAR that allows advanced functions and improvements in photography, as it allows to analyze the depth of field.

The iPhone in the hand gives the feeling that it is lighter than the Pixel, although it really isn't - the Pixel 8 Pro weighs 213gr and the 15 Pro Max 221gr -. I guess the iPhone's internal components are better distributed, but it feels great in the hand.

However, the Google Pixel 8 Pro, compared to its predecessor, the 7 Pro, improves quite a bit in construction, it feels more careful, the buttons, the joints between the glass and the chassis, is better made than in its predecessor.

The iPhone 15 Pro Max, compared to the iPhone 13 Pro Max feels more compact and lighter, which is appreciated, as the 13 Pro Max (and the 14 Pro Max which is the same) sometimes becomes somewhat uncomfortable in the hand, both by dimensions and weight.

The Pixel 8 Pro is wider than the 7 Pro, I guess because the previous model had the curved screen, which made it narrower. However, despite the above, I find it grips better in the hand.

53308882176_c59a100a96_b.jpg

53309133593_95002fefa0_b.jpg

53309133603_fb0a207a1c_b.jpg

As a final detail, comment that the iPhone, after 16 years, has a standard connector for charging and transferring files, carrying USB-C 3.0.

Display.

Both feature a 6.7" display, with spectacular resolution, adaptive LTPO displays ranging from 1hz to 120hz. The Pixel boasts a peak brightness of 2400 nits, while the iPhone boasts a peak brightness of 2000 nits. In HDR they both reach 1600 nits. A barbarity in both.

53309240404_3ac5582297_b.jpg

53309133553_07eba4279e_b.jpg

53309133728_5ae86f68e3_b.jpg

Both screens are spectacular, and I consider them to be some of the best screens you can have on a phone today. Perfect colors, contrast, etc. I have no complaints with either of them.

The viewing angles on both are very good, but in this regard I think the iPhone is a notch better.

Both have the ability to have AOD, the iPhone's is a bit more customizable, although if you have it with the wallpaper, it honestly feels like the phone never turns off, it's annoying. I don't really like this feature on either phone, so it's something I always turn off.

On the Pixel I miss that it doesn't have the "True Tone", it's something I'm used to on other products and it's something that's nice to have, and that other Android devices

Processor.

We come to the most controversial point of both phones. Both have their own processors.

The iPhone 15 Pro Max carries the A17 Pro, an ARM SoC developed by TSMC on 3nm. The Google Pixel carries the Tensor G3, an ARM SoC developed by Samsung on 5nm.

Personally, I have not had any problems with both, although it is true that I have already configured them with the latest updates. I have not noticed configuring them with excessive heating problems, nor strange things - they got warm as normal in an installation process -.

In terms of power, both are very powerful, fluid and honestly I have not had any problems with both for everyday tasks.

However, the iPhone 15 feels much faster in medium and demanding tasks, especially editing photos with Pixelmator or with the native app. In games the iPhone 15 opens them much faster, keeps the framerate more stable than the Pixel and does not heat up as much in a "prolonged" use (20 minutes).

Pixel with advanced AI tasks, it takes anywhere from 30 seconds to a minute at times, which somewhat detracts from the overall experience, which is generally quite good.

Battery.

I haven't been able to test them much either as I set them up on Thursday and between setting them up and so on, they are still fresh. However, today afternoon, after having charged them Friday morning to the max, the Pixel has 49% and the iPhone 68%, being used the iPhone already with card and as main device (the Pixel still doesn't have SIM card, because I have to order the eSIM).

As I've been reading, I'm guessing the iPhone will be a bit higher in autonomy than the Pixel.

Sound.

The sound on both is good, but I consider the iPhone superior, both in volume and body, having much more bass and midrange.

With both at 50%, the iPhone sounds significantly louder.

The Google Pixel sounds good, but flatter and at maximum volume it gets to distort somewhat, which the iPhone does not.

Software.

This topic is already quite personal and honestly, over the years both systems work very well, being two mature and stable systems, copying each other in functionalities. A pity that there are only two players in software today.

The Google Pixel has Android "Pure", incorporating numerous features from the AI, especially at the photographic level, which give quite a lot of play to the mobile. It is a layer that I like a lot, with own wallpapers and own tones very careful, an interface that "merges" with the background, by using complementary colors to those existing in the background, which makes it go personal and "cozy" for the user. I like the option that has the icons are also displayed in the color of the interface, I find it more visually appealing than with the "standard" icons, although it is not with all apps.

With Android 14, we can slightly customize the lock screen, just like in iOS since version 16, having plenty to choose from.

The Pixel has infinite functions that I have not even been able to test, but in general terms it goes very well, everything works smoothly and without any problems.

In addition, with this phone we have 7 years of updates, an important milestone for those who put up with the phone a lot. Apple never says until when it updates, usually about 5/6 years, depending on the model and software version. We'll see if Apple says something in the future or remains at the "expense" of what comes, as it usually does.

iOS 17 is a minor update of iOS 16. Now with iOS 17.1 version brings greater stability and significantly improves the autonomy of all phones. iOS is a very neat layer, although increasingly complex and with some things that put me off, as the menu to customize the action button, for example, that little or nothing resembles the settings of any other aspect of the phone and that for my taste is... strange.

The connectivity of iOS with the Apple ecosystem is fantastic, which is why many people stay (we stay) within Apple. AirDrop, AirPlay, Handoff, are details that when you use them daily you value and appreciate. The connection with AirPods between devices is very comfortable, as well as the Apple Watch, which for me is still the best smartwatch on the market and the "anchor" of many to not leave iOS.

However, I find that notification control on Android is still superior to iOS, despite attempts to improve it.

On the other hand, I consider that the quality of apps on iOS is still superior to Android, especially at the aesthetic level, since Apple is much more demanding in this regard than Google, which seems to me a mistake, since you lose a little of the "experience" when using certain apps on Android, which feel taken directly from iOS and it feels... weird.

In short, we have two great operating systems, each with its strengths and weaknesses. However, today I do not understand the "war" between Android and iOS, since they are two excellent operating systems that work very well. That both have been taking "ideas" from each other is the best for us, and today they are at a very high aesthetic and functional level.

Google this year bet everything on AI, and over time I will be testing all those features. Apple seems to be going for it with iOS 18, we'll see what it has in store for us in that regard.

