Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
The workstation market is going hard on the new Xeon W and Nvidia RTX 6000 coalescing as the standard for serious workstatons. New models coming out from the big players, with Lenovo announcing their new machines today, HP a couple of weeks ago. Interesting that they're all featuring "turn it on its side and rack mount it" as prominent solutions, rather than focussing on thin dedicated rackmount machines.

Anyone else wanting to add links to machines like this - turnkey, ready to roll upgradable systems from an internationally supplying, and servicing company:

HP:
Lenovo:

Last edited:

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Lenovo PX looks extremely good:

It's well setup inside too. Not as beautiful as the 7,1 in finish but it looks like a very solid machine. If I jump from Apple I may go for one of these.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
Lenovo PX looks extremely good:

It's well setup inside too. Not as beautiful as the 7,1 in finish but it looks like a very solid machine. If I jump from Apple I may go for one of these.

Pretty or not is certainly a matter of taste, but the Lenovo looks to be a much better designed machine than the 7,1. I'll be interested to hear how the noise levels are for it.

I believe Boxx or something like that makes some machines in this league.

Unfortunately not available in all markets. I'm trying to keep this to just the big multinational suppliers that are directly comparable to Apple in terms of one company, one warranty etc, to avoid the DIY build comparisons.

Last edited:
Reactions: ZombiePhysicist

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
The Lenovo has a lot more fans. And smaller fans than the 7,1. Agree in that it will be interesting to discern how noisy it is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.