Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sebastian79

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2017
I have a skype interview which will be recorded and posted online. I am wondering which of my devices is the best way to go.
-2017 MBP
-ipad 7
-iphone xs

I know the mbp camera isn’t all that great, but it would be the most comfortable to use on a desk. And one more thing I am wondering is whether to use airpods.

appreciate your feedback!

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Unless you have a stand for the iPhone or iPad. I'd probably go for the MBP. The cameras good enough for conferences. Lighting is more important than anything. ie You don't want a bright light behind you. Like the camera facing a window. You want good lighting in front of you. Behind the camera.

Reactions: Sebastian79

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
And one more thing I am wondering is whether to use airpods.
I'd use AirPods or wired earbuds/headphones with a mic during an interview. Why? Because audio quality is important during an interview and built-in mics are terrible. I also think with the amount of video conferencing happening during the pandemic, most people don't think twice about people wearing audio devices. Even television reporters use them on camera now.

If I had the same choice, I would use whatever accessory put a mic closest to my mouth...that means EarPods for me.

Sebastian79

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2017
I have heard that the 2017 MBP mics are good. Is it really worth using airpods?

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
I have heard that the 2017 MBP mics are good. Is it really worth using airpods?
I think so because a lot of people on video calls and conferences sound thin or distant to me. The common thread? Using built-in mics. Some other benefits of AirPods or similar are better self-awareness of your tone, volume, and projection, improved definition of what others are saying, less chance of extraneous noises mixing in with your voice, and superior overall sound quality.

Plus, and for me most important, in an interview situation I want to be completely focused and present on the conversation. Dealing with camera, mic, or sound problems caused by my gear during a meeting or event is something I want to avoid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.