Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Flashing Fi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2007
Hey guys. I'm sure some of you have seen me in here answering general laptop questions that's pretty generic across all laptops.

Well, I'm replacing my Acer laptop, which is a POS. I don't feel like going into detail, but lets just say it's made me paranoid about buying another one. Last time I "cheaped" out on a laptop. It was 1500 dollars when I bought it, but when compared to other laptops with the same specs at the time, it was a bargain.

So, this time around, I want to buy a good, reliable laptop that will last me 3-4 years through school. The laptop is not a "luxury," as I really do need it for a few of my classes, as I'm majoring in engineering, which also means I need a powerful laptop (no integrated graphics).

So, the MacBook Pro caught my eye. Mac OS X as of now, has Unix capabilities, which is a big plus for engineering, and with Leopard, it will be Unix compliant, an even greater plus. Oh, and I can run Windows Apps, which fits is the most important thing.

Well, after lurking around here for a few days, I have noticed people with various problems in their laptop.

I've read things from the famous bottom of the screen yellowing issue, airport problems, warped screens, ect. When I get my MacBook Pro, I don't want any of these problems.

I figure this time, if I drop a little extra dough, I won't have to replace it after a year of use.

Please, tell me I have nothing to worry about and that these incidents are pretty isolated. I plan on ordering the laptop either the day that Leopard is released or at the very end of the month. I can't wait any longer, as my current laptop is worrying me (I have already sent it in twice).

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
Well, I have had my MacBook for 13 months now. And the only real issues I have run into is that after about 6-7 months, the palmrests started cracking and getting painfully stained. I found a new replacement on ebay since I couldn't afford to be without it for 1week+ and have had no problems since.

I would say that you should go for the MacBook Pro. Worst case scenario is that you get an absolute lemon (i don't mean a couple dead/stuck pixels, or a screen that doesn't close flush) and you take it back to an Apple Store and they will fix or replace it. I would recommend getting it at an actual Apple Store if you can, just for the ability to walk in, buy, walk out and not have to wait. Plus, you can if nothing else, open it up in the car and check it then and there for quality control issues.

DaveTheGrey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2003
When you go to a garage and look at all the broken cars there, would you think all cars got problems? Don't think so. :rolleyes:

Go buy your mbp and don't worry.
And if your mac isn't flawless, Applecare and the macrumors community will help you. :)

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
Well, I have had my MacBook for 13 months now. And the only real issues I have run into is that after about 6-7 months, the palmrests started cracking and getting painfully stained. I found a new replacement on ebay since I couldn't afford to be without it for 1week+ and have had no problems since.

I would say that you should go for the MacBook Pro. Worst case scenario is that you get an absolute lemon (i don't mean a couple dead/stuck pixels, or a screen that doesn't close flush) and you take it back to an Apple Store and they will fix or replace it. I would recommend getting it at an actual Apple Store if you can, just for the ability to walk in, buy, walk out and not have to wait. Plus, you can if nothing else, open it up in the car and check it then and there for quality control issues.

I respectfully disagree about buying from the apple store. If you're the type of person worried about defects - you don't want to have to go back to that store. Depending on the apple store, they might be very nice to you and understanding, i.e. help you get replacement, or they might make you go through hoops to get it.

If you buy from somewhere like Best Buy, they'll price match the education discount, and they have a super liberal return policy, so if there's anything wrong with it, you don't have to pass through the apple geniuses who will do whatever they can to tell you that the laptop is "within spec".

But honestly, most of apple's laptops are perfect. This forum will obviously attract the people who have problems. That's probably the #1 reason why people join the forum - they have problems with their apple computer.

My macbook pro is fine...and I didn't have to exchange it. I'm starting to think the bottom of the screen may be a bit yellow but it's all psychological just because I've been reading it here. The screen is beautiful compared to any other laptop, trust me. In the event you do get a problem, you can just return it (depending on the store, i.e. apple store, best buy, circuit city, etc.) your experience will vary. Some apple stores will be very understanding about defects while others will not. on the + side, all BB stores will just take it back. But don't worry about that anyway.