From iOS I would like a redesign of the general interface, since since iOS 7 have been with a very similar design and seeing the "Material UI" of Pixel, something like this in Apple would seem interesting to me. Also a better management of notifications.

On Android I would like to see more visual cohesion between native and third-party apps, as well as somewhat smoother animations.

Cameras.

Let's get down to what interests me most. The cameras. Both opt for a similar camera system, with 3 main lenses, one ultra-wide-angle, one wide-angle, 2x zoom and 5x optical zoom, periscopic on the Pixel and tetraprism on the iPhone.

The technical characteristics of the Pixel cameras are as follows:

53308882286_1b6627c9b5_b.jpg

Main camera: 50 MP, f/1.7, 25mm (wide angle), 1/1.31" sensor size, OIS. It sports a GNV ISOCELL, as opposed to the GN1 ISOCELL equipped by previous Pixels.

Telephoto camera: 48 MP, f/2.8, 113mm (telephoto), 1/2.55" sensor size, 5x optical zoom.

Ultra wide-angle camera: 48 MP, f/2.0, 126˚ (ultra wide-angle).

The camera features of the iPhone 15 Pro Max are as follows:

53309358000_211ed996d5_b.jpg

Main camera: 48MP, f/1.78, 24mm, 1/1.28", 1.22µm, dual pixel PDAF, sensor-shift OIS.

Telephoto camera: 12 MP, f/2.8, 120mm, 1.12µm, dual pixel PDAF, 3D sensor-shift OIS, 5x optical zoom.

Ultra wide-angle camera: 12MP, f/2.2, 13mm, 120˚, 1/2.55", 1.4µm, dual pixel PDAF

On paper, the iPhone 15 Pro Max has identical photographic hardware to the iPhone 14 Pro Max, except for the telephoto lens.

However, in the Pixel all the sensors have been modified this year, all already having a similar resolution and the telephoto lens has noticeably improved its focal length to offer, in theory, better photographic quality in low light conditions.

A priori I thought that the results would be similar, but surprisingly they are not. The processing of the iPhone and the Google are totally opposite, which I don't think is a bad thing, since both offer a particular "look" of their own, which can be liked more or less, but that's what post-processing is for.

Let's get down to business.I put the photos together, so as not to fill everything with photos and try to do everything in a single thread. The ones on the left are from the Pixel and the ones on the right are from the iPhone.

If anyone wants to see the original photos:

In daytime photography, in backlit scenes both do a good job. In the first photo, taken with the 5X zoom, shortly after sunrise and with the sun still low, both take a pretty good shot. However, the iPhone, as it always tends to do, takes a fairly warm shot, to the detriment of the Pixel, which tends to take cooler pictures. Neither does a white balance like the actual scene.

53309526805_86d68b17aa_b.jpg

53309300348_1cacc60015_b.jpg

Going more in depth, the iPhone has more contrast, perhaps a bit too much contrast, the Pixel perhaps lacks a bit of contrast to its detriment, and the Pixel's definition and detail is distinctly superior.

In this first shot I would go with the Pixel photo.

In daytime shots, this shot taken at 0.5X, we again observe a warmer shot on the iPhone and cooler on the Pixel, with the Google model's white balance being more realistic. The iPhone has slightly more noise, but has more definition and deforms the image less than the Google model. The Pixel overexposes the scene, with the iPhone doing a better job with lighting.

53309050101_c6672c2898_b.jpg

In this shot I'm sticking with the iPhone.

Now the same shot at 1X, we observe similar behavior in both cameras. HDR does a better job on the iPhone, but overexposes slightly more than the Pixel. On the subject of definition and sharpness, I see them on par, perhaps slightly the Pixel is superior in definition, but the differences are negligible.

53309526575_7f573753a6_b.jpg

53308185107_80a104eed7_b.jpg

The following shot of the same scene at 2X, in which both do an "optical quality crop", we observe a homogeneous behavior in both phones. In terms of "cropping", I consider that the Pixel maintains better quality than the iPhone, as I observe better detail and sharpness in the decorative elements of the pillars and in the railings of the railings.

53309408329_c63ed274dc_b.jpg

The iPhone does a better job with the lighting, the Pixel perhaps overexposes a bit too much, especially in the upper glass area.

In this shot I have a hard time deciding. I think I'd pick the iPhone, but I like both, really.

The last shot, with the 5X zoom, in neither the white balance is perfect, as both tend to a warmer tone. In terms of sharpness and detail the Pixel is clearly superior to the iPhone, with details of ornamental elements being better observed on the Google. Light treatment is better on the Pixel than on the iPhone.

53309050056_77fcbd261e_b.jpg

53309408144_d0f5904278_b.jpg

In another daytime shot, taken at 1X, we note that, interestingly, the white balance on the Pixel is warmer than on the iPhone. HDR on both works well, the Pixel controls the highlights better, the iPhone overexposes the scene a bit. I like the contrast better on the Pixel. Detail and sharpness is better on the Pixel.

53309408284_8203c6dfba_b.jpg

53309526370_9b3229b0d5_b.jpg

In this shot the Pixel wins.

Another of the same scene, taken with the 5X zoom, the Pixel again tends to a warmer balance than the iPhone, has higher contrast, although I think the iPhone has better lighting control. In terms of sharpness and detail both offer similar detail, somewhat higher on the Pixel, but in this case the differences are very small.

53309526500_bd8a5d0fa4_b.jpg

The iPhone offers a more "real" image, while the Pixel offers a photograph with a more visually appealing look. I personally like the Pixel's better.

In the next photo, taken with the 1X, already at dusk, we observe that the iPhone tends to a warmer white balance, the Pixel being more realistic in this scene, cooler. The iPhone contrasts the photo more and controls the highlights better than the Pixel. The Pixel has more definition and detail.

53309408649_8b5c2c20e6_b.jpg

53309300323_1585d7bbe7_b.jpg

In this shot I would go with the Pixel.

In the next shot, also at 1X, we observe a tree, at sunset. Warmer white balance on the iPhone, cooler on the Pixel. In this case the HDR works better on the iPhone, giving much more information from the tree than the Pixel. Detail in this case is similar, perhaps slightly better on the Pixel.

