Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
UK
Hey Macrumors, it's...been a minute.

From what I hear, there's due to be a refresh in the iPad lineup, and I have every intention of buying one. I've been out of the loop for a while regarding the latest updates, and I was hoping to get people's input to help me decide which one to get, and possibly start a discussion as well. Obviously we don't know for sure what the lineup is going to look like, but I've seen various pieces of speculation that would definitely influence my decision if they turn out to be true, and I wanted to discuss it with y'all since you're probably much more informed than I am.

My setup when I left university was as follows:
- iPhone 12, bought in 2021, completely reliable, nothing to complain about.
- 12-inch MacBook (remember those?), bought in 2018, riddled with hardware and software issues almost right out of the gate, complete nightmare.
- iPad Air 2, bought in 2015, still going very strong despite its age, not much that it can't still do.

Back when I was a student I had an idea (which I didn't act on for obvious financial reasons) of a setup which included my iPhone, a bigger iPad Pro to replace both the iPad and the MacBook, and an iMac at home to satisfy my desktop needs and give me the optimal consumer experience with the big screen. My idea was to get the iPad first since there was more of a pressing need for it, but once I actually got a job about a year ago, I found that since I was mostly working from home and expected my job to involve a lot of desktop work, not to mention the laptop was becoming almost unusable, I got the iMac first. And it was a good purchase. I use it as my main work device and I find the vast screen space super useful for a lot of things.

And now that the iPad lineup is due to be updated, as well as having a bit more money on hand, I think it's time for me to complete the setup. I was initially committed to a 13-inch iPad Pro since the bigger screen would be a big plus for me, but because of two very major pieces of speculation, I'm reconsidering. First, the fact that they may release a 13-inch iPad Air, and second, the fact that they may be majorly bumping up the price of the iPad Pro. If both of these follow through, getting an Air seems like a no-brainer.

So one of my big questions is, would I really be losing out on much if I got the Air over the Pro? To me it's always seemed like overkill to have four different iPad models, and by giving us a 13-inch Air model they're basically taking away one of the Pro's biggest advantages. Obviously I'm not complaining about being spoiled for choice, but from Apple's point of view it just seems like straight-up cannibalisation. The only major advantage of getting the Pro that I can think of is that overtime it might be capable of running more advanced programs as a desktop replacement, which I always thought was the long-term aim of the iPad Pro lineup in the first place, but really, if the Air has the M-line processors then in theory there shouldn't be anything that the Pro can do that the Air can't handle, right?

What are everybody's thoughts on the matter? Curious to hear whether anybody's thinking of getting the Pro even if recent speculation turns out to be true, or if anybody's thinking of 'downgrading' from a Pro to an Air.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The refresh may give the Pros OLED screens while the Air would still have LCD. There will be other differences like speakers and USB-C speeds. FWIW my fiancé wanted a larger iPad so I had to pick Pro. An Amazon Refurbished 256GB M1 with cellular and 4 years of 3rd party insurance cost the same as just a 128GB Apple Refurbished with only wifi.

PS. There is some debate on whether the OLED technology Apple plans on using will suffer from burn-in ghosting, there is also some debate on how much more expensive OLED will make it, but the M1/M2 13" iPads have Mini LED screens which are much nicer than the regular LCD on the 11" Pro and probably 13" Air.

Last edited:

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Hey Macrumors, it's...been a minute.

From what I hear, there's due to be a refresh in the iPad lineup, and I have every intention of buying one. I've been out of the loop for a while regarding the latest updates, and I was hoping to get people's input to help me decide which one to get, and possibly start a discussion as well. Obviously we don't know for sure what the lineup is going to look like, but I've seen various pieces of speculation that would definitely influence my decision if they turn out to be true, and I wanted to discuss it with y'all since you're probably much more informed than I am.

My setup when I left university was as follows:
- iPhone 12, bought in 2021, completely reliable, nothing to complain about.
- 12-inch MacBook (remember those?), bought in 2018, riddled with hardware and software issues almost right out of the gate, complete nightmare.
- iPad Air 2, bought in 2015, still going very strong despite its age, not much that it can't still do.

Back when I was a student I had an idea (which I didn't act on for obvious financial reasons) of a setup which included my iPhone, a bigger iPad Pro to replace both the iPad and the MacBook, and an iMac at home to satisfy my desktop needs and give me the optimal consumer experience with the big screen. My idea was to get the iPad first since there was more of a pressing need for it, but once I actually got a job about a year ago, I found that since I was mostly working from home and expected my job to involve a lot of desktop work, not to mention the laptop was becoming almost unusable, I got the iMac first. And it was a good purchase. I use it as my main work device and I find the vast screen space super useful for a lot of things.

And now that the iPad lineup is due to be updated, as well as having a bit more money on hand, I think it's time for me to complete the setup. I was initially committed to a 13-inch iPad Pro since the bigger screen would be a big plus for me, but because of two very major pieces of speculation, I'm reconsidering. First, the fact that they may release a 13-inch iPad Air, and second, the fact that they may be majorly bumping up the price of the iPad Pro. If both of these follow through, getting an Air seems like a no-brainer.