The mbp is a splendid machine, and there's really no reason you should worry because it can even run windows if you need to.

You also have something very unique when you buy a mac - these forums! I don't think there's any other forum out there for computers that has as enthusiastic and nice people, who are always willing to help! just to show, look how quickly you got replies!

Go ahead and do it - you won't regret it.

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
I respectfully disagree about buying from the apple store. If you're the type of person worried about defects - you don't want to have to go back to that store. Depending on the apple store, they might be very nice to you and understanding, i.e. help you get replacement, or they might make you go through hoops to get it.

If you buy from somewhere like Best Buy, they'll price match the education discount, and they have a super liberal return policy, so if there's anything wrong with it, you don't have to pass through the apple geniuses who will do whatever they can to tell you that the laptop is "within spec".

But honestly, most of apple's laptops are perfect. This forum will obviously attract the people who have problems. That's probably the #1 reason why people join the forum - they have problems with their apple computer.

My macbook pro is fine...and I didn't have to exchange it. I'm starting to think the bottom of the screen may be a bit yellow but it's all psychological just because I've been reading it here. The screen is beautiful compared to any other laptop, trust me. In the event you do get a problem, you can just return it (depending on the store, i.e. apple store, best buy, circuit city, etc.) your experience will vary. Some apple stores will be very understanding about defects while others will not. on the + side, all BB stores will just take it back. But don't worry about that anyway.

The mbp is a splendid machine, and there's really no reason you should worry because it can even run windows if you need to.

You also have something very unique when you buy a mac - these forums! I don't think there's any other forum out there for computers that has as enthusiastic and nice people, who are always willing to help! just to show, look how quickly you got replies!

Go ahead and do it - you won't regret it.

You are right about the possibility of not getting the best response out of people at the Apple Store. Some times they just get swamped and don't have time to pay as close attention as necessary. That being said, if you are anywhere near Pittsburgh, I recommend the Apple Store on Walnut Ave. The employees there are willing to go above and beyond, and even when the geniuses get swamped, they seem pretty good natured, albeit slightly obviously swamped looking. I have been there twice (was visiting friends as a bonus to teh trip, even though there are 2 apple stores closer to me) with my friend to get his ipod replaced, and they seem great.

The Best Buy route is a decent one if you have one in your area that sells Macs in the store. Some of them don't, in fact, I have yet to see one that does, but I don't exactly hunt around the countryside for Best Buys :) The only reason I recommended the B&M store idea in the first place is because he seemed so paranoid about the situation, and this gave him a chance to get it immediately taken care of.

All in all, I think you will have nothing to complain about when you get your MacBook Pro, but do remember to get it on Education Discount. Or, if you want to, you can join the Apple Developer Connection for $99 to get a 1 time $400 discount (so $301 after you do the math) on a MacBook Pro. Plus, unless I am mistaken, you also get a copy of OS X, OS X betas, and other goodies too.

vultureparade

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2007
I wouldn't buy a MBP at an online retailer. There are so many possible problems with the model that it's best to get the MBP at a store so you have somewhere to go if there is something wrong with it out of the box.

I bought one from Amazon.com and it was plagued with issues. I returned it about three weeks ago and I'm still waiting for my refund.

Apple wouldn't replace the MBP for me because I ordered it at Amazon.

klymr

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2007
Utah
My MBP is near perfect also. I have the 17" model though. The only problem I have seen is my battery doing weird things. That's only a minor thing also. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Not-a-cliche

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2007
Yes, these problems are very common, they happen 99% of the time. That's why we all buy Macs.

Quit worrying.

crzdmniac

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2007
I bought from the apple online store, and I've had problems. They are shipping an advanced replacement so I don't have to be without a computer. They are VERY helpful. So if you buy online from the apple store I wouldn't worry too much about it.

merc669

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2006
Southern MD, USA
I bought my MBP at the Apple Store in Hawaii about 18 months ago and was really impressed with the sales and technical folks there. Very fine shoppin experience for me. The only problem I have had with it was one of the fans (right side) went bad. AppleCare was very responsive about fixing it (Took 2 trys) via their mail-in box they provide but it was resolved. Only complaint I had was mine was registered with the original 1Meg of Ram vice 2. I bought another 1Meg Ram Chip from OWC (Other World Computing) and the first time my computer was returned I had to reinstall the Ram. After the first try I was told by the AppleCare Techrep to ensure I remove any third-party memory prior to sending it in. Either way the MBP has been my best computer and has for all practical purposes replaced my current desktop a Dell XP machine which is faster but running Windoze! Buy the MBP and Enjoy!! Be sure and buy the AppleCare though! Its a little more but its peace of mind for me!