53309300728_82f5006005_b.jpg

In this scene I'm sticking with the iPhone.

Next photo, with the 5X zoom, I consider the Pixel a direct winner. The HDR does a good job, good detail and sharpness for the low light that was in the environment. The iPhone takes a much darker shot, leaving less detail, sharpness and definition than the Pixel.

53309408559_2ccda12374_b.jpg

In this photograph, taken at 2X "optical" on both, we observe something similar to the other photograph. Same white balance and better HDR work on the iPhone. At detail level both are similar.

53308185617_1cb5b78161_b.jpg

In this picture I'm sticking with the iPhone.

This scene of a door, quite dark, in 5X, in the Pixel the night mode was activated, not so in the iPhone. Although the Pixel gets more light (because of the night mode), I consider that the iPhone photograph, despite being darker and having more noise, I see more sharpness and better control of the lights.

53308185607_2ef9144b82_b.jpg

I'll stick with the iPhone photograph.

A photograph of a new Hyundai Kona. The iPhone with a warmer white balance, the Pixel cooler, somewhat more realistic. I notice more detail in the iPhone, and better HDR in the Pixel.

53309408484_6fbe3238f5_b.jpg

53309408194_a759331e91_b.jpg

I would go with the iPhone photograph.

Another shot at 2X. Same white balance as the rest of the photos, slightly more realistic on the Pixel, the iPhone in low light tends to take warmer photos. HDR works better on the Pixel, giving a much more vivid and better processed scene.

53308185542_64ff18b9a8_b.jpg

Here a clear win for the Pixel.

A wide-angle shot at night. In this shot I consider that both deform relatively little the extremes. In the iPhone, in addition to a warmer white balance, we observe more noise in the image and better control of the lights, which is seen in the illuminated turret. In detail the Pixel wins by quite a bit.

53309050216_6fa69b11fe_b.jpg

I have a hard time deciding which one is better, I think I would go with the Pixel one.

Another wide angle shot, of a nice DS3. The Pixel illuminates the scene much better and has a bit more detail, as you can see on the car tire or the building. The lights are better controlled on the iPhone. I think the iPhone distorts the image somewhat less.

53309300548_520881d53c_b.jpg

53309049906_ed802d4c2a_b.jpg

Here I'll stick with the Pixel one.

A photo of a cloud already getting dark, at 5X. The iPhone I think does a better white balance, but the detail and definition is better on the Pixel.

53309050141_4860d50a10_b.jpg

Very similar photo between the two. I think I would go with the iPhone.

Another photo of a street lit by streetlights taken at 5X. The Pixel does something weird with streetlights, but it has better white balance and sharpness. It also controls the highlights better, as you can see in the trees where you can see more detail in the lit areas than on the iPhone. The iPhone has much more noise and is warmer, which is a bit excessive in this photograph.

53309300543_98a6c0259e_b.jpg

53308185097_5ee47e52db_b.jpg

I'll stick with the Pixel one.

The last one, at 2X. The iPhone has a warmer shot and I think it matched the actual scene better than on the Pixel. The Pixel gives more light to the dark areas. Detail level is similar, slightly better on the Pixel.

53309300488_3f36bc4cba_b.jpg

Again I'm having a hard time deciding between the two, maybe I'd go with the iPhone.

In summary, I consider that both offer a very good photographic level, each one with its own particularities, which I consider positive, since it allows offering different photographic styles and "looks" that will make the user choose what he/she prefers, just as it happens with professional cameras.

The jump in the iPhone between cameras I find more consistent, seeming that there is hardly any difference between cameras. On the Pixel I do find differences between the three cameras, particularly with the telephoto lens. Also the jump between cameras is smoother and more homogeneous on the iPhone, although the Pixel does not do badly at all.

I like the Google Pixel 8 Pro's processing better overall than the iPhone's. In RAW both offer impressive photo quality, with amazing detail quality and sharpness for mobile.

The truth is that both phones take very good pictures and I don't think any photo enthusiast will be disappointed with either phone.

The iPhone 15 Pro Max vastly improves the processing over the iPhone 13 Pro Max I have, which is absolute garbage at the processing level.

The Pixel 8 Pro continues Google's good track record in this regard.

As for video I haven't tested it much, but the iPhone is quite a bit better in terms of white balance, lighting control and stabilization. In this regard, the iPhone is a step above the Google.

The selfie camera is good on both, again, slightly warmer on the iPhone and cooler on the Pixel, but they offer good detail and face information. Neither is a must-have for me. Both have autofocus.

Conclusions.

We have two awesome phones and it will ultimately depend more on what you are used to using more than anything else.

The iPhone is better built, is noticeably faster when you play games or place demands on the phone, has a relatively longer battery life, and shoots better video.

The Pixel offers a slightly superior camera in photography and more advanced AI software.

The differences between the two are quite small, although there are some, and that is what I wanted to reflect in this "comparison".

Google, since the Pixel 6, I consider that it has made a very important leap, being attractive and very good phones, especially in photography, although the Tensor falls somewhat short for the full potential of the phone, although it does not take away that for normal use, it has more than enough power, but in the end, if you want to go further and use the functionalities of the AI... there it falls somewhat short. After having had a 7 Pro, this 8 is another leap in the right direction, improving many aspects of the previous year's model.

The iPhone, as a user of one since I don't even know, is a very mature product... and boring. Having a 13 Pro Max, removing the smaller bezels, the Dynamic Island and camera improvements (notable, but not enough to justify a change on my part), in all other respects is ... the same iPhone as always. Which is not bad, not at all, but today an annual change seems to me totally unjustified, bi-annual, I do not see it either and I would say even tri-annual. Who has an iPhone 11 Pro or earlier, if you notice a big change, but from a 12 to 15 the change are details, which, at the end of the day, few will notice, such as 120hz, a better camera or more power.

Also note that the Pixel costs about €250 less than the iPhone (128GB base vs 256GB base, that too).

And you, which one would you choose?
One small point is that the Tensor G3 is a 4nm process chip and not 5nm as you posted. A small point that makes a big difference between the Tensor G2 and G3. We also have an extra core, a new arm v9 architecture. One of the reasons the iPhone feels faster is animation speed. You can go into developer settings by tapping on build number in about phone 10 times and then under animation scale reduce to .5 and things should feel noticeably faster.

