Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beebarb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
The preview page outlines something called 'Optimised Storage', on one part it seems like a good idea, but one part also has me concerned.

"Storage space maxed out? No problem. macOS Sierra can help make more room by automatically storing rarely used files in the cloud and keeping them available on demand."

I DO NOT WANT MY FILES UPLOADED RANDOMLY.

In part because they are MY FILES, and in part because I also have a horrible internet connection that cannot handle the requisite sync load.

Also, 'Your Desktop and Documents folder. Accessible on all your devices.'
Disabling this immediately due to both the same points.

Other than these two problem 'features' macOS Sierra looks like it'll be an improvement.
Siri looks like it won't be in the way, so I'll take a wait and see approach with that.

Plus, the name change was a long time coming, 10.10 and 10.11 made no sense being called 'OS X' to me.

Last edited:

!!!

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2013
The preview page outlines something called 'Optimised Storage', on one part it seems like a good idea, but one part also has me concerned.

"Storage space maxed out? No problem. macOS Sierra can help make more room by <b>automatically storing rarely used files in the cloud</b> and keeping them available on demand."

I DO NOT WANT MY FILES UPLOADED RANDOMLY.

In part because they are MY FILES, and in part because I also have a horrible internet connection that cannot handle the requisite sync load.

Also, 'Your Desktop and Documents folder. Accessible on all your devices.'
Disabling this immediately due to both the same points.

Other than these two problem 'features' macOS Sierra looks like it'll be an improvement.
Siri looks like it won't be in the way, so I'll take a wait and see approach with that.

Plus, the name change was a long time coming, 10.10 and 10.11 made no sense being called 'OS X' to me.
That feature will be disabled by default. You can check in the iCloud settings panel.

Reactions: grahamperrin

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
This cannot possibly go wrong. /s

My iCloud is messed up and I’m not even using it except on my iPhone for game saves in iCloud Drive. It’s been saying for months that I only have 200 MB left, even though the space usage list amounts to less than a MB. No way I am going to let Apple near my files like this.

Reactions: beebarb

Samuel Bradshaw

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2014
How does this storing and syncing via iCloud affect storage space? For those of us with the standard, basic iCloud, will it still back up and sync all of our files?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.