Bill.....:apple:

webgoat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2007
Austin, TX
I bought my MBP at the Apple Store in Hawaii about 18 months ago and was really impressed with the sales and technical folks there. Very fine shoppin experience for me. The only problem I have had with it was one of the fans (right side) went bad. AppleCare was very responsive about fixing it (Took 2 trys) via their mail-in box they provide but it was resolved. Only complaint I had was mine was registered with the original 1Meg of Ram vice 2. I bought another 1Meg Ram Chip from OWC (Other World Computing) and the first time my computer was returned I had to reinstall the Ram. After the first try I was told by the AppleCare Techrep to ensure I remove any third-party memory prior to sending it in. Either way the MBP has been my best computer and has for all practical purposes replaced my current desktop a Dell XP machine which is faster but running Windoze! Buy the MBP and Enjoy!! Be sure and buy the AppleCare though! Its a little more but its peace of mind for me!

Bill.....:apple:

they require you to remove the memory you added? its a user replaceable part and a lot of people sell their old memory.

merc669

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2006
Southern MD, USA
First time it came back in a little anti-static bag with attached documentation saying that the memory was a possible culprit with the fan issue. I laughed a lot on that and reinstalled but had a screen issue. So called the rep again and they said to remove the extra memory since Apple did not install but was not the cause of the fan issue. Removed it and sent it in on a Monday and was back in my hands all fixed by Friday...

Bill Sends....:apple:

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
The issue is that yes, it is a User Serviceable part, but, it is not covered under the AppleCare Warranty. So if you replace the RAM in your system, I would suggest holding on to the old so if an issue does come up, you pop the old RAM back in, test the system, and send it.

zechmann

macrumors member
May 8, 2007
yea i am not impressed with apple's hardware... my last laptop was a sony vaio and its hardware is far superior (/more expensive)

NoOneButMe

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2006
A far greater majority of MBP's dont have any problems with them. You only hear the vocal minority that shout and whine (Occasionally rightfully so) about problems. No one ever spams forums saying their laptop is perfect and they dont have issues. But people are far more likely to rant on and on about something that's broken.

Yep, they're all isolated to me. I've had to go through 11 MBPs in order to get one with no problems. MBP #11 is a keeper. (FINALLY!)
While some of us go through a single MBP and have it perfect. I dont have any problems with my MBP - Perfect screen, heat isnt bad, etc. Of course, the space between the T and the Y key doesn't bother me, but i vaguely remember seeing people return MBP's for that reason :rolleyes:

Dont suppose you have a blog somewhere of what went wrong with 11 MBP's? I kinda find hard to believe that you went through 11 MBP's before getting one right. Statistically, it's pretty hard to go through that many.

whats the apple developers connection? I want in on that how do i join?
Apple's developer program - It's designed for developers, gives them access to mailing lists and (depending on your plan), prerelease software and support from apple developers directly. It also comes with a nice hardware discount that varies per computer. it costs $99 if you're a student. Else it costs a bit more - $500 or $1600 i believe. Not positive though.

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
yea i am not impressed with apple's hardware... my last laptop was a sony vaio and its hardware is far superior (/more expensive)

In what way are you not impressed with Apple's hardware? The look, the build quality, the shape of the keyboard? What is it, and what makes your Vaio more superior? This is just me trying to nail down if it is purely subjective or objective assessment.

aimfire

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
Sunnyvale, CA
If you buy from somewhere like Best Buy, they'll price match the education discount, and they have a super liberal return policy, so if there's anything wrong with it, you don't have to pass through the apple geniuses who will do whatever they can to tell you that the laptop is "within spec"..
Ouch, I'll have to respectfully disagree with that - Best Buy is probably the worst place you can buy a laptop... :eek:

A few months ago, I bought a Sony Vaio there and it had a defective, warped keyboard. I spent over an hour arguing with several different people about the defect and they would only allow me to exchange it for an open-box item, or return it with a 15% restocking fee. I ended up carefully repacking the box and the seal, and returned it to another BB, had to lie and say I never opened it.