The problem with the Pixel 8 Pro is the fact Google didn't use UFS 4.0 storage which is faster and uses less battery. It would have also helped with app launching speeds.

I agree with most of your review. The Pixel 8 Pro is not a direct equivalent of the iPhone 15 Pro Max. It is close in some areas and not so close in others.

In my opinion the cost difference is a lot bigger than the MSRP would have you believe. For one thing it is a lot harder to find decent discounts and good promotions on the iPhone 15 series while Google will discount the phone in November and December and throughput the year. If you consider the pre order deals you got a free Pixel watch 2 which you could sell to offset some of the cost of the new phone or keep it and have a free smartwatch. Apple doesn't offer any pre order bonuses. On top of that the trade in price for the Pixel 7 Pro was the same as selling private party. So the cost of a new Pixel 8 Pro is considerably less in the real world than the MSRP suggests.

I think when you consider sale price or Pre order deals that cost advantage of the Pixel 8 Pro gives you a very premium device for a very decent cost. While the iPhone does have some hardware advantages if you consider the cost difference I think the difference in hardware and build quality is justified.

Another area that you touched on lightly is AI. This is another HUGE differentiator between the two OS and phones. Call screening on iPhone?? Text to speech? Try using Siri as a smart assistant or to use your iPhone hands free?? Forget it. Siri as it is now is a sad joke. Seriously Alexa is smarter.....

There are so many exclusive features only available on a Pixel phone that is a software advantage that all Pixel owners get. It doesn't matter how fast your phone is if it can't do some basic AI stuff. So as great as the iPhone hardware is iOS is lagging behind in some pretty basic features. Even Samsung adopted a version of call screening and you can bet as the Qualcomm 8 gen 3 is rumored to have highly improved AI capabilities that Samsung in partnership with Google will get better features derived from the Pixel series.

You can say that Apple is rumored to release new AI capabilities in the next major release of iOS but it is going to take some time even at release to tweak things and get them working in the real world. And for now these are just rumors so who knows. I have no doubt that Apple can be a leader in the AI space but I think they either have to drop Siri altogether and replace it with something else or fix Siri into something actually usable.

In terms of camera I don't have the iPhone 15 to compare it to as my last iPhone was the 13 Pro Max which is still one of my all time favorite phones I have ever had but I can say the Pixel camera is really good. Video stabilization is much better and should improve over time.

Speakers are much better on the Pixel 8 Pro but Apple has always prioritized audio fidelity so Apple wins here although I really like the sound on the Pixel 8 Pro.

The screen on the Pixel 8 Pro is fantastic and I hate true tone as it always creates a yellow tint that feels unnatural to me. It is the first thing I turn off on all my Apple devices. I do wish Google included a temperature control that you could adjust manually like Samsung. I feel like the Pixel 7 Pro has the best default color temperature of any phone I have ever had. But I still prefer the flat screen and brighter screen of the Pixel 8 Pro.

Tensor G3 or processor.

We have a completely different philosophy and approach by Google in the Tensor G3. Google is not trying to beat anyone else in raw CPU or GPU but lead in AI capabilities. Google is also leveraging the cost savings of producing their own chips and using that to compete in cost. But raw CPU benchmarks completely miss the point of the Pixel experience. Google just wants a chip that is fast enough and has better AI than what was available. They have accomplished that already. Google can optimize their phones in a way no other Android OEM can and that has allowed them to use lower powered chips and deliver an almost equivalent experience to other higher powered phones.

Build quality is another area where I sort of disagree with your post. Sure, I will concede that the iPhone 15 Pro Max is the better built device. However I think Google did a great job of building a very premium feeling phone that is absolutely a pleasure to hold and feel. I don't find any gaps or rough spots on this phone at all. I don't think Titanium 1mm outside frame bonded to Aluminum is anything more than a money grab and marketing gimmick. I can explain more on this but for this post I will just say as much as I have.

The midnight iPhone 15 Pro Max is a beauty and my all time favorite color was the Purple iPhone 14 Pro Max but the Bay blue on the Pixel 8 Pro is really, really nice. The blasted glass back feels amazing. I am not a fan of polished metal on a phone because looking at it the wrong way can scratch it. I think Samsung aluminum armor is actually the best solution because it offers superior scratch resistance of regular aluminum or Titanium is just as light and durable. Titanium is actually a bad frame material because it is so rigid and transfers shock more than aluminum or stainless steel.

The rounded surfaces, matt glass and thin bezels all make the Pixel 8 Pro feel more premium. The thicker side rails due to the flat screen make the phone feel much better in the hand. Honestly I think the Pixel 8 Pro is the most comfortable and well thought out design in terms of comfort of any phone I have had.

The industrial design language Google is using is really good and getting close to the iPhone.

I agree iPhone has a slight edge in build quality and design but Google is really close this year.

Battery life and thermals. Obviously iPhone has had a lead in battery life over Android phones for a while now but the Pixel 8 Pro is a huge improvement and the best Pixel yet. Google cheaped out on the storage and they didn't use a vapor chamber cooling system which would have greatly improved thermals to a point where it would be as good as 8 gen 2. However, Google did use more graphite pads and copper thermal tape that does help. The Tensor G3 is much more efficient than the G2 and doesn't heat up the same or throttle as fast or as bad. Thermals could still be improved but aren't a major bottleneck as it was last year. Battery life has increased dramatically in the Pixel 8 Pro to say it has great battery is no longer a stretch. The Pixel 7 Pro had mediocre battery which was disappointing. I think with time and some updates the Tensor will get even better.

So I generally agree if the cost were exactly the same, if the Pixel didn't have the advanced AI features, the iPhone Pro Max 15 is the better phone. Certainly if gaming is really important Apple has put a lot more focus on the GPU this year and seems to be a trend moving forward.

In my opinion, the Pixel 8 Pro is closer than ever to the best of the best. It can't compete in certain areas with the iPhone 15 but it is superior in other ways so there is not a clear winner. If cost is taken into consideration and what you get specially if you compare a Pixel 8 to an iPhone 15 the Pixel has a lot more features than the iPhone. At the higher end of the spectrum the iPhone is a more compelling device than the Pixel but it is pretty close.

