Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Is there an option to setting a password to the compressed files that a user can make in Yosemite?

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Im trying to make it using Disk Utility but i can't manage to achieve it. The files im trying to compress are on total 10GB. But i need to make them a bunch of 5files (2GB each) so i can transfer them easier. What should be the Disk Utility settings so i can accomplish this?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
There is the "zipsplit" terminal command, which would do what you want - except when I checked the man for the zipsplit command, it does not yet support splitting large (>2 GB) archives.
Maybe there is a third party app that will do what you want.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Thanks Delta, what im worried about is that the person that will receive the file and will uncompress, is a newby and it would be best if he would just double click and watch the uncompression take place. Using the Terminal to compress, does that mean that the Terminal must be used again to uncompress or is it just a double click situation?
Im also afraid of asking the newby to use a third party app because that would mean that he must install it, and all this are things that i prefer to avoid. I hope u understand what i mean ;)

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
No, you are just using the command line in the terminal to create the compressed/protected file. That's the process on a Mac, and it's supported natively by the system. Un-zipping the file should only need a double-click on the file. If password protected, then you will need to enter the password, and then the file is restored.

A third-party utility that does that may also give you a double-click-to-open file, or may need that software if the compression format and protection of the file is not natively supported on the Mac. There would be some that simply give a more useful interface than the Mac OS, but still supported by the Mac. If you come across a third-party utility that you prefer to use, that utility will likely be pretty clear that the recipient needs the same software to restore the file.
If so, then you could decide if it is easy to use, and you could simply send the app to the recipient, along with the compressed files. Adds another level to sending files back and forth, but that would be up to you, in that case.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Ok, what i can't figure out though, is how the compressed file will be divided into files of 2GB each.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
You have to find a utility that will do that, as I said in my post #4, the man for zipsplit states that large files (>2GB) are not supported by that zipsplit command. THAT means that you can't use the zipsplit command to split a 10GB archive.

There's probably other apps or utilities that will do that.
I searched for "Split zipped archive in Mac Terminal", and found this
That should do what you want, just needs a little "massaging" with your actual filenames.
(Doesn't use the zipsplit command that I was looking at earlier, but using the zip command, so you would both compress and split the file at the same time, I suppose.)
Should work for you... Notice the example sets the split for 3GB files, so you should be OK with 2GB splits :D

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Hmm the plot thickens! :D
Ok maybe i should just use an app that creates split files... do you know any such free app?

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Combining the info at both websites for split, password-protected archives the Terminal command would be, for example:

zip -er -s 1900 archive.zip myfolder

Where 1900 is the maximum segment size in MB, archive.zip is the archive name.

I’ve tried it and using The Unarchiver I’m able to enter the password and decompress the split file.

Pay attention to what the second website says about file paths.

Reactions: zoran

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
zip -er -s 1900 archive.zip myfolder
Pay attention to what the second website says about file paths.
The "myfolder" element is the file's path location? If so, could you give me an example of how to type it?

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
The "myfolder" element is the file's path location? If so, could you give me an example of how to type it?

According to the Addictivetips.com site linked to above, you’re better off to be in the directory with the folder you’re compressing. If you drop your folder into Terminal, Terminal will add the entire path to that folder…but your zipped folder ends up nested in the folders of the entire path. You can test this on something smaller to see what they mean. If you “cd”, in Terminal, to the directory with the original folder and run the command from there you’ll get what you want…no nested folders.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
This whole Terminal thing is a headache :confused:
I think ill just get an app to split the file into compressed parts... any such apps to suggest?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.