If you have an Apple Store near you, I would highly recommend buying from there, go straight to the source.

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
Ouch, I'll have to respectfully disagree with that - Best Buy is probably the worst place you can buy a laptop... :eek:

A few months ago, I bought a Sony Vaio there and it had a defective, warped keyboard. I spent over an hour arguing with several different people about the defect and they would only allow me to exchange it for an open-box item, or return it with a 15% restocking fee. I ended up carefully repacking the box and the seal, and returned it to another BB, had to lie and say I never opened it.

If you have an Apple Store near you, I would highly recommend buying from there, go straight to the source.

Wow, interesting. I totally take back what I said.

I worked at Future Shop this summer (canada), a company owned by Best Buy Co., which owns Best Buy and Future Shop. Basically they're the same company - they have the same stuff, the only difference is futureshop has commissioned salesmen whereas best buy does not.

At Futureshop, the return policy for most items is 30 days, but for computers/laptops it's 14 days. Basically, if it's not working, they'll refund you in total, or give you a new machine, or anotehr model - whatever you want. You don't even need to give a reason. If you have buyer's remorse - not to worry - they'll take it back. And I'm pretty sure it's the same with all Future Shop's. I did a little screenshot of the return policy from their website to show this. The only thing we had restocking fees for was projectors - because people ALWAYS return them - they buy them for one presentation and then return them. The restocking fee is 10% because we change the bulb.

I was under the impression that best buy did the same thing.

In fact, after reading on the bestbuy.com website, there appears to be a restocking fee for on notebook computers of 15% unless defective. So if you have buyer's remorse...too bad. I posted a screenshot of that as well.

Sorry to be giving false information. However, I still believe it's a better place to buy than the apple store. I'm sure that at best buy you wouldn't have to fight if there really is defective and I don't think they'd hassle you for proof.

What happened to you was an exception - I believe - and hence your negative attitude towards BB. I have a negative attitude towards the apple store because of a bad experience, too.

For something like an iPod touch though, there is no restocking fee, and there is a no-questions asked return policy. Def. better to buy there. It also appears that they have a restocking fee for GPS units, which makes sense, because I often hear of people "renting" them for trips and such.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    36.2 KB · Views: 58
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    49.3 KB · Views: 47

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
For what it's worth, my Macbook Pro (came in last week, 2.4Ghz 15.4" model) seems completely perfect.

Windows was ridiculously easy to install too (seriously easier than even my Dells, as Apple's software builds you a completely automated driver CD). My biggest complaint is the lack of an (officially) user replaceable hard drive (and I do have some complaints about OS X, but that's a separate thing).

Unfortunately laptops are pretty unreliable. In the new Consumer Reports data they're actually getting worse. Most are clumped around 21-23% needing a repair (I think in the first year).

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
For what it's worth, my Macbook Pro (came in last week, 2.4Ghz 15.4" model) seems completely perfect.

Windows was ridiculously easy to install too (seriously easier than even my Dells, as Apple's software builds you a completely automated driver CD). My biggest complaint is the lack of an (officially) user replaceable hard drive (and I do have some complaints about OS X, but that's a separate thing).

Unfortunately laptops are pretty unreliable. In the new Consumer Reports data they're actually getting worse. Most are clumped around 21-23% needing a repair (I think in the first year).

It's quite humorous and ironic that it's easier to install XP on a Mac than on a Vista system.

The Flashing Fi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2007
Thanks for the replies guys. I'll probably end up buying the laptop from an Apple Store. I have dealt with BB before when I had a dead pixel on my first iPod. I took it back hassle free, but I'm sure that if it was a notebook, it probably won't be hassle free at all, and a 15% restocking free is a lot of cash.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.