Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2015
So far both WEMO and Chamberlain MyQ garage door opener have promised their devices would work with Homekit and it's starting to look like that won't happen at all now. Wondering if this has to do with Apple's stringent requirements or something else, in either case it's disappointing. Going forward, if it's not "already" compatible, I won't be banking on any promises.

smharm13

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2010
If you are looking to use wemo with HomeKit I suggest Homebridge. It's an open source project for a DIY HomeKit bridge. There is a wemo plugin I use that works really well to control your lights via Siri

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2015
If you are looking to use wemo with HomeKit I suggest Homebridge. It's an open source project for a DIY HomeKit bridge. There is a wemo plugin I use that works really well to control your lights via Siri
I've decided to go with Amazon Echo which seems much more ubiquitous than Siri, which lacks support for most home enabled devices for whatever reason.

chuyn

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2015
... which lacks support for most home enabled devices for whatever reason.
I'm willing to bet this has all to do with meeting the security requirements and whatnot. After watching a few devices add the promised HomeKit support now, they've all released new versions of the product. Ecobee3, August smart locks, and now Honeywell Lyrics for example. And each time customers complained and the manufacturer has said something along the lines of needing to use HomeKit compatible chips/hardware and it couldn't be done with a software update, and it was harder than initially anticipated. Maybe firmware upgrades were an option early on and got scrapped... but either way, any product now that has been adding HomeKit support has been doing so by releasing a revised version. I was waiting on the Chamberlain promise as well, but by the looks of it, they probably have the same issues as others. Could be taking longer than expected but no one seems allowed to even give an estimate of their plans.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.