Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dab3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2007
I've been here strange things about incompatibility issues with certain video cards and the Apple DVI Video Adapter (S-Video + Composite).

Therefore I'm wondering if the DVI Adapter is compatible with the 8600M GT MBP Graphics Card... or should I be cancelling my order for the Adapter. (Plus if there is any alternative for S-Video Adapter Hook-up for the MBP15")

Also one other thing. If there isn't any issue with the 2007 MBP Model and the Apple DVI Adapter, just wondering if there is some sort of Option on the mac for auto resolution calibration so I'm not faced with any black borders around the Video when Displayed on the Television Set. Always had that problem with my previous Laptop.

Thanks!

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
I know that on my MacBook i can hook it up to anything with the MiniDVI adapters and it always displays at the best resolutions. Hooking it up to a TV yields 800*600 4:3 and it looks pretty decent. The only issue is that it isnt totally happy with maintaining 1280*800 on the MacBook while connected to TV. However, when I hooked up to a 23" Cinema Series at school over DVI, it looked great and both it and the MacBook ran at default res.

However, just so i am clear with what you are describing...

You have hooked up the DVI-Whatever adapter to a standard desktop video card? And if yes, that card would then display things a little wonky? Were these cards on Windows machines?

dab3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2007
Well I haven't actually received my MacBook Pro yet, but it's going to be shipped soon. I'm just wondering if the DVI (not the miniDVI) would be compatible with the MBP 15".

But yeah, the issues I was having with the Windows XP Based Laptop I used to have was that it did have the issue of not fully adjusting to the full resolution of the TV, having black bars on the outside, from top/bottom/left/right sides.

Thanks again for the reply.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.