So one of my big questions is, would I really be losing out on much if I got the Air over the Pro? To me it's always seemed like overkill to have four different iPad models, and by giving us a 13-inch Air model they're basically taking away one of the Pro's biggest advantages. Obviously I'm not complaining about being spoiled for choice, but from Apple's point of view it just seems like straight-up cannibalisation. The only major advantage of getting the Pro that I can think of is that overtime it might be capable of running more advanced programs as a desktop replacement, which I always thought was the long-term aim of the iPad Pro lineup in the first place, but really, if the Air has the M-line processors then in theory there shouldn't be anything that the Pro can do that the Air can't handle, right?

What are everybody's thoughts on the matter? Curious to hear whether anybody's thinking of getting the Pro even if recent speculation turns out to be true, or if anybody's thinking of 'downgrading' from a Pro to an Air.
The iPad Pro is much nicer than the iPad Air. Quad speakers and a superior display. There is a market for both a 13" iPad Pro and a 12.9" iPad Air.

If you are happy with your current Air, then I'm assuming the 12.9" iPad Air will make you happy. I will say though that if you enjoy watching videos on your iPad then the quad speakers of the Pro are worth the upgrade IMO. I expect the 13" OLED iPad Pro to start at $1,299. Most people would be better off getting a refurbished M1 or M2 12.9" iPad Pro if that is the case, which currently retail for $890 from Apple. I expect that 12.9" iPad Air will start at $800- $900.

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
UK
The refresh may give the Pros OLED screens while the Air would still have LCD. There will be other differences like speakers and USB-C speeds. FWIW my fiancé wanted a larger iPad so I had to pick Pro. An Amazon Refurbished 256GB M1 with cellular and 4 years of 3rd party insurance cost the same as just a 128GB Apple Refurbished with only wifi.

PS. There is some debate on whether the OLED technology Apple plans on using will suffer from burn-in ghosting, there is also some debate on how much more expensive OLED will make it, but the M1/M2 13" iPads have Mini LED screens which are much nicer than the regular LCD on the 11" Pro and probably 13" Air.
Yeah I've considered that. One of my big issues with the M1/M2 iPad Pro though, and I know I'm being super nitpicky, is the portrait camera. I take a lot of Teams calls for work, and ever since I took a job interview on my iPad once and got called out by my interviewer for looking to the side too much, I've always been super self-conscious about presentation on video calls. It really shouldn't be a deal-breaker but it's definitely a consideration.

The iPad Pro is much nicer than the iPad Air. Quad speakers and a superior display. There is a market for both a 13" iPad Pro and a 12.9" iPad Air.

If you are happy with your current Air, then I'm assuming the 12.9" iPad Air will make you happy. I will say though that if you enjoy watching videos on your iPad then the quad speakers of the Pro are worth the upgrade IMO. I expect the 13" OLED iPad Pro to start at $1,299. Most people would be better off getting a refurbished M1 or M2 12.9" iPad Pro if that is the case, which currently retail for $890 from Apple. I expect that 12.9" iPad Air will start at $800- $900.
Ohh yeah I forgot about the quad speakers, that'll be a big deal.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Yeah I've considered that. One of my big issues with the M1/M2 iPad Pro though, and I know I'm being super nitpicky, is the portrait camera. I take a lot of Teams calls for work, and ever since I took a job interview on my iPad once and got called out by my interviewer for looking to the side too much, I've always been super self-conscious about presentation on video calls. It really shouldn't be a deal-breaker but it's definitely a consideration.
Perfectly valid feature to want. Your choices are either use one of the other iPads in portrait (you can get cases which support rotating the iPad), get the iPad 10, or wait to see what the next iPads bring.

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD

Ohh yeah I forgot about the quad speakers, that'll be a big deal.
I do a lot of teams as well. But when I explain I’m not at home and looking at an iPad screen, everybody understands.
And I force myself to look into the camera a lot. But then I miss the facial expressions, which is the point of using teams.

I thought apple had hardware/software/techniques that makes it look like you’re looking onto the camera?

Edit: if you have an 11” pro or the current air, how much do you miss out?
keyboard, pencoil, 5G/LTE it all works.
I do like the 120Hz for scrolling, I do like the M2 and hover a lot. I also like the brightness of the M2 12.9”. And I do like the 1Tb.
But it’s a lot of money…

NastyMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
Landscape camera is an absolute must for me to go for the new iPad over an M2. I am really excited about the new iPad, as I have a 2020 IPP I really want the extended screen (clamshell please) support and OLED would be lovely, but it all hinges on the camera location!

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
UK
Landscape camera is an absolute must for me to go for the new iPad over an M2. I am really excited about the new iPad, as I have a 2020 IPP I really want the extended screen (clamshell please) support and OLED would be lovely, but it all hinges on the camera location!
I genuinely didn't know that extended screen has a thing, I looked it up and I'm pretty blown away. It's probably not something I'd use, but very neat to know that I have the option.

I could see myself using the sidecar feature with my iMac though.

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
UK
I do a lot of teams as well. But when I explain I’m not at home and looking at an iPad screen, everybody understands.
And I force myself to look into the camera a lot. But then I miss the facial expressions, which is the point of using teams.

I thought apple had hardware/software/techniques that makes it look like you’re looking onto the camera?

Edit: if you have an 11” pro or the current air, how much do you miss out?
keyboard, pencoil, 5G/LTE it all works.
I do like the 120Hz for scrolling, I do like the M2 and hover a lot. I also like the brightness of the M2 12.9”. And I do like the 1Tb.
But it’s a lot of money…
The additional features on the bigger iPad Pro are nice to have but honestly the extra screen space alone for me is worth the money.

Reactions: alecgold
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.