Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
Can anyone recommend a good set of reference speakers that I can use for mixing? Ideally, the speakers would be self-powering and could plug right into the back of my G4, which hopefully would obviate the need for a pre-amp/amp setup. I'm leaning toward the Logitec Z-2300, since it's the best thing I can get locally. Any thoughts?

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
beatsme said:
Can anyone recommend a good set of reference speakers that I can use for mixing? Ideally, the speakers would be self-powering and could plug right into the back of my G4, which hopefully would obviate the need for a pre-amp/amp setup. I'm leaning toward the Logitec Z-2300, since it's the best thing I can get locally. Any thoughts?
Computer speakers, even higher end ones, are not intended for mixing. They are meant to be loud and make good explosions in games. They are not by any stretch of the imagingation reference monitors.

I suggest you get to the library and do some reading, there are books on home studio technique, plus the magazines Sound on Sound, Recording, Electronic Musician, EQ, Keyboard, Future Music et al. They often have reviews and comparisons of monitors.

At that price range you don't have much choice. But there are inexpensive 'studio' monitors made by Edirol, Mackie, Alesis, M-Audio, Tapco, Yamaha and a few others. Higher end brands would be Genelec, BlueSky, Dynaudio, Adam and some others I can't think of at the moment.

Brands to avoid would be Cross Audio and Kustom, both of which are brand name fronts for very low end cheap items.

seabass069

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2005
Buy the Klipsch 2.1 speakers. They are still rated the best 2.1 speakers you can buy. Oh Ya, there extreeemly loud and clear. I jam my guitars and keyboards+vocals through them. My neighbors hate me!!!

If you have a 5.1 soundcard, go with the Logitec Z5500. They are even louder!! These speakers are awesome. The surround sound in games will scare you half to death. Doom 3 and Unreal is really freaky to play with these speakers turned up. You do need a 5.1 soundcard to use these speakers though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.