Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CDN

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2006
I occasionally run Windows on my MBP in order to use a few apps that aren't yet available in UB. Of course, OS X boots almost instantaneously relative to Windows (awesome) . . . but as a recent Mac switcher, I can't help but compare the boot speed of my former Windows machine and the boot speed of my MBP into Windows, and notice that the latter is noticably slower. Anyone else experience this? Is it something to be concerned about?

skibob1027

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2006
Illinois
CDN said:
I occasionally run Windows on my MBP in order to use a few apps that aren't yet available in UB. Of course, OS X boots almost instantaneously relative to Windows (awesome) . . . but as a recent Mac switcher, I can't help but compare the boot speed of my former Windows machine and the boot speed of my MBP into Windows, and notice that the latter is noticably slower. Anyone else experience this? Is it something to be concerned about?

I've noticed this as well. I don't know the cause, but something about holding down the option key during boot causes it to slow up on my Intel iMac, rather than just going straight to the OS selection page.

khisayruou

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2004
I noticed windows would boot up rather quickly after a clean install, but as the weeks progressed, it would boot up slower and slower. Everything running under windows was much slower as well. I did another clean install and it would do the same thing, so naturally I got rid of windows entirely.

I have a intel mac mini core duo.

Terrabit

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2006
Fix to slow windows boot.

Hi.,

The problem appears to be that you need to have the appropriate Intel SATA drivers installed on the CD Installation disc used to install XP. Don't ask me why, i don't know. But i know that i have full speed SATA on my system when following the steps described here:

http://web.mac.com/terrabit/iWeb/macpro/

Please let me know if it works for you.
Terrabit!

p.s. This also fixes the problem of users only having Windows XP Service Pack 1 installation discs.

CDN

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2006
Thanks for the responses!

To Terrabit - the link you sent mentions that the fix is specifically for the Mac Pro - are you saying that the same steps should be taken for a MacBook Pro as well?

Dopeyman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2005
Los Angeles!
Terrabit said:
Hi.,

The problem appears to be that you need to have the appropriate Intel SATA drivers installed on the CD Installation disc used to install XP. Don't ask me why, i don't know. But i know that i have full speed SATA on my system when following the steps described here:

http://web.mac.com/terrabit/iWeb/macpro/

Please let me know if it works for you.
Terrabit!

p.s. This also fixes the problem of users only having Windows XP Service Pack 1 installation discs.

I just ran into this thread, and I too, experience a slow start into winxp pro... But before I start into it, I go into the startup disc option and choose the windows partion as a startup disc.. I don't hit the option key...

Anyway, just wanted to let you know that the link you provided didn't work for me... Got another one? Thanks!

stapler

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2006
Um...that SATA problem shouldn't apply to anything but the Mac Pro, terrabit. Not positive but I think that's the case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.