Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FreedomFighter

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
I am looking to build my own computer in the near future but this being my first time I am unsure of what components to put in. Please if you have recommendations would be great.

First of all This computer is for gaming so I have put it in this section:

I have allowed a $500 - $600 (US) budget for my CPU And GPU what is the best in regard to Performance/Price

Sound Card - Not sure recommendations welcomed

Hard Drive - Is there a big performance difference between a 5400 and a 7200? and is it worth the extra money.

OS - I am sorry to say but Windoze XP SP2 (any where cheap?)

Display - I am looking at 22" Widescreen Unsure what Brand what is best?

that is the stuff I am stuck on if you have any other recommendations that would be great. P.S I am a Nividia Fan so please no Ati thanks.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
i don't know much about PC parts, but I'll have a stab at it anyway.

The Intel Conroe Extreme chips sound pretty good. They aren't too expensive either. As for the GPU, I keep hearing good things about the nvidia 8800.

Almost all desktop HDDs are 7200 RPM now. Its not really your biggest concern, though; more damage will be caused by lack of RAM or a bad chipset than a slow HDD.

I hear Dell make good 2x" displays, so have a look at them.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
For the CPU I'd suggest getting either the intel E6600 (dual core) or the intel Q6600 (quad core). The GPU I would go with Nvidia 8800GTS. For the sound card, this one gets pretty good reviews and its pretty cheap. For a hard drive this 500GB Seagate is pretty good and it has an excellent warranty. Unfortunately Frys is sold out of the 22" Viewsonic display I usually recommend (its only $200 and its a fantastic display, I'm using one right now.) although this one gets good reviews.

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
I am looking to build my own computer in the near future but this being my first time I am unsure of what components to put in. Please if you have recommendations would be great.

First of all This computer is for gaming so I have put it in this section:

I have allowed a $500 - $600 (US) budget for my CPU And GPU what is the best in regard to Performance/Price

Sound Card - Not sure recommendations welcomed

Hard Drive - Is there a big performance difference between a 5400 and a 7200? and is it worth the extra money.

OS - I am sorry to say but Windoze XP SP2 (any where cheap?)

Display - I am looking at 22" Widescreen Unsure what Brand what is best?

that is the stuff I am stuck on if you have any other recommendations that would be great. P.S I am a Nividia Fan so please no Ati thanks.

Okay let me get this straight. You have 500-600 for BOTH the GPU and CPU or 500-600 for each separately?

If the former, I'd suggest a Q6600 (don't consider a dual core at this stage) which should run you about $289 (free shipping and free GRAW2 included), that leaves you with around 200-300 for the videocard, a 8800GTS 320MB should fit the bill perfectly. A superclocked (its not a retarded term by me, its the actual brand of the card) EVGA one will cost you $299 and you get a step-up program, it also has a $15 rebate on newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115017
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130038

If its the latter, just do the same except get an EVGA 8800GTX and an aftermarket cooler for your CPU.

As for the soundcard... it depends if you are going with XP then the Creative X-Fi Xtrememusic is cheap and nice but get whatever is in your budget. X-Fi drivers for Vista are not as good as XP's.

5400 RPM drives are meant for laptops, go with a 7200 drive. Seagate Barracudas and Samsung Spinpoint series are good. The only decision you have to make is capacity and drives are cheap these days.

As for the monitor, the NEC 20WMGX2 is an awesome monitor overall for gaming and multimedia with its TV features and true 8-bit S-IPS glossy panel but its 20" (though it has the same 1680x1050 resolution a 22" would have) and its a bit pricey at around $450. If you want something cheaper the Acer AL2051W is a great choice for the price as well (its only about $200). I wouldn't go for the 22", I'd either go for a high quality 20" or go all the way for the 24" and the 1920x1200 resolution.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=nec+20wmgx2&x=0&y=0
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009105

As far as the OS goes, I would go with Vista Home Premium 32-bit, no point in going with XP right now and Vista is a really nice OS. Microsoft gives you both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions with your purchase but you only get discs for one version (unless you purchase Ultimate which is quite more expensive) so get the 32-bit right now and order the 64 discs (free of charge) for the future.

Do you have your case and PSU already chosen? What about your memory?

FreedomFighter

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Okay let me get this straight. You have 500-600 for BOTH the GPU and CPU or 500-600 for each separately?

Ok That budjet is for each separately is that to little?

And thanks guys for the help it has made my choice much easier

Igameonmac

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2007
That budget should be more than plenty really for a very decent windows gaming platform. Couldnt have posted better advice than what was given above, so will keep yapper shut on that part :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.