Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lachrymotion

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
Hey all,

I just recently bought my first Mac. It shipped out on Monday, and should be here Friday. I had been really excited (and still am), until last night watching this Macworld confrence.

Seeing as I ordered a G5 and not the new Intel Mac (which after some debating, would still like to keep the older G5 version if it will work out), am I going to have a problem in the future running new applications for my Mac?

Not only am I new to Macs, but Im far from a computer wizard. This might be a stupid question, and I apolgize if it is. I see that Apple stated that all their programs will be Intel based at the end of 2006. Does this mean, the PowerPC versions will be stuck with what is on the market today, or will the newer lines (next 3-4 years) still have the option of purchasing PowerPC versions instead of Intel ones? I do understand this is a computer and not a car, so I don't expect to keep it for 10 years, but I would hate to have just spend $2,000 less than a week ago, only to see Im going to be stuck w/ un-updateable software and applications

Thanks for any advice in advance. Again, I would like to just keep the G5 when it arrives. Im not big on buying something so new (especially technologicaly based) on the market. When I went and tested Macs, I was really impressed, and that doesn't change now that there is something BRAND new on the market. Though, if Im going to be stuck, I feel I should go ahead and take the risk and get the new Intel version.

P.S. I just plan to surf the web, maybe mess around w/ iMovie and Garageband. Nothing major (especially ProAps).

thanks for your help!

-Mike-

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
At least the next version of the OS and iLife will run on PPC as well as most third party apps. I would not be surprised if iLife 08 works on PPC as well.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
I'd be highly surprised if Apple stopped producing PowerPC versions of their software at the end of the year. Granted, they are going to stop at some point, but in twelve months times seems a little too soon. A lot of the new software unveiled yesterday is what Apple is calling Universal, meaning that it'll run on both PowerPC and Intel. They'll most likely continue in this vein for a couple of years.

You'll be good for a while yet, I would have thought.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
Since Rosetta will be on Macs for the forseeable future, you most certainly be fine. BUT, if POSSIBLE, cancel that order and get the new one. Same price, and I JUST played with one at MacWorld. VERY fast, very cool.

lachrymotion

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
Les Kern said:
Since Rosetta will be on Macs for the forseeable future, you most certainly be fine. BUT, if POSSIBLE, cancel that order and get the new one. Same price, and I JUST played with one at MacWorld. VERY fast, very cool.
Two things:

One, I dont know if I CAN cancel/return the order. Granted, it hasn't been opened (hell, its still in transit), but Apple's return policy states you cannot return customized Macs (I upgraded the RAM and added the wireless option). So, Im not sure I could return it even if I wanted to

Secondly, I really....REALLY enjoyed the G5. Granted, I came from an elderly PC...so Im sure ANYTHING would be an upgrade, but Im not the type to fiend for the "latest and greatest". It was good enough for me 5 days ago when I ordered it, and it still is. I know there's nothing wrong w/ getting the best on the market (especially when it could possibly be free w/ the return), but with my novice ability and desires, I don't even know if I would get all the advantages out of the new processor. I just plan on surfing the net, burning some DVDs, fiddling with Garageband, and listening to iTunes. Also, I work at a computer chain (Circuit City), and saw all the havok the new Xbox 360 had firsthand. Anything brand new on the market has a high (or higher) likelihood to have some sort of kinks that need to be worked out. Im just not comfortable buying a 1.0 ANYTHING. Granted, this could all be hersay, but what can ya do? Not to mention, if I subcome to THIS update...how am I going to feel in 5 months when it upgrades again? Its a slippery slope I suppose.

If they still support PowerPC appls for the next 3-4 years...color me pink. Like I said...just because something the newer version is faster, doesn't mean the Mac I just bought 5 days ago is somehow slower. Its DEFFENITLY not slower than the PC.

Thank you Les for your response (as well as everyone elses). I appreciate the quick and kind responses

-Mike-

gheem

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2005
just got my quad g5

Hey,

I have at home a silicon graphics Octane2, a dual intel p3 machine and 3 ppc macs.....my main machine is mac which i use for video editing and other graphics.

I just got a new quad delivered last night, I knew the intel transition was coming yesterday, but trust me, I have a lot of apps, all ppc native, and am VERY happy with the new machine. Since the OS was designed originally to be cross platform, AND developers are making "universal" binaries that means you can use apps now, or in the future since they will work on BOTH g5 AND intel.

A lot of the high end users like myself have a lot invested in the g5 stuff and apps, and since the move to intel for the high end machines isn't until the end of this year, you will see universal binaries for a couple more years after that, so enjoy the g5 mac, it will be a fantastic machine for you for more than a few years to come.

Oh BTW..Rosetta is for intel machines to run ppc native aps, so for the g5, you dont need this part of the OS. Hope this helps!

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
lachrymotion said:
Two things:

One, I dont know if I CAN cancel/return the order. Granted, it hasn't been opened (hell, its still in transit), but Apple's return policy states you cannot return customized Macs (I upgraded the RAM and added the wireless option). So, Im not sure I could return it even if I wanted to

Secondly, I really....REALLY enjoyed the G5. Granted, I came from an elderly PC...so Im sure ANYTHING would be an upgrade, but Im not the type to fiend for the "latest and greatest". It was good enough for me 5 days ago when I ordered it, and it still is. I know there's nothing wrong w/ getting the best on the market (especially when it could possibly be free w/ the return), but with my novice ability and desires, I don't even know if I would get all the advantages out of the new processor. I just plan on surfing the net, burning some DVDs, fiddling with Garageband, and listening to iTunes. Also, I work at a computer chain (Circuit City), and saw all the havok the new Xbox 360 had firsthand. Anything brand new on the market has a high (or higher) likelihood to have some sort of kinks that need to be worked out. Im just not comfortable buying a 1.0 ANYTHING. Granted, this could all be hersay, but what can ya do? Not to mention, if I subcome to THIS update...how am I going to feel in 5 months when it upgrades again? Its a slippery slope I suppose.

If they still support PowerPC appls for the next 3-4 years...color me pink. Like I said...just because something the newer version is faster, doesn't mean the Mac I just bought 5 days ago is somehow slower. Its DEFFENITLY not slower than the PC.

Thank you Les for your response (as well as everyone elses). I appreciate the quick and kind responses

-Mike-

Mike make sure they send you iLife 06 on your order even if you went with the older iMac. Not fair if you don't get it.

maverick808

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2004
Scotland
I actually have serious concerns about PPC being supported over the next couple of years. Let's take games as an example. Say you are a games company that has coded and released a game for PCs and are now going to port it to the Mac. It's certainly easier to port from Intel to Intel than it is to do Intel to PPC. Plus the Intel ones are much faster so even if you do write a perfect port it might not run fast enough on the PPC while on the Intel it's fine. What would you do then? You have a game ported to the Mac that runs great on all Intel Macs but far too slow on PPC Macs.

Worse, what if the company is under deadlines. If you only have time to do one port it's going to be the Intel one.

I took games as an example but any app, particularly pro apps, will suffer the same fate. I really think we'll see some stuff coming out compiled just for Intel within 2006 either because companies don't have resources to do two ports or because they make both but then find the PPC version is just too slow to be viable.

PS: Anyone in the UK wanting to buy a cheap iPod? ;) ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.