Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madastrota

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2008
Dallas, TX
I just now upgraded to Sierra from Mavericks as well, purely out of necessity. I was perfectly happy with Mavericks and with the workflow I had developed with it and previous operating systems.
But circumstances prompted me to upgrade and Sierra has completely mucked me up!
The one big problem is that Sierra, in it's current state, isn't allowing me to have multiple windows open at once. Here are some examples:
1) When working on a project it is sometimes necessary for me to have multiple text documents open, along with some PDFs in Preview, and maybe even stuff from an additional program. In the process of comparing and referring to these multiple documents, when I minimize them (in Mavericks) they go to the dock where I can easily find them and call them up. But with Sierra, I'm only able to have ONE single document of ANY kind open at one time. And when I minimize something now it doesn't appear in the dock, it just slides into it's program icon, essentially disappearing.
And if I have a text document open then click on a second text document, it automatically closes the first one! So then I have to find it in it's original location instead of being able to pull it from the dock. This is incredibly inconvenient and inefficient.
2) Also, Sierra isn't allowing me to have multiple Finder windows open at once. Sometimes I need to drag or copy files from a subfolder in one window to a subfolder in another window. But now when I have a folder open then click on a second folder, the second folder opens in a tab inside the window that's already open. So I have to go the the menu bar and manually tell it to open that second folder in it's own window. That, at least, is a workaround but still incredibly inconvenient and inefficient.
3) It is common for me to be looking at a web page and then open a text document so that it's laying on top of the web page so that I'm able to make notes in my document while reading the web page. But, again, Sierra isn't allowing me to have multiple documents on the screen at the same time. So when I pull up my text document the browser goes away. I can't work like this!
These kind of seem like the same problem. Is there a way to reset this protocol to function like it does in Mavericks, where there are no limitations on open windows? If not, I have a pretty serious problem.
I just now upgraded to Sierra from Mavericks as well, purely out of necessity. I was perfectly happy with Mavericks and with the workflow I had developed with it and previous operating systems.
But circumstances prompted me to upgrade and Sierra has completely mucked me up!
The one big problem is that Sierra, in it's current state, isn't allowing me to have multiple windows open at once. Here are some examples:
1) When working on a project it is sometimes necessary for me to have multiple text documents open, along with some PDFs in Preview, and maybe even stuff from an additional program. In the process of comparing and referring to these multiple documents, when I minimize them (in Mavericks) they go to the dock where I can easily find them and call them up. But with Sierra, I'm only able to have ONE single document of ANY kind open at one time. And when I minimize something now it doesn't appear in the dock, it just slides into it's program icon, essentially disappearing.
And if I have a text document open then click on a second text document, it automatically closes the first one! So then I have to find it in it's original location instead of being able to pull it from the dock. This is incredibly inconvenient and inefficient.
2) Also, Sierra isn't allowing me to have multiple Finder windows open at once. Sometimes I need to drag or copy files from a subfolder in one window to a subfolder in another window. But now when I have a folder open then click on a second folder, the second folder opens in a tab inside the window that's already open. So I have to go the the menu bar and manually tell it to open that second folder in it's own window. That, at least, is a workaround but still incredibly inconvenient and inefficient.
3) It is common for me to be looking at a web page and then open a text document so that it's laying on top of the web page so that I'm able to make notes in my document while reading the web page. But, again, Sierra isn't allowing me to have multiple documents on the screen at the same time. So when I pull up my text document the browser goes away. I can't work like this!
These kind of seem like the same problem. Is there a way to reset this protocol to function like it does in Mavericks, where there are no limitations on open windows? If not, I have a pretty serious problem.
[doublepost=1524337174][/doublepost]Update: I have done the multiple document workaround in the text app so that I can look at more than one text at a time, however, if I minimize them both the first one to be minimized goes away. I still need to figure out how to store documents in the dock. The only workaround I have right now for keeping multiple documents open and still being able to see my desktop is to pull them to the bottom of the screen so that only the header is visible. Of course, I can only do this with a few at a time so still not great.
Also, I've found that as long as I have my text document already on the screen, I can click on it's icon in the dock and it will show up so I can still overlay on top of a web page. So that's good.

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
The aesthetics are perfect, but the background color of the toolbars remain unchanged. Overall interface still too white post Yosemite... Would prefer darker shades of grey just like Mavericks and prior.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
The aesthetics are perfect, but the background color of the toolbars remain unchanged. Overall interface still too white post Yosemite... Would prefer darker shades of grey just like Mavericks and prior.
The you should really take a look at this theme...
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/theme-exploring-the-leopard-esque-look-again.2117278/

My own installation of the above theme shown here, note the nicely sized traffic light buttons.
The color in the Finder sidebar is courtesy of the latest "XtraFinder".

Screen Shot 2018-05-06 at 7.02.58 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-05-06 at 7.11.03 PM.png

Ritsuka

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2006

[doublepost=1524337174][/doublepost]Update: I have done the multiple document workaround in the text app so that I can look at more than one text at a time, however, if I minimize them both the first one to be minimized goes away. I still need to figure out how to store documents in the dock. The only workaround I have right now for keeping multiple documents open and still being able to see my desktop is to pull them to the bottom of the screen so that only the header is visible. Of course, I can only do this with a few at a time so still not great.
Also, I've found that as long as I have my text document already on the screen, I can click on it's icon in the dock and it will show up so I can still overlay on top of a web page. So that's good.

System Preferences -> Dock -> Disable "Minimize windows into application icon" and se "Prefer tabs when opening documents" to "Manually".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.