Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mrs HBF

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
I still have 13.5.1 because of the warnings about battery drain I have read in Forbes. Now I read about a security breach and the importance of upgrading to 14.4 immediately. I certainly do banking on my phone so that’s got my attention.

With my older phone, should I upgrade to 14.4 and why? Thanks.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Forbes is grocery store tabloid. They like to print gross exaggerations to get people to read their articles.

To my knowledge, there is currently no battery drain problem that affects everyone running iOS 14.

I don't know what you are referring to with the mention of data breach.

iOS 14 has been smooth for me on an original SE as well as the iPhone 12 mini.

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
Forbes is grocery store tabloid. They like to print gross exaggerations to get people to read their articles.

To my knowledge, there is currently no battery drain problem that affects everyone running iOS 14.

I don't know what you are referring to with the mention of data breach.

iOS 14 has been smooth for me on an original SE as well as the iPhone 12 mini.

Apple states that they are aware there may have been active exploits on these security fixes.

If it were me, I would update. It's been smooth for me and battery life on all my iOS devices is very good on 14.4.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.

Euroamerican

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2010
Boise
I upgraded my iPhone 8 to 14.x a couple weeks ago and the battery life has since been horrible. I've just run the updated to 14.4 and there is no change in the poor battery life.

Coconut battery shows no difference in battery capacity before and after the update to 14.

It has been rather aggravating and has made my iPhone useless for keeping track of my snowboarding runs during a five hour session on the mountain. Ski Tracks used to be able to track up to 15 or so runs before the battery wore out. Now I drop to 20 percent after only 6 runs.

Mrs HBF

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
I upgraded my iPhone 8 to 14.x a couple weeks ago and the battery life has since been horrible. I've just run the updated to 14.4 and there is no change in the poor battery life.

Coconut battery shows no difference in battery capacity before and after the update to 14.

It has been rather aggravating and has made my iPhone useless for keeping track of my snowboarding runs during a five hour session on the mountain. Ski Tracks used to be able to track up to 15 or so runs before the battery wore out. Now I drop to 20 percent after only 6 runs.
That’s abysmal.

jaykay51

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2021
I upgraded my iPhone 6s to 14.4 over the weekend. HUGE mistake. Battery life was fine on 14.3 (not great but fine for an older phone). My battery now drains after an hour of doing NOTHING and will drain overnight from 100% to 1%. I am now investigating downgrading back to 14.3. My phone is useless unless connected to power or a portable charger.

Battery health has not changed. I can't be the only one this is happening to

Mrs HBF

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
I upgraded my iPhone 6s to 14.4 over the weekend. HUGE mistake. Battery life was fine on 14.3 (not great but fine for an older phone). My battery now drains after an hour of doing NOTHING and will drain overnight from 100% to 1%. I am now investigating downgrading back to 14.3. My phone is useless unless connected to power or a portable charger.

Wow. I had read about battery drainage problems upgrading to 14 and higher from 13.5.1. I was not aware of loss of battery life between 14.3 and 14.4.

jaykay51

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2021
Wow. I had read about battery drainage problems upgrading to 14 and higher from 13.5.1. I was not aware of loss of battery life between 14.3 and 14.4.
Yeah, I did my research beforehand and was more concerned with the security fixes than with battery drain that never happened to me prior to 14.4. Lesson learned - always wait at least 2 weeks to upgrade.:mad:

Reactions: Mrs HBF

Hoff

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2018
Just updated my 6S to iOS 14.4.
Battery on a 6S is going to drain faster than newer modals but it runs all tasks smoothly....still ... with so little RAM. 6S still a beast LOL!!

How can 2 people with same phone and iOS have such different experience?!?

Reactions: max2

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
How is the iPhone 7 on 14.4 doing now?
I have 7 plus and I'm concerned about battery life and lagging keyboard and apps.

Works fine for me in terms of performance. Dunno about battery life. My battery was already crap/degraded even on iOS 12.

Reactions: max2 and Hoff
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.