Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apples n' Stone

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 13, 2015
Maidstone, U.K
Right; little early I know, but the majesty of the link Bracelet is calling. Yet I think it would be a waste if the second watch will have a different band compatability mechanism. Granted, we cannot predict this properly. But with the doubt, who thinks it will be worth it? As an A-Level student I am not made of money but could easily run a tab if I worked at Apple. I am aware there will likely be a third party adapter in this event, but I think that would look ghastly.

RodThePlod

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
History shows that Apple can be ruthless when it comes to leaving the old behind in favour of the benefits that a new generation/tech/design will bring. So it wouldn't surprise me if the current bands are not compatible with future gens.

I suppose there would be a decent 'second hand' market, though. So if worst comes to worst you could sell the link and recoup some of your money.

p3ntyne

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2014
Sydney, Australia
Apple are very unreliable in terms of keeping standards but I'd expect the the second version to be the last of that style/standard.

There'll be too many complaints from unhappy link bracelet owners otherwise.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Second gen has usually been a design change then second third are same fourth fifth same etc. but they might surprise us. Me? I'm not fussed. If the design changes it changes. Him happy with my current choice.

Polaroid

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
Doubt it will change, if they make watch thinner there is still room to keep the current connector :)

RodThePlod

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
Doubt it will change, if they make watch thinner there is still room to keep the current connector :)

Very true. You never know with Apple, though! I can understand your concern, OP, especially as you're a student who probably doesn't have money to burn. But, like I say, even if it does change I reckon there'll be a healthy used market for these.

There'll be lots of people who've always wanted an 'official' Apple link bracelet to spruce up their first gen, but didn't want to shell out the full price for it. So if you do go for it, I suspect you won't have difficulty selling it on at a later date for a reasonable price ;)

arom

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2008

If that's the case then they better have an option to be able to just buy the watch body. Be crazy if they make people buy a band they may already have that they can use.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
If that's the case then they better have an option to be able to just buy the watch body. Be crazy if they make people buy a band they may already have that they can use.
There will be all new bands for customers to chose from. If you already have one of the "classic" offerings, there will be some new ones. I don't see Apple selling the watch without a band. However, I can imagine a scenario once stock is in stores that you buy a watch, open it, and exchange the band right there in the store for something else sold separately, especially if they don't have the band you want with a watch in stock.

That said, given the supply constraints and relatively small sales predicted for this year, Apple may not be concerned about preserving the watch band connector if they've come up with a much better design for Gen 2. However like the original 30-pin iPod dock connector, they encourage 3rd party offerings, which a sudden change in design would harm. Then again, Apple may not care about third party band makers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.