Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JesalTV

Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
London
Everyone keeps commenting on how disappointing it is to not yet have firm pricing for various iPhone competitors that have already been announced - e.g. the Nokia 920, or the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 amongst others.

Surely this is because they are waiting for the iPhone 5 to be announced, with pricing, and then will undercut that price.

Are we reaching a point in the smartphone wars where price will become more of a competitive factor? Or is the phone company subsidy model still too prevalent?

BmoreDrumGuy

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Hard to say why they are waiting for the announcement of pricing, but also their respective release dates. Personally, I find that to be a major blunder. If I'm enticed by a phone now, I wouldn't want to spend the next month or longer wanting it, only to be disappointed by the pricing later on down the road. For me, I like that Apple tells how much it'll be right there in the keynote. Although, this year, it's going to take a bit more to sell me on the newest iPhone, regardless of the price.

I've had many android phones, including the S3 and the Note, neither one of them would sway me away from how the iPhones work for me. Regardless of subsidies and a lower price. Android is just too convoluted for my personal tastes and likes. For others, that may be a non-issue. It just feels....unfinished? Unpolished? Hard to define, I guess.

Anyways, Android fanboys will go Android. Apple fanboys will go Apple. The ones who appreciate both will look at the offerings and fill their needs accordingly, regardless of subsidies, IMHO.

JesalTV

Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
London
Hard to say why they are waiting for the announcement of pricing, but also their respective release dates. Personally, I find that to be a major blunder. If I'm enticed by a phone now, I wouldn't want to spend the next month or longer wanting it, only to be disappointed by the pricing later on down the road. For me, I like that Apple tells how much it'll be right there in the keynote. Although, this year, it's going to take a bit more to sell me on the newest iPhone, regardless of the price.

I've had many android phones, including the S3 and the Note, neither one of them would sway me away from how the iPhones work for me. Regardless of subsidies and a lower price. Android is just too convoluted for my personal tastes and likes. For others, that may be a non-issue. It just feels....unfinished? Unpolished? Hard to define, I guess.

Anyways, Android fanboys will go Android. Apple fanboys will go Apple. The ones who appreciate both will look at the offerings and fill their needs accordingly, regardless of subsidies, IMHO.

Good post, agree.

I do find it surprising that they have avoided giving potential switchers a date & price for their products, especially when it comes to Samsung with their Note 2.

It's all a bit bizarre, and hints that there is more going on behind the scenes than we realise.

As for the price of the new iPhone, yes it will probably remain at the same price point, but you never know - they MIGHT be able to drop it a bit, especially if they want to retaliate and go even more mass market in the face of Android.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Carrier subsidy has greatly skewed the idea of competitive pricing.

And we can safely assume what iPhone 5's pricing will be. Apple is consistent in that regard.

BmoreDrumGuy

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2010
Baltimore, MD
As for the price of the new iPhone, yes it will probably remain at the same price point, but you never know - they MIGHT be able to drop it a bit, especially if they want to retaliate and go even more mass market in the face of Android.

I would say its probably a safe bet to say that the iPhone prices are a given, based on history. It would be nice to see Apple surprise us all by changing it up and going cheaper, though.

In the long run, it will be interesting to see how Apple fares through this release. I'm not convinced that Apple is on top of the game anymore. I hope to be proven wrong. I'd love nothing more than to see ongoing innovation at work. But according to the newest trend of hating on Apple, the iPhone 5, or whatever it's called, is the nail in Apple's coffin. Lol

JesalTV

Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
London
I would say its probably a safe bet to say that the iPhone prices are a given, based on history. It would be nice to see Apple surprise us all by changing it up and going cheaper, though.

In the long run, it will be interesting to see how Apple fares through this release. I'm not convinced that Apple is on top of the game anymore. I hope to be proven wrong. I'd love nothing more than to see ongoing innovation at work. But according to the newest trend of hating on Apple, the iPhone 5, or whatever it's called, is the nail in Apple's coffin. Lol

Much as I'm ragging on iOS 6 and stuff, the fact of the matter is I'm probably going to get an iPhone 5 if it is good enough and I switch to EE in the UK (who has exclusivity on 4G network speeds).

I'm tempted by Android, no doubt, but it all just depends on the Keynote tomorrow.

I write a lot of words, then just conveniently retract them where necessary :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.