Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DRDR

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
I compared the internal 10 Gbit/s network adapter of my base model Mac Studio (Max) with an external Thunderbolt 3 10 Gbit/s network adapter from Sonnet.

Internal:

internal.png

External:
external.png

The difference seems to be a more conservative power ramp up (take a look at the beginning and the end of the graph) of the internal network adapter, which results in slightly less average speed compared to the external adapter, which is more aggressive using power and does indeed use more power:

power.png

BanditoB

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2009
Chicago, IL
Have you tried running your test with the power-saving feature of the built-in network adapter disabled? That might make a difference.

DRDR

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Have you tried running your test with the power-saving feature of the built-in network adapter disabled? That might make a difference.
No, both adapters have been used with standard settings. I do not even know how to configure these settings for the internal one.

kfscoll

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2009
No, both adapters have been used with standard settings. I do not even know how to configure these settings for the internal one.
Right here:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-19 at 10.52.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-19 at 10.52.10 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 99

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
I actually don't think iStat Menus would include the wattage used by the bus-power device, in your case the 10GbE NIC, therefore the real consumption is even higher and the end of your graph only shows what was consumed by the CPU and internal (Thunderbolt) circuitry while using that external NIC.

I seem to recall seeing similar comparison in the Intel mini or the iMac Pro, with the AQC107 running too hot for the internal cooling to handle. The Sonnet while passively cooled it has a rather large surface area, and it was designed to be performant as a dedicated NIC so your result does not surprise me. I myself am using CalDigit 10G Connect, which has an even more massive passive heatsink, the surface constantly reaches 45 degree C or so but it never drops my speed.

Last edited:

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
There are many factors that can skew the numbers.

However the average speed tells us this is within margin of error ~3% (8888Mbps versus 8609Mbps).

Reactions: Macintosh IIcx
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.