Both phones are great and will improve with software updates. The a17 is a beast and the a18 looks to be even better.

It will be very interesting to see if Apple catches up or even surpasses Google in the AI game.

To me after getting used to the very practical AI features in the Pixel 8 Pro that a lot of the hardware advantages the iPhone have become less important.

So while the Pixel 8 Pro has some compromises and not as good overall hardware compared to the iPhone 15 Pro Max those differences are small in day to day use while the software features are pretty big.

When I consider the cost, promotions, the hardware, design and software the Pixel 8 Pro is my choice.

Give Apple some time to catch up and I can't wait to get a new iPhone 16/17 depending on the future BUT if Google continues to improve the Pixel line and the Tensor gets on TSMC I don't know.....

Reactions: RSB96

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Seems to me the deciding factor if deciding on just one of them is whether you prefer iOS or Android and if you don't mind spending $300 more on the iPhone,..... If you aren't using a trade in on the Pixel which makes it even cheaper. Apple I don't think ever has trade ins. Do they?
Other than that they seem pretty close and you have to split hairs deciding which is "better".
I do think Android has more features than iOS.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tig Bitties

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Seems to me the deciding factor if deciding on just one of them is whether you prefer iOS or Android and if you don't mind spending $300 more on the iPhone,..... If you aren't using a trade in on the Pixel which makes it even cheaper. Apple I don't think ever has trade ins. Do they?
Other than that they seem pretty close and you have to split hairs deciding which is "better".
I do think Android has more features than iOS.
Apple does trade ins at lower than market prices. They haven't ever given a high trade in value for any iPhone I have bought.

For example when I was considering buying the iPhone 14 Pro Max and with my iPhone 13 Pro Max they gave like $650 which when you added taxes on the MSRP meant I still had to cough up $1000 for the new phone vs getting the Pixel 7 Pro for free. Google was giving $870 trade in value and I got the phone on sale for $749.

So you can do a trade in with Apple but it is generally better just to sell your iPhone on the private market.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I don't recall seeing $870 on a trade in lol. That's a lot for a trade in. I've never had the Pro so never paid attention to their trade in value.

$650 from Apple is pretty good for them. Surprised they offered that much.
It's just their phones are really high cost. I mean let's start out with this comparison in this thread that the Pixel 8 Pro is $300 less off the bat than the 15 Pro Max with no trade in and the comparison was neck and neck.

Reactions: Technerd108

krvld

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2023
Main takeaway for me. Back to somewhat normal looking photos we go!

RSB96

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 23, 2021
Spain
Main takeaway for me. Back to somewhat normal looking photos we go!

I'll wait for next year, I hope they put all 48MP cameras and the detail and consistency between cameras will be even less differentiated.

One small point is that the Tensor G3 is a 4nm process chip and not 5nm as you posted. A small point that makes a big difference between the Tensor G2 and G3. We also have an extra core, a new arm v9 architecture. One of the reasons the iPhone feels faster is animation speed. You can go into developer settings by tapping on build number in about phone 10 times and then under animation scale reduce to .5 and things should feel noticeably faster.

The problem with the Pixel 8 Pro is the fact Google didn't use UFS 4.0 storage which is faster and uses less battery. It would have also helped with app launching speeds.

I agree with most of your review. The Pixel 8 Pro is not a direct equivalent of the iPhone 15 Pro Max. It is close in some areas and not so close in others.

In my opinion the cost difference is a lot bigger than the MSRP would have you believe. For one thing it is a lot harder to find decent discounts and good promotions on the iPhone 15 series while Google will discount the phone in November and December and throughput the year. If you consider the pre order deals you got a free Pixel watch 2 which you could sell to offset some of the cost of the new phone or keep it and have a free smartwatch. Apple doesn't offer any pre order bonuses. On top of that the trade in price for the Pixel 7 Pro was the same as selling private party. So the cost of a new Pixel 8 Pro is considerably less in the real world than the MSRP suggests.

I think when you consider sale price or Pre order deals that cost advantage of the Pixel 8 Pro gives you a very premium device for a very decent cost. While the iPhone does have some hardware advantages if you consider the cost difference I think the difference in hardware and build quality is justified.

Another area that you touched on lightly is AI. This is another HUGE differentiator between the two OS and phones. Call screening on iPhone?? Text to speech? Try using Siri as a smart assistant or to use your iPhone hands free?? Forget it. Siri as it is now is a sad joke. Seriously Alexa is smarter.....

There are so many exclusive features only available on a Pixel phone that is a software advantage that all Pixel owners get. It doesn't matter how fast your phone is if it can't do some basic AI stuff. So as great as the iPhone hardware is iOS is lagging behind in some pretty basic features. Even Samsung adopted a version of call screening and you can bet as the Qualcomm 8 gen 3 is rumored to have highly improved AI capabilities that Samsung in partnership with Google will get better features derived from the Pixel series.

You can say that Apple is rumored to release new AI capabilities in the next major release of iOS but it is going to take some time even at release to tweak things and get them working in the real world. And for now these are just rumors so who knows. I have no doubt that Apple can be a leader in the AI space but I think they either have to drop Siri altogether and replace it with something else or fix Siri into something actually usable.

In terms of camera I don't have the iPhone 15 to compare it to as my last iPhone was the 13 Pro Max which is still one of my all time favorite phones I have ever had but I can say the Pixel camera is really good. Video stabilization is much better and should improve over time.

Speakers are much better on the Pixel 8 Pro but Apple has always prioritized audio fidelity so Apple wins here although I really like the sound on the Pixel 8 Pro.

The screen on the Pixel 8 Pro is fantastic and I hate true tone as it always creates a yellow tint that feels unnatural to me. It is the first thing I turn off on all my Apple devices. I do wish Google included a temperature control that you could adjust manually like Samsung. I feel like the Pixel 7 Pro has the best default color temperature of any phone I have ever had. But I still prefer the flat screen and brighter screen of the Pixel 8 Pro.

Tensor G3 or processor.

We have a completely different philosophy and approach by Google in the Tensor G3. Google is not trying to beat anyone else in raw CPU or GPU but lead in AI capabilities. Google is also leveraging the cost savings of producing their own chips and using that to compete in cost. But raw CPU benchmarks completely miss the point of the Pixel experience. Google just wants a chip that is fast enough and has better AI than what was available. They have accomplished that already. Google can optimize their phones in a way no other Android OEM can and that has allowed them to use lower powered chips and deliver an almost equivalent experience to other higher powered phones.

