Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bat6111

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 22, 2009
New York
Hello,

I am new on mac. I have a question about the performance of file sharing between Snow Leopard and Snow Leopard Server.

- Which one is faster and more stable?
- Whats different between those OS X?

PS. Compare only File Sharing Performance.

Thank you very much...I am so newbies.:eek:

MacForScience

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2010
USA
Hello,

I am new on mac. I have a question about the performance of file sharing between Snow Leopard and Snow Leopard Server.

- Which one is faster and more stable?
- Whats different between those OS X?

PS. Compare only File Sharing Performance.

Thank you very much...I am so newbies.:eek:

Unless you plan on running some form of professional fileshare net you don't need server. Server gives you access to areas of the OS that the client version makes hard to access. Is OS X server powerful sure but unless you have server needs its not worth your money.

It would help if you elaborate on what you want to do with it.

Cheers

Bat6111

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 22, 2009
New York
Unless you plan on running some form of professional fileshare net you don't need server. Server gives you access to areas of the OS that the client version makes hard to access. Is OS X server powerful sure but unless you have server needs its not worth your money.

It would help if you elaborate on what you want to do with it.

Cheers

Thank you for replying. I have the first iMac as a main computer and it has a main Data drive in a second bay. I want 3 more iMacs to get accessed the main data drive easily and see that drive as its own drive because all 3 iMacs just has a SSD for OS X.

for right now, I have it set as Bonjour Computer.

thanks,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.