Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
I've got an old Quicksilver which means I've plugged my speakers into the headphone jack (as the speaker jack is smaller and Apple proprietary) and I'm getting some sort of electrical interference that's manifesting itself as noise in my speakers and I'm not sure how to fix it. For example, when I move my mouse, launch a program, or access my drives I here different kinds of fluttering static in my speakers. Usually it's low enough that playing songs in iTunes will mask it, but I'm start work on a project that's going to require some basic mixing and this "noise" is just going to drive me nuts.

From least expensive to most expensive what are my options?

Lethal

chasemac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2005
In a house.
LethalWolfe said:
I've got an old Quicksilver which means I've plugged my speakers into the headphone jack (as the speaker jack is smaller and Apple proprietary) and I'm getting some sort of electrical interference that's manifesting itself as noise in my speakers and I'm not sure how to fix it. For example, when I move my mouse, launch a program, or access my drives I here different kinds of fluttering static in my speakers. Usually it's low enough that playing songs in iTunes will mask it, but I'm start work on a project that's going to require some basic mixing and this "noise" is just going to drive me nuts.

From least expensive to most expensive what are my options?

Lethal

Are all the devices plugged into the same power strip and running from the same circuit?

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
chasemac said:
Are all the devices plugged into the same power strip and running from the same circuit?

All of my equipment is spread across a surge protector and a UPS (the speakers and the computer are on different APCs). They all share the same circuit though as there is only one circuit on this end of the apartment. I've had this same basic setup across at three different apartments and this is the first time I've had the noise prominent enough to bug me. Trying a separate plug in the same room is pointless right cause it's still on the same breaker?

Lethal

chasemac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2005
In a house.
LethalWolfe said:
All of my equipment is spread across a surge protector and a UPS (the speakers and the computer are on different APCs). They all share the same circuit though as there is only one circuit on this end of the apartment. I've had this same basic setup across at three different apartments and this is the first time I've had the noise prominent enough to bug me. Trying a separate plug in the same room is pointless right cause it's still on the same breaker?

Lethal
Well, maybe you could try the other plug (not really sure why but you could try.) Also, maybe try without the UPS. What kind of speakers or monitors are you using? I had this same type of problem in the past and it went away by plugging all of my devices into the same circuit and same surge protector.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
chasemac said:
Well, maybe you could try the other plug (not really sure why but you could try.) Also, maybe try without the UPS. What kind of speakers or monitors are you using? I had this same type of problem in the past and it went away by plugging all of my devices into the same circuit and same surge protector.
Well this is odd. I turned on my PC and the noise is so low now that I have to crank my speakers to hear it. I usually have the volume knob on my speakers at 9 o'clock (6 o'clock is the off position) and I have to turn it all the way over to 3 o'clock now to hear the noise. So practically speaking now the noise is gone. Interesting.

I have a pair of Roland MA-12 powered speakers, and unfortunately I have too many devices to all fit on one surge protector (last count all my gear took up 13 or 14 plugs). I will try swapping which sure protector devices are plugged into though and see if that has an effect.

Lethal

scottlinux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
Did you mute all inputs/line/mic-ins on the computer? Have any tv card with audio inputs? Mute those too.

Use one of these in the wall outlet for your computer plug (AND speakers outlet plug) to get rid of electrical sounds and feedbacks from the ground:

http://www.execommsys.com/grounded-plug-adapter.jpg

I use these plugs on any machine or hardware that I'm using with audio.

Only other options are to get a usb or firewire sound card.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
scottlinux said:
Did you mute all inputs/line/mic-ins on the computer? Have any tv card with audio inputs? Mute those too.
Yeah, I muted everything and still heard the noises as I moved my mouse around.

Use one of these in the wall outlet for your computer plug (AND speakers outlet plug) to get rid of electrical sounds and feedbacks from the ground:

http://www.execommsys.com/grounded-plug-adapter.jpg

I use these plugs on any machine or hardware that I'm using with audio.

Only other options are to get a usb or firewire sound card.
I'll try a snag a couple of those next time I'm out and report back.

Lethal

Shadow

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
I have this on my PC. Its not that annoying, but if you are doing audio work, well, 'nuff said really :rolleyes: .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.