Build quality is another area where I sort of disagree with your post. Sure, I will concede that the iPhone 15 Pro Max is the better built device. However I think Google did a great job of building a very premium feeling phone that is absolutely a pleasure to hold and feel. I don't find any gaps or rough spots on this phone at all. I don't think Titanium 1mm outside frame bonded to Aluminum is anything more than a money grab and marketing gimmick. I can explain more on this but for this post I will just say as much as I have.

The midnight iPhone 15 Pro Max is a beauty and my all time favorite color was the Purple iPhone 14 Pro Max but the Bay blue on the Pixel 8 Pro is really, really nice. The blasted glass back feels amazing. I am not a fan of polished metal on a phone because looking at it the wrong way can scratch it. I think Samsung aluminum armor is actually the best solution because it offers superior scratch resistance of regular aluminum or Titanium is just as light and durable. Titanium is actually a bad frame material because it is so rigid and transfers shock more than aluminum or stainless steel.

The rounded surfaces, matt glass and thin bezels all make the Pixel 8 Pro feel more premium. The thicker side rails due to the flat screen make the phone feel much better in the hand. Honestly I think the Pixel 8 Pro is the most comfortable and well thought out design in terms of comfort of any phone I have had.

The industrial design language Google is using is really good and getting close to the iPhone.

I agree iPhone has a slight edge in build quality and design but Google is really close this year.

Battery life and thermals. Obviously iPhone has had a lead in battery life over Android phones for a while now but the Pixel 8 Pro is a huge improvement and the best Pixel yet. Google cheaped out on the storage and they didn't use a vapor chamber cooling system which would have greatly improved thermals to a point where it would be as good as 8 gen 2. However, Google did use more graphite pads and copper thermal tape that does help. The Tensor G3 is much more efficient than the G2 and doesn't heat up the same or throttle as fast or as bad. Thermals could still be improved but aren't a major bottleneck as it was last year. Battery life has increased dramatically in the Pixel 8 Pro to say it has great battery is no longer a stretch. The Pixel 7 Pro had mediocre battery which was disappointing. I think with time and some updates the Tensor will get even better.

So I generally agree if the cost were exactly the same, if the Pixel didn't have the advanced AI features, the iPhone Pro Max 15 is the better phone. Certainly if gaming is really important Apple has put a lot more focus on the GPU this year and seems to be a trend moving forward.

In my opinion, the Pixel 8 Pro is closer than ever to the best of the best. It can't compete in certain areas with the iPhone 15 but it is superior in other ways so there is not a clear winner. If cost is taken into consideration and what you get specially if you compare a Pixel 8 to an iPhone 15 the Pixel has a lot more features than the iPhone. At the higher end of the spectrum the iPhone is a more compelling device than the Pixel but it is pretty close.

Both phones are great and will improve with software updates. The a17 is a beast and the a18 looks to be even better.

It will be very interesting to see if Apple catches up or even surpasses Google in the AI game.

To me after getting used to the very practical AI features in the Pixel 8 Pro that a lot of the hardware advantages the iPhone have become less important.

So while the Pixel 8 Pro has some compromises and not as good overall hardware compared to the iPhone 15 Pro Max those differences are small in day to day use while the software features are pretty big.

When I consider the cost, promotions, the hardware, design and software the Pixel 8 Pro is my choice.

Give Apple some time to catch up and I can't wait to get a new iPhone 16/17 depending on the future BUT if Google continues to improve the Pixel line and the Tensor gets on TSMC I don't know.....

Thank you very much for your detailed reply. Polite discussion is appreciated.

As for the processor, true, I thought it remained the same as its predecessor. However, for certain processes I still find it a bit tight, especially in photo editing or video games, although in my case the latter I do not value it much, since I do not play hardly with the phone, but it is something noticeable at a glance. In AI tasks I can't directly compare them one against the other, but the Pixel takes its time to process images when using the Magic Editor.

As for prices, almost all Android soon after its launch can be found at a much better price than the iPhone, but I like to compare them with their starting price, since in the end many offers are temporary and are not always at that price.

The AI matter I haven't touched much, because I've barely been able to test it. It is true that they have many features, but in Europe (Spain in my case), many of those features are not available. I think that with Android 14 they have better implemented the call detection. I have to try (when I get my eSIM) these new features. In photography if I have found a native photo editor far superior to the iPhone, but I still have to go deeper into it.

Siri has fallen far behind in certain things, but in my case that I have Alexa and Siri at home, with the theme of home automation, I like Siri more than Alexa. But on the device, Siri is obsolete and we'll see next year with iOS 18.

As for the camera on mobile, with the 13 Pro Max I've ended up very fed up. I shoot always with Halide in pure RAW, as I don't like it even with Halide + ProRAW. The processing it does is terrible, with obvious watercolor effects and little detail and sharpness in objects, looking all like colored, but no detail once you zoom in. The reason I bought the Pixel 7 Pro was for the camera, and with this 8 Pro I see noticeable improvements in the camera.

The iPhone 15 Pro Max has improved a lot, but the 12MP in ultra wide angle and zoom as of today is a bit... disappointing. I'm waiting for the 16 Pro Max (or Ultra) to see if those shortcomings are addressed, as the 13 Pro Max works great.

The build quality on the Pixel is good, superior to the 7 Pro, but considering its price increase, I would appreciate more "perfect" design and finishing details. The buttons on the ones on display in stores move, on mine too. Samsung in the S23 and S23 + also happens that, not so in the Ultra. The buttons themselves have improved in touch and "material", they feel more solid than those of the 7. The finishes of the mobile are good, but the iPhone has a "more premium" feeling.

The joints between glass and chassis are smoother and less "sharp" in the iPhone, without being something excessively noticeable in both, we are not talking about a mobile of 200 euros, of course. The rear glass touch seems to me more pleasant on the 15 Pro, it is softer and silkier than the Google.

Then the issue of bezels, it is noticeable, although it is not a huge difference. That today the Pixel still has a lower bezel somewhat thicker than the rest is something to review in a High end phone. It improves substantially to the 7 Pro, that if.

