Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Staffroomer

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2005
I've read all about how with a third party plugin I can use compressor to convert video to .avi.. I need to to work on video off my mac on a pc.. Don't ask why..

Can anyone point me toward I walkthru explaining how to download and install said plugin?? I'd really appreciate it..

TIA

Staffroomer

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2005
Well, instead of using compressor I've gone to export using quicktime conversion in FCP. It looks like it's going to take awhile, but at least it's working..

I tried the whole flip4mac thing, but the instrctions sucked... Any better ideas? So time consuming.. Stupid stupid stupid... Anyone use Ulead video studio on PCs? If you've got any better ideas that'd be great..

live4ever

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2003
PCs can edit DV files, maybe tell us the video files you have now and what codec they are in and the software you have on Windows (I'm assuming because you didn't state the OS running on the PC).

The more information you give the better the solution we can give you.

Staffroomer

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2005
OK, here's the situation. I've got a room full of Windows XP PCs running Ulead video studio. I can't install anything on the PCs because this is a state school in Australia. The computers are locked up tight so that nobody but the admin can install anything. He's a pain and it's really not worth my while asking him to do anything.

.AVI is ugly, but it seems to be the only one that works. I think I could use mpeg, but I'm pretty sure that the raw DV format that FCP imports in would not work. It just occurred to me that I've never tried that.. How silly.. Why haven't I? If anyone could tell me if the raw DV format that FCP imports in would work on a PC running ULead video studio, that would be great.

On the other hand, the kids are just going to be exporting this to a CDROM anyway, so the quality isn't going to be that good in the end product. So maybe I should import it in a smaller format. But I'd still like to get the most bang for my buck.

In the end, what I'm asking for is the most efficient way to import video onto my mac, whack it on an external HD and transfer it to PCs for editting in Ulead video studio on Windows XP.

What format should I have the kids working with and what size do you think it should be?

Any advice for time saving would be great, because this is giving me a damn headache.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.