Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
The Presenter on Computer Clan on YouTube about the PowerMac G4 Cube. I remember this computer. At the time I was running self assembled AMD PC's but I was always interested in Apple but they were just too expensive and didn't run the software I needed. I never realized they disappeared so fast. I have heard others say the Mac Mini, and now the Mac Studio are the G4's successor. Looking at my Mac Studio mounted on the clear Spigen filter base is really does echo the G4.

detail_web_ld202_macstudio_stand_02.jpg

Last edited:

Certificate of Excellence

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2021
I lumped the trashcan in with the cube as a spiritual successor in size and compact form factor although the minis and especially studios remind me of them as well. Cant deny that they're tiny and square :)

Reactions: transmaster

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I lumped the trashcan in with the cube as a spiritual successor in size and compact form factor although the minis and especially studios remind me of them as well. Cant deny that they're tiny and square :)
What I lusted after was how you could pull the G4 out of the case. I know the Mac Studio does not have upgradable innards but being able to easy pull the system out of the case to blow the dust out of it would sure be nice. The Trashcan was almost as big a looser as the G4. Leo LaPorte quipting about his Mac Pro that it was a door stop.

Reactions: redheeler

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2021
What I lusted after was how you could pull the G4 out of the case. I know the Mac Studio does not have upgradable innards but being able to easy pull the system out of the case to blow the dust out of it would sure be nice. The Trashcan was almost as big a looser as the G4. Leo LaPorte quipting about his Mac Pro that it was a door stop.
I agree, the ability to pull it apart and upgrade parts was a great feature of that era mac. I want a trashcan for my collection. When I find one that is a good price, I will snag it just to put it on my book shelf as a bookend opposite my mini g4 :D

Last edited:

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I so remember when Apple switched from the IBM/Motorola Power PC to Intel. There were people who said that this was the end of Apple computers. But Apple was not getting the performance out the the Power PC they wanted. Than Steve Jobs went to Intel in 2006 and asked Intel CEO Paul Otellini for an energy efficient mobile chip for the iPhone Otellini laughed him out of the building thinking the Smartphone was going to be a niche market. 10 years later this colossal mistake caused Intel to lay off 12,000 employees. With the adoption of the Apple Silicon, and the final divorce from Intel compounded this mistake.

Years before this The 1st 1 gigahertz (GHz) Athlon made its debut as AMD's high-end processor brand on June 23, 1999. Story has it that when Andy Grove CEO of Intel at the time found out that AMD beat them to 1 ghz clock speed he had a monumental shrieking, stomping up and down the executive suite, shouting, monumental temper tantrum.

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2021
I built my first gaming box around the Athlon 1ghz. Loved me some AMD at the time because they were cheaper to build out than Intel and I didn't have a lot of $$ starting out - so any savings was good and to have AMD beat out Intel was icing on the cake.

It would be another 7 or so years before I would buy my first mac - a used 24" ic2d imac.

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I
I built my first gaming box around the Athlon 1ghz. Loved me some AMD at the time because they were cheaper to build out than Intel and I didn't have a lot of $$ starting out - so any savings was good and to have AMD beat out Intel was icing on the cake.

It would be another 7 or so years before I would buy my first mac - a used 24" ic2d imac.
Actually had a Apple II in 1985 or so. It was a great machine but it did not run the software I needed and I had to go MSDOS. It continued that way for years. Finally I got sick and tired of Windows, XT being the last system I like, never ran Windows 7. After that came 8, 10, and finally 11. I have a modern mini PC running Windows 11 Pro but I rarely use it. It is there to operate my Ham Radio station. The Mac does not have much in software for the use.

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2021
My Dad is a ham operator and nowadays IIRC he uses his i7 imac with an interface connected to his antennas. I forget the name of the unit but he seems pretty happy with it I think. Back in the day, he had an entire walk in closet full of radio gear. I remember it getting hot in there because of all the stuff going on (which was great in the winter lol). Nowadays hes all about slimming down the gear and going with as much digital as he can I think just because of the size & ease of moving around etc.

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Retired an i5 Lenovo mini PC for the Kamrui Ryzen 7. The Kamrui has BT, Wifi, more ports, and a Radion 680M GPU. My ICOM IC 7300 does not have ethernet just USB for computer interface. I am running Win4ICOM rig control software.

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2021
Retired an i5 Lenovo mini PC for the Kamrui Ryzen 7. The Kamrui has BT, Wifi, more ports, and a Radion 680M GPU. My ICOM IC 7300 does not have ethernet just USB for computer interface. I am running Win4ICOM rig control software.
My dad at this point has whittled down his rig to a standalone ic r75 and a flex6600 with a Maestro front end specifically so he doesn’t have to use his iMac, so I was wrong there. He does also have the companion app for his iPad Pro but has shifted away from software back to preferring the physicality of knob twiddling in his advanced years (he’s 81 years young :) )

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan

Yup same, I built an Athlon XP 1.2ghz or something similar machine... can't remember. I traded a Ms. Pac-Man arcade machine for the parts (I had four of them at the time). It was my main machine, and my Wallstreet was my notebook, until I relegated the Athlon machine to gaming/emulation and picked up a B/W G3 400 (OC'd to 450) as my main machine.

EDIT: Actually, it was my second home-built machine. I forgot about the dual Celeron 500mhz (OC'd to 600mhz) machine I had built previously, on an Abit BP6 motherboard. Those early Celery processors were ultra-easy to overclock. Unfortunately, the mainboard eventually suffered from early 2000s capacitor cancer.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.