The design of the Pixel seems to me one of the best today, and the iPhone I think it needs a refresh on the back, that apart from the camera being bigger year after year, they remain the same since 11 Pro.

Battery life is also quite preliminary in this comparison, as I've had both for 4 days (the iPhone 15 Pro Max is my father's, the Pixel is mine). But with similar usage this weekend (setup, installation, testing cameras and wifi usage mainly), the 15 had noticeably longer autonomy. I'll have to see if the 8 Pro is a real improvement over the 7 Pro, because it was pretty bad in that regard.

Honestly, I had been since the Galaxy S8 without trying an Android and last year when I bought the 7 Pro I was pleasantly surprised, I sold the 7 Pro because the battery was pretty fair, but this year I feel like using the Pixel 8 Pro even more, while I wait for the supposed iPhone 16 Pro Max (Ultra)....

I would like to try a foldable, but Samsung is not calling me at the moment because of the fold, and the Pixel Fold has the same problem with the fold and is not sold in Europe... we have to wait.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
A lot of people seem to be interested in foldable phones. I am not one of them. I just don't like a plastic screen. I know it is a bendable glass/plastic hybrid but it is a lot easier to scratch. I also would obsess on the crease.

It seems to me that foldable phones have many more failure points than bar phones and need to improve the screen tech. I also don't see the need for a folding phone since my bar phone has a near 7" screen and I have tablets with 11" screens which I prefer over a 7 and half or so inch foldable screen.

A little tip, To extend battery life, increase performance, and improve thermals turn Adaptive Battery off. In Battery section of settings, go to battery saver, then scroll down. You will see a toggle for adaptive battery. Turn it off and see after a few days if it makes a difference?

I don't understand why Google doesn't role out all the features to all regions. I hope they change that soon.

Bezels on the bottom of the large Pro Android phones seem to have a very slight larger chin. The s23 ultra has a similar larger bezel at the bottom but it is very slight just like the Pixel 8 Pro. I do like how iPhones have completely semetrical bezels and hope Android OEM'S improve on this.
I'll wait for next year, I hope they put all 48MP cameras and the detail and consistency between cameras will be even less differentiated.

Thank you very much for your detailed reply. Polite discussion is appreciated.

As for the processor, true, I thought it remained the same as its predecessor. However, for certain processes I still find it a bit tight, especially in photo editing or video games, although in my case the latter I do not value it much, since I do not play hardly with the phone, but it is something noticeable at a glance. In AI tasks I can't directly compare them one against the other, but the Pixel takes its time to process images when using the Magic Editor.

As for prices, almost all Android soon after its launch can be found at a much better price than the iPhone, but I like to compare them with their starting price, since in the end many offers are temporary and are not always at that price.

The AI matter I haven't touched much, because I've barely been able to test it. It is true that they have many features, but in Europe (Spain in my case), many of those features are not available. I think that with Android 14 they have better implemented the call detection. I have to try (when I get my eSIM) these new features. In photography if I have found a native photo editor far superior to the iPhone, but I still have to go deeper into it.

Siri has fallen far behind in certain things, but in my case that I have Alexa and Siri at home, with the theme of home automation, I like Siri more than Alexa. But on the device, Siri is obsolete and we'll see next year with iOS 18.

As for the camera on mobile, with the 13 Pro Max I've ended up very fed up. I shoot always with Halide in pure RAW, as I don't like it even with Halide + ProRAW. The processing it does is terrible, with obvious watercolor effects and little detail and sharpness in objects, looking all like colored, but no detail once you zoom in. The reason I bought the Pixel 7 Pro was for the camera, and with this 8 Pro I see noticeable improvements in the camera.

The iPhone 15 Pro Max has improved a lot, but the 12MP in ultra wide angle and zoom as of today is a bit... disappointing. I'm waiting for the 16 Pro Max (or Ultra) to see if those shortcomings are addressed, as the 13 Pro Max works great.

The build quality on the Pixel is good, superior to the 7 Pro, but considering its price increase, I would appreciate more "perfect" design and finishing details. The buttons on the ones on display in stores move, on mine too. Samsung in the S23 and S23 + also happens that, not so in the Ultra. The buttons themselves have improved in touch and "material", they feel more solid than those of the 7. The finishes of the mobile are good, but the iPhone has a "more premium" feeling.

The joints between glass and chassis are smoother and less "sharp" in the iPhone, without being something excessively noticeable in both, we are not talking about a mobile of 200 euros, of course. The rear glass touch seems to me more pleasant on the 15 Pro, it is softer and silkier than the Google.

Then the issue of bezels, it is noticeable, although it is not a huge difference. That today the Pixel still has a lower bezel somewhat thicker than the rest is something to review in a High end phone. It improves substantially to the 7 Pro, that if.

The design of the Pixel seems to me one of the best today, and the iPhone I think it needs a refresh on the back, that apart from the camera being bigger year after year, they remain the same since 11 Pro.

Battery life is also quite preliminary in this comparison, as I've had both for 4 days (the iPhone 15 Pro Max is my father's, the Pixel is mine). But with similar usage this weekend (setup, installation, testing cameras and wifi usage mainly), the 15 had noticeably longer autonomy. I'll have to see if the 8 Pro is a real improvement over the 7 Pro, because it was pretty bad in that regard.

Honestly, I had been since the Galaxy S8 without trying an Android and last year when I bought the 7 Pro I was pleasantly surprised, I sold the 7 Pro because the battery was pretty fair, but this year I feel like using the Pixel 8 Pro even more, while I wait for the supposed iPhone 16 Pro Max (Ultra)....

I would like to try a foldable, but Samsung is not calling me at the moment because of the fold, and the Pixel Fold has the same problem with the fold and is not sold in Europe... we have to wait.

Reactions: RSB96

goodthymes

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2022
Really nice write up, I actually enjoyed reading it and not cringe skimmed through like so many "professional reviews/influencers blogs" I come across. 👍

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I agree with a poster above that at this point, it feels like everything comes down to your choice of OS and ecosystem.

For example, I already have an iPad, and it's cleaner to be able to share purchases between my iOS devices. Not to mention that there are a number of apps that are iOS only, such as notability, overcast, things, fantastical, ivory and lumihealth, so it would be pretty annoying to switch platforms and then feel like everything is a step down because choosing a worse alternative also means breaking compatibility between your devices.

