Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moxxham

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2015
Sydney, Australia
I don't know if I'm being unnecessarily carful or silly, but after a hot shower or when I wake up in the morning, I feel a little reluctant to put my watch on. Im just worried that the warmth of my skin will create condensation inside the watch as its so cold. This has happened a few times and has made it really wet under the watch band and sensors. While it is waterproof, overtime I feel like it cause cause some damage.

Should i wait to cool down before I put it on and slowly warm the watch with my skin, or is it fine to just put it on anyway?

Raggamuffin

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2015
Put it on and don't worry. They are tougher than you think. In two years we'll all have V2 anyhow.

Raggamuffin

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2015
Had my stainless at the beach last weekend. Went swimming in the salt water and built sand castles with the kids. They're solid outta the box but will probably loosen up with time.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
You can't get condensation in your watch unless there is moisture inside. As the OLED screen is very sensitive to moisture, Apple has made sure this will not happen in everyday life of the watch.

Put that watch on with out worry and enjoy!

Subdiv

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2014
Colorado
I don't know if I'm being unnecessarily carful or silly, but after a hot shower or when I wake up in the morning, I feel a little reluctant to put my watch on. Im just worried that the warmth of my skin will create condensation inside the watch as its so cold.
Actually, if something were going to create condensation inside the watch, it would be cold, not heat. Cold air is less able to hold moisture. Think of a foggy day...when it warms up, the fog disappears. If there were moisture inside your watch, putting it on would actually help rid it of condensation. But as others have indicated, I wouldn't worry about it. :)

srshaw

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2011
I wouldn't worry, as long as you don't get it properly wet it will be fine. I have a feeling even if you do get it wet it will be fine also, I think Apple have been very conservative with their water resistance ratings. I read a review on dcrainmaker.com and he tested an Apple watch to 50m and it was fine. Obviously this isn't recommended, and he may have a tougher than average sample, but a slight bit of dampness shouldn't harm it.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
Actually, if something were going to create condensation inside the watch, it would be cold, not heat. Cold air is less able to hold moisture. Think of a foggy day...when it warms up, the fog disappears. If there were moisture inside your watch, putting it on would actually help rid it of condensation. But as others have indicated, I wouldn't worry about it. :)
How would this be possible if it's sealed? the moisture could not escape unless there were a relief valve like in some helium release dive watches, or a bad seal, in which case there's a bigger problem.

That raises an interesting question -- the operating temperature specified by Apple is 32F-95F, which implies the ceramic back insulates from the body which has a temperature of 98.7F, that or the cooler ambient temperature helps conduct the heat out of the watch before the internals can heat up beyond the maximum operating temperature.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
I don't know if I'm being unnecessarily carful or silly, but after a hot shower or when I wake up in the morning, I feel a little reluctant to put my watch on. Im just worried that the warmth of my skin will create condensation inside the watch as its so cold. This has happened a few times and has made it really wet under the watch band and sensors. While it is waterproof, overtime I feel like it cause cause some damage.

Should i wait to cool down before I put it on and slowly warm the watch with my skin, or is it fine to just put it on anyway?

People take showers with the watch and you're worried about moisture on your skin after a shower touching it?

Also, you realize that these were designed to workout in

ryanasimov

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2007
Am I reading your question correctly? Are you asking if the act of putting a room-temperature watch on your body-temperature wrist will cause future damage?

loug116

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2012
What was that about condensation...?

Attachments

• IMG_0399.jpg
    IMG_0399.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 357

loug116

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2012
If that is on the inside of the screen you are farked!:eek:

It's been like that for about 2 weeks but I can't get an appointment at any store in London - they're all booked up...

----------

I see a couple of scratches and a reflection. Are you saying there is water inside your watch?

Look carefully, there's a square of condensation under the glass covering the majority of the display - I needed string light to catch teh reflection of the condensation, it doesn't look that bad in normal use.

loug116

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2012
You can't call Apple and have them send you a new one? Then you return the original back in the same box.

I haven't gotten around to calling, was expecting to have to send my watch back before they send the replacement, I needed an appointment for my Air as well, so was hoping to get them both sorted together.

I'm not sure how the condensation has gotten in, I wore it in the shower for the first few weeks, but since the condensation appeared I've made an effort to only rinse it after gym sessions and otherwise keep it dry. The size of the condensation seems to be shrinking very slowly.

Last edited:

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I haven't gotten around to calling, was expecting to have to send my watch back before they send the replacement, I needed an appointment for my Air as well so was hoping to get them both sorted together.

Im not sure how the condensation has gotten in, I wore it in the shower for the first few weeks, but since the condensation appeared I've made an effort to only rinse it after gym sessions and otherwise keep it dry. The size of the condensation seems to be shrinking very slowly.

I have washed mine off multiple times but not showered with it. Neither should have any effect. Sorry about the trouble.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
I haven't gotten around to calling, was expecting to have to send my watch back before they send the replacement, I needed an appointment for my Air as well, so was hoping to get them both sorted together.

I'm not sure how the condensation has gotten in, I wore it in the shower for the first few weeks, but since the condensation appeared I've made an effort to only rinse it after gym sessions and otherwise keep it dry. The size of the condensation seems to be shrinking very slowly.

You'll have to let us know how you make out. Appears you may be the first to have broken the seals in your watch (at least reporting here) - be interesting to see how the staff treat your water ingress in the watch.

Subdiv

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2014
Colorado
How would this be possible if it's sealed? the moisture could not escape unless there were a relief valve like in some helium release dive watches, or a bad seal, in which case there's a bigger problem.

The moisture would not need to escape. Warm air holds more moisture than cold air. It would just be absorbed back into the air inside the watch.
That's of course in the unlikely event that there is enough moisture inside the watch to condense in the first place...

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
The moisture would not need to escape. Warm air holds more moisture than cold air. It would just be absorbed back into the air inside the watch.
That's of course in the unlikely event that there is enough moisture inside the watch to condense in the first place...

If there is enough moisture to condense on th inside of the screen, it will cause problems sooner or later. Heating up the watch and having the air in the watch hold that moisture is not good either.

There should be no moisture and the watch needs to be replaced by Apple.

Subdiv

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2014
Colorado
If there is enough moisture to condense on th inside of the screen, it will cause problems sooner or later. Heating up the watch and having the air in the watch hold that moisture is not good either.

There should be no moisture and the watch needs to be replaced by Apple.
I don't think OP has seen condensation inside the watch. I just wanted to point out that warmth will not cause condensation.

bigred7078

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2010
USA
I wouldn't worry about that at all. I've been swimming with mine several times and it works/looks perfect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.