Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RonFromOregon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2008
I have four thin cases I purchased for my iPhone 12 Pro. All four work with my Qi desk charger and my car Qi magnetic mount charger with a metal plate placed between the case and the phone. Except the Spigen - the magnetic hold is so-so because of its thickness. All four also have raised lips around the display and camera. I've purchased dozens of thin cases over the years for my various iPhones. It's frusterating that some of my favorite brands (Spigen, Noot, Tozo, others) aren't making thin cases like the did for previous iPhones. Except for the Pitaka and Tozo, all of the brands I've seen so far are thicker than their previous generations.

Pitaka Air: Advertised as 0.65mm thick, but definitely feels thinner than that, compared to others cases I purchased. I would guess this is actually around 0.35mm-0.4mm thick. I've purchased previous Pitaka thinnest cases for iPhone 11 and X, and this one is by far the thinnest yet.
Pros: Big cutouts top, bottom, and for all buttons and ports, so reaching the buttons and charging port is no problem. High build quality. Can use my iPhone 12 Pro with one hand, but the sharp edges of the case catch my skin now and then.
Cons: Very expensive ($60), the raised edge around the display is minimal but it has sharp edges. Wish it had slightly more grip, but I'm okay with it the way is..

Casekoo Slim Fit: Advertised as 0.35mm thick, but it feels much thicker. Certainly thicker than the Pitaka Air. $20 on Amazon
Pros: Very nice feel, soft edges, hides fingerprints.
Cons: No cutouts for buttons. Stiffness of the material makes it difficult to change volume. Mute is hard to reach. More raised lip around the screen than I like. The bulkiness of this case makes it hard to use my iPhone 12 Pro with one hand.

Spigen Thin Fit. This is the thickest of the four cases. $14 on Amazon.
Pros: Great grip, with just the right amount of pocket slide. Soft, pliable material makes it easy to hold and change the volume.
Cons: Too bulky for me, with large raised edges. My thumb hits the bottom lip every time I "swipe up." No cutouts except for the mute switch, which is hard to reach. There is no way I can use my phone with one hand with this case.

Tozo Ultra-Thin. $8 on Amazon. Very thin, to the point of being flimsy. This is the only translucent case of the bunch.
Pros: Very thin with cutouts for buttons, great price.
Cons: Flimsy material - the sides bend away from the phone during normal use. Not nearly enough grip for me. This case feels slippery. The button cutouts are barely big enough. The buttons are flush with the case so they can be hard to find with your thumb.

For now, the Pitaka Air is my go-to case until a better one comes along. It fits most of my needs except but those sharp raised edges bug me now and then. I really don't understand why usual case manufacturers haven't jumped on the iPhone 12 bandwagon yet, because the current selection isn't what is was for previous iPhones. I'm going to order a Peel case as soon as they hit Amazon, but I'm not so sure about that case because the cutouts are for the individual buttons, rather than large areas that make it easier to use the buttons.

Attachments

• IMG_6547.JPG
    IMG_6547.JPG
    571.9 KB · Views: 527
Last edited:
Reactions: cman-uk

andy769

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
Thanks for the review. I have a pitaka air on the way. Hoping it does the trick for me. Last year the evutec karbon(value) version without the magnets was hands down my favorite thin case. It was perfect. Shame it’s not available yet for the 12 pro/pro max.

rustyosaurus

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2009
Just go the Pitaka Air today for my mini. The case is very thin but feels way sturdier than my Caudabe Veil. I like the way it looks with the cutouts but I'm worried my phone will get damaged there. I drop it often. I do not like that it picks up fingerprints on the back. I would be okay if they rubbed off easily, which they do not. On the fence as to whether I will keep it. It has decent grip - more so than the Veil I think.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.