People say that Siri is objective worst than google now, but I find it suffices for the basic stuff like calling people, quickly messaging people, setting alarms and calendar events, and performing quick calculations. Perhaps I am just not particularly adventurous in this regard.

There are also the accessories like the Apple Watch and AirPods which pretty much dictate your choice of smartphone.

I feel these end up mattering more to people than say, minor differences in camera quality that few may notice once they have been shared over WhatsApp or social media.

Jason2000

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2019
Planet Earth
Excellent comparison.

You wrote..."iOS is a very neat layer, although increasingly complex and with some things that put me off, as the menu to customize the action button, for example, that little or nothing resembles the settings of any other aspect of the phone and that for my taste is... strange."

Some are suggesting this is a glimpse of the rumored iOS interface refresh coming to iOS 18. We shall see.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Very detailed well written post. To me at the end of the day it's the OS that you prefer. Either you like and are more comfortable with Android, or iOS. The hardware and design on both the 15 Pro Max or 8 Pro are great, but in 2024 I think your either and iPhone guy or an Android guy at this point. Or like some [H]ard techies here they use both, but that's not the norm whatsoever.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I agree with a poster above that at this point, it feels like everything comes down to your choice of OS and ecosystem.

For example, I already have an iPad, and it's cleaner to be able to share purchases between my iOS devices. Not to mention that there are a number of apps that are iOS only, such as notability, overcast, things, fantastical, ivory and lumihealth, so it would be pretty annoying to switch platforms and then feel like everything is a step down because choosing a worse alternative also means breaking compatibility between your devices.

People say that Siri is objective worst than google now, but I find it suffices for the basic stuff like calling people, quickly messaging people, setting alarms and calendar events, and performing quick calculations. Perhaps I am just not particularly adventurous in this regard.

There are also the accessories like the Apple Watch and AirPods which pretty much dictate your choice of smartphone.

I feel these end up mattering more to people than say, minor differences in camera quality that few may notice once they have been shared over WhatsApp or social media.
I completely agree with you.

What you wrote is the exact point I was trying to make.

People get bored on a platform and want to switch right away without considering how invested in a particular ecosystem that they are in and it is a lot more than just iMessage to consider.

I personally am a multi platform user but it comes with annoyances and inconveniences that I deal with because having the freedom to use anything any time I want is more important to (Me).

A lot of people just want things to work well together without having to mess with anything and there is no better platform than MacOS,iOS, iPadOS for devices that are interconnected.

But as I said they just see shiny s24 ultra and jump into it and have a terrible experience and then say Android sucks and on and on. If it is done wisely you can use an Android phone alternatively and occasionally to your iPhone with little issues. Then you get the best of both worlds. I would buy something like an s23/24 plus and iPhone 15 Pro as main phone. Then just alternate between them occasionally. Then if you encounter road blocks on the Android you can safely return to iOS.

It is fun to see what both sides of the mobile world are doing with their OS. If you don't put too much money into the Samsung and just do a trade in every so often you can keep using Android for a low price for years.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Very detailed well written post. To me at the end of the day it's the OS that you prefer. Either you like and are more comfortable with Android, or iOS. The hardware and design on both the 15 Pro Max or 8 Pro are great, but in 2024 I think your either and iPhone guy or an Android guy at this point. Or like some [H]ard techies here they use both, but that's not the norm whatsoever.
Spot on.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
If it is done wisely you can use an Android phone alternatively and occasionally to your iPhone with little issues. Then you get the best of both worlds. I would buy something like an s23/24 plus and iPhone 15 Pro as main phone. Then just alternate between them occasionally. Then if you encounter road blocks on the Android you can safely return to iOS.
I personally find substituting the iPhone for an iPad is the way to go.

Because you get all that comes with an iPhone in a much larger experience… I mean, yeah… users miss out on the opportunity to have an Apple Watch. But WearOS isn’t as bad as people make it out to be… Pixel Watch is finally coming out with two sizes and Samsung has been holding it down for awhile now.

However, I know having a cellular iPad and Android phone isn’t for everyone… but I like the combination.

RSB96

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 23, 2021
Spain
I completely agree with you.

What you wrote is the exact point I was trying to make.

People get bored on a platform and want to switch right away without considering how invested in a particular ecosystem that they are in and it is a lot more than just iMessage to consider.

I personally am a multi platform user but it comes with annoyances and inconveniences that I deal with because having the freedom to use anything any time I want is more important to (Me).

A lot of people just want things to work well together without having to mess with anything and there is no better platform than MacOS,iOS, iPadOS for devices that are interconnected.

But as I said they just see shiny s24 ultra and jump into it and have a terrible experience and then say Android sucks and on and on. If it is done wisely you can use an Android phone alternatively and occasionally to your iPhone with little issues. Then you get the best of both worlds. I would buy something like an s23/24 plus and iPhone 15 Pro as main phone. Then just alternate between them occasionally. Then if you encounter road blocks on the Android you can safely return to iOS.

It is fun to see what both sides of the mobile world are doing with their OS. If you don't put too much money into the Samsung and just do a trade in every so often you can keep using Android for a low price for years.
In my case I have the iPhone 13 Pro Max and I have the Pixel 8 Pro because I feel like using Android from time to time. I have the entire Apple ecosystem, which I find very comfortable and practical for day to day life, but I am gradually setting up an alternative non-Apple ecosystem.

I have a Dell Vostro I5, the Pixel 8 Pro and a Samsung Galaxy Tab S9. I also have Sony headphones, the WF-1000XM5 and WH-1000XM4 and use them to go to the gym or play games on the Pixel and on the Galaxy Tab. I'm missing a watch to complete the ecosystem, but that's what I don't find a regular use for, because in the end I always have the Apple Watch Ultra with me.

For example, one thing I miss quite a bit outside of the Apple ecosystem is everything related to Continuity, copy and paste between devices, passwords, etc. All of that is super convenient on a day-to-day basis and although Android has implemented similar systems, it doesn't quite work as well as it does on Apple.

But I like to see the evolution of both systems and see what is better in one or the other. And I would like to get a foldable (maybe the Fold 6, if they improve the folding issue, which for my taste is too notorious and annoying).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.