Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fthree

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 14, 2014
I consider myself a major Garmin supporter. Having thousands of activities logged and keeping up with my friends through challenges keeps me interested in fitness. Ive run many marathons and half marathons and my garmin has always been my watch of choice. Ive owned everything from the garmin fenix 3 and 630 to the fenix 7x. I have logged over 11,000 running miles and tens of millions of steps over the years on connect. I bought an apple watch 4 a few years ago and wore it during a marathon and it died on me on mile 17 (I run about a 4 hour 26.2). I knew this would probably happen so I also wore my fenix. I skipped the AW 5, 6, 7 and then the Ultra was announced. Being skeptical I ended up buying one with the intentions of taking it back because I was sure it would not be tooooooo much different than the 4. I was wrong. Sitting here with about 1200 running miles logged on the Ultra I can say that it truly is a nice device to have on during runs. The ability to make as many calls, send as many texts and listen to whatever I want at my request has been such a game changer for me that loading playlists on my garmin has become like using a land line phone when a cell phone is available.

I am a metrics NERD. Probably the biggest metrics nerd. My wife probably looks at me like a crazy man because of how much I like my every step and every heart beat "logged". Apple and Garmin BOTH do a great job of logging metrics but YOU ARE RIGHT fellow Garmin lovers Apple does a VERY POOR job of presenting these metrics by having to use multiple apps - some paid. I love seeing my vertical oscillation and ground contact time on one app and how well I am recovered and how awful I slept there as well! Apple could do better on this end 100%. But what am I doing? Do I ACTUALLY change anything from having this information presented and at my disposal? Ok yeah here and there. I think wow I slept like crap I need to go to bed tonite at a good time.

Im in my mid 40s. I have chased a BQ for the longest time and am short by about an hour lol however that achievement stays in the back of my mind. My day to day pulls me ever further from that BQ but the young man in me still believes. I think that is why I am so dang paranoid about giving up my garmin. I think it would be like the nail in the coffin of my hopes and dreams of running a Boston qualifying time. But would it really though? Why would not having that garmin give me those thoughts? The Ultra has become such a great running companion for me that I cannot imagine not having it on my wrist during any of my runs. Like I said above the cellular IMO has almost paid for the Ultra over and over as there have been days that I was out in the heat running and OVERESTIMATED my ability for those given days and I end up pretty far from home and needed to call my wife for a ride. Without question she comes and gets me and in her panic says "thank God you had your watch!" She gives me the "really" eyes whenever im talking to her about the newest watches and tech. She listens and knows im going to buy it no matter what she thinks and fortunately a few hundred dollars isn't going to kill us. It's my "thing" what I watch youtube videos about and think about during the day when im not working. (Of course family comes first that's a given)

Now onto the point. I have owned the Ultra 1 for about a year. As I have stated above I have about 1100 miles on it. It still looks brand new and the battery is still at 100%. A few MINOR scratches but nothing that makes it looked horribly used or like ive climbed Everest and lived to tell about it. One of my biggest complaints about it has been Siri. I love using siri to change playlists, go to the next song and turn the volume up. Sometimes Siri has issues with the above. It's like every once in a while Siri forgets what it's doing..... Ive had to ask 3-4 times to finally get the result I want. I do have to say now with the on device Siri things are working extremely smooth. It seems almost like magic... THE WAY IT SHOULD HAVE ALWAYS BEEN. The brighter display is well brighter...... I THINK (could be in my head) that it seems smoother/quicker just scrolling and clicking on apps on the watch... This all could be in my head and I could possibly be thinking this as I just spent $400 more dollars on an Ultra 2 (traded my ultra for $380 used the apple card for an extra $20 in rewards) and do not want to know that I made a bad decision... At this point the smoother feeling OS and the way better Siri response seems worth it.

