Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 20, 2009
saw this rolling around the NYT last night
Raspberry Pi 400

very low price

for a home network appliance this might work
if you want to do some simple internet access
if you have a young child schooling from home

if it dosnt work out for you no big

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
What I found out that these things do one thing at a time are very simply home diy or some have successfully made one do VPN server/client (at different times, situations)!

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
saw this rolling around the NYT last night
Raspberry Pi 400

very low price

for a home network appliance this might work
if you want to do some simple internet access
if you have a young child schooling from home

if it dosnt work out for you no big
I saw that, love it. It's a retro form-factor. I'm trying to figure out a way to buy one so that I don't feel like I'm hoarding hardware. 😆 But it's difficult to let go of what I have because much of it is unique.

If someone sets up an OS image that boots directly into FreeDOS or DosBox then I might just have to risk being branded a hoarder.

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
It's $100 which seems a bit pricey versus the cost of a regular Canakit RPi4. You're really paying a fair amount for the keyboard.

Frankly I'd rather use an existing keyboard to switch between the RPi4 and another device (like a Windows PC). I will explicitly point out that the primary usage case of my RPi4 is a Kodi playback device. As such, there is typically no keyboard nor mouse attached, I boot it up without either and wirelessly connect to it using the Kodi offical remote app running on one of my iDevices.

Running an RPi4 in the form of a keyboard severely limits deployment opportunities. If you are aware of all of these issues, this keyboard based unit might be helpful but you are essentially limited to the length of a monitor cable.

I file this under "clever, not practical."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.