Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I had a complete TM back up. Harddrive connected to an airport extreme, backing up daily.

What model Airport Extreme? If it is the previous, pancake shaped models, Time Machine backup to an external drive is not supported on those. It is only supported on the newer, tower shaped model.

If you are using it with the older model, it may appear to be working, but often the backup data is corrupted.

ProphetX

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2011
I had a complete TM back up. Harddrive connected to an airport extreme, backing up daily. So when my laptop goes awol and. I get a new one, the TM backup is not visible on the new mac. Hours on the phone with apple support, eventually on to a senior advisor and my backup was nearly erased following apple support advice!

I managed to force the backup on to the laptop and it took 24hrs to load. 3 weeks later the logicboard on that machine crashes so apple replaces it and I'm back to the exact same problem trying to load the backup. I gave up and ended up copying and pasting what I needed to pull off it.

So if apple doesn't know how to deal with it, it's pretty bad. I was also told that setting up a backup system via an extreme is a bad idea.

I'm not using time machine at all now.

(By the way, i am a trained network engineer and worked in IT. i'm not totally lost when it comes to computers, PC or Mac.)

Sorry for how i came off with my post. Word of advice. Stay away from airport extremes for backups. Too many problems. Your better off with an external drive or better yet, since your an IT guy. Get a NAS. I ended up with a drobo 5D for its ease of use. I've never had any types of time machine failure or bad sparse bundles with my drobo. For all the good quality products apple has made. The airport is by far the worst.

Heck, now that i have my drobo, i've been able to drop my cable tv. I stream everything from my drobo now. It ended up saving me hundreds a month.

tenjikuronin

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2014
I just want to update with what I did to remedy the situation. I did have AirFoil, so I was really hopeful that I had a solution. Unfortunately, I never installed that driver. So that wasn't what was making my computer panic constantly. Thanks to everyone who yelled at me "for not having a back up", after I repeatedly said I had TimeMachine back ups, never directed me into that direction to just use TimeMachine to restore my computer to an earlier state. I had just never used it and had no idea how to go about restoring from it. With that said, I ended up figuring out who to use TimeMachine and just restored an old save and it cleared up all my issues. I will be partitioning my hard drive as per your advice for a fresh install of Yosemite, but will still probably wait for DP2.

You should wait for the general retail release. What point is there for you to install a Developer Preview? Apple's partition tool is very easy to use, but as someone with a lot of experience partitioning, the word fills me with unease. I would *at least* use a separate hard drive in your situation, and as noted many times already there appears to be no reason for your to install a DP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.