Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abdulhaq

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 23, 2013
I have an Apple TV 4K 2017 model and I use it with my Samsung 1K TV in my room upstairs. Downstairs in the hall I have a 65" LG 2020 model Nanocell TV which has also 4K and HDR 10 Pro. This TV has also WebOS operating system and it has PLex, Apple TV, YouTube as its apps. I am thinking of buying the new 128 GB Version of the Apple TV with latest features. My LG TV supports HDMI 2.0. I would like to know if my LG TV will be compatible with the new Apple TV and will it be beneficial to me in some ways. Or should I connect my older 2017 model Apple TV to my 4k LG TV and perhaps get a used 2015 1 K Apple TV for my upstairs 1K Samsung TV.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
The A8 in the 2015 ATV4 (HD) will feel slow and sluggish compared to the A10X in the 2017 ATV4K1.

Unless I found a really good deal on an older ATV, I would just buy the 2022 ATV4K3.

I personally do not like the new remote, and if you end up not liking it as well, you can swap the Siri Remotes between ATVs, and use the older remote on a new ATV (which I assume would be more most used one), and use the newer Siri Remote on the older ATVs that you would most likely use less of the time.

As for if it would be worth it, that depends on what you do with TV, ATV, and whether or not you would utilize the features of the 128GB model.

For example, if you have no plans on using the Ethernet, don't need Thread support, and have no plans for using it for games, you might do better with the 64GB version.

What do you plan on using it for?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.