Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PapaPiccolino

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2015
Hi everyone.

I have a Mac Pro 3.1 with 32 GB RAM, and fitted with 4 hard drives :

- drive 1 has OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard, formatted as Mac OS Extended
- drive 2 has OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan, formatted as Mac OS Extended
- drive 3 has no OS, formatted as Mac OS Extended
- drive 4 has OS X 10.15.7 Catalina, formatted as APFS, and installed using the dosdude Catalina patcher tool.

The Catalina install was undertaken 2 days ago. It seemed to go fine, and all seems OK, except the computer won't sleep when booted in this drive (the Catalina drive). When I boot into Snow Leopard and El Capitan, sleep works correctly.

I have tried zapping PRAM, reset SMC, adjusting the Energy Saver preferences, but it makes no difference - the computer won't sleep.

Any help in solving this would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

PapaPiccolino

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2015
And if anyone knows why Blender 3.3.1 refuses to launch, I'd be most grateful. I have read the FAQ on the dosude website about immediately relaunching the app, which I have done 20 times, but it still won't launch. I believe my computer meets the minimum system requirements for Blender 3.3.1.

Firefox 106 and Microsoft Word 2021 seem to be fine.

Thank you.

PapaPiccolino

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2015
Hello fricotin. Thanks for that reply.

I have tried both ways of putting the computer to sleep : the auto way, and also by going to the Apple menu in the top left and selecting "sleep." Neither method works. I have tried many times.

Thank you.

Reactions: fricotin

PapaPiccolino

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2015
Hi everyone. I contacted dosdude1 directly via twitter, and he suggested that upgrading to a Metal compatible video card should solve this issue. I currently have an Nvidia GeForce GTX 285 that is not Metal compatible.

1.One thing I've noticed when booted in Catalina is a very slight lag and slight ghosting when moving the arrow cursor around the screen - would a Metal compatible GPU solve this issue ?

2.Also, I cannot get Blender 2.8 or 3.3.1 to boot in Catalina. Blender 2.8 works perfectly when I use my El Capitan drive - would this be solved by a Metal GPU ?

3.And lastly, would an Nvidia or AMD card be better ? Whichever one I buy will not be an OEM Mac card, it will be a flashed PC card.

Thank you.

axius

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2023
Hi @PapaPiccolino,

Just checking in if the "Computer sleep" was ever resolved?

I experience the same, no sleep on macOS Catalina 10.15.7, Dosdude patched. The symptoms are like yours,  > Sleep only puts the display to sleep. Regardless if adjusting the settings for "auto-sleep" in System Preferences > Energy Saver.

My system is a Mac Pro 3,1, 2x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 4 GB 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM with a AMD Radeon R9 280X 3 GB ("PC"-card, not Mac flashed).

This system is a test-bed for what macOS could possibly "work well" as my other Mac Pro 3,1 is running El Capitan as it should (Dosdude patched) for many years.

PapaPiccolino

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2015
Hi axius. No, I never took dosdude's advice to purchase a Metal compatible GPU. Partly I got busy with other things, and partly I lost interest in the project. I'm now just using my 3.1 with El Capitan and the GTX 285, and for now, that will have to do. Given the speed at which Apple changes things and upgrades technology, there's probably a tipping point that one reaches when spending time and money trying to "modernize" old equipment becomes a bit of a waste of time IMO.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.