My conclusion - I love to run and lift weights. Two things I'll never be - 1. the Boston Marathon Champion and 2. Mr. Olympia however if you dont keep going you will have health issues and that's not cool. I love the latest and greatest tech BUT I also temper my expectations and try to sift through the newest and get what makes sense. Unfortunately I cannot run without both a garmin and a AW. I cannot get over not having my metrics and stats on connect but I also cannot go without 40 million songs at my command and a phone to reach out for help if I need it. This is a dilemma for real.... The Ultra 2 to me is worth it as the new OS on the Ultra feels sort of sluggish and Siri is def slower and clunkier on it. Will that matter to you? I honestly do not know. Will you notice it? No if you do not upgrade to the Ultra 2 from the 1 or MAYBE a series 8? I think that the new updates and apps that come along will take advantage of the new SIP and push the Ultra 1 into slower and clunkier land and that would be super frustrating knowing what the Ultra 2 is capable of.

I know I probably rambled a bit typing and trying to get my points across isn't my strong suit I'll admit it. I hope that I have given some of you some good or bad ideas about being a garmin guy and using an ultra/2. Please let me know your thoughts.

Duffman19

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2022
I’m in a similar situation. Been with Garmin for years, but have also tried all the others (Coros, Suunto, Polar, etc.). I primarily trail run and prioritize distance and HR accuracy above other metrics. I also need connectivity, but dislike running with a phone, so I’ve been running with both a Garmin 955 and a AW7.

The problem I’ve always had is the AW distance accuracy on trails and wooded areas. I tried the AWU1, but was too put off by the size. I’d really like to run with just one watch, so I’m giving the Ultra another shot with the AWU2. I’m a little more open to the size this go around, but still a bit disappointed with the GNSS accuracy on the trails. It’s just that little bit off and short compared to the 955.

One other issue I’ve run into is the difference in operating temperatures between the Series and Ultra. I live in an area with real winters and have had my AW7 crash several times during colder runs. The Ultra should help there.

I’m currently leaning towards keeping the Ultra 2 and using it for most of my day-to-day runs as it’s definitely good enough. If I need navigation or more accuracy (I sometimes use my GPS traces for Open Street Mapping), I’ll throw on the 955.

For you, the Ultra 2 seems like a decent upgrade to the 1. I’m hopeful we’ll see some significant updates in the near future that take advantage of the tech. If Apple can implement a decent navigation feature, I’ll be totally sold on the AWU as my “one” watch.

P.S. - Have you tried HealthFit? I dump all my health and workout info into the app. It’s a pretty good substitute for Garmin Connect.

Reactions: Fthree and xeux

PatrickNSF

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I think that is why I am so dang paranoid about giving up my garmin. I think it would be like the nail in the coffin of my hopes and dreams of running a Boston qualifying time. But would it really though?
I've self-coached myself into Boston and also worked with a coach and it's *much* easier for me to run a BQ when I work with a coach. In that case, the Garmin doesn't get you anything the Ultra can't provide.

But there's nothing wrong or even unusual with wearing both a Garmin and an AW – I see that all the time at races, though most people are sporting a Series xx for their AW and not the Ultra. I usually wear both when I'm training for a time goal (with the AW in my pocket and my Garmin on my wrist), but when I'm just running to say fit I'm fine with only the AW and I just use RunGap to export into Garmin Connect.

d3vp0ll

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2022
NY
Meh, I just wear a FlipBelt and bring my phone on long runs with my Fenix 6 Pro Solar. I was an Apple Watch nomad for nearly five years and yeah cellular is nice but I found myself needing my phone in ever increasing situations and couldn’t stand the overlap of having both devices. I don’t need two iPhones. All the while the Apple Watch and Ultra are subpar fitness watches and even with subscription bloat the experience is subpar. I can’t give up my Garmin. Just having the daily suggested workouts alone make it better than the AW.

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
I have been an Apple Watch user for years and been running with them for now 11 marathons and a LOT of half marathons and of course a ton of training kilometers every week.

I swapped my AW7 to an Ultra in January before going into the most intense year of my running life (or just most structured and serious - still just hobby). I have LOVED the size, battery, display, LTE - yes just about everything.

And last Sunday ran a 2.58 marathon in Bremen Germany, so hope it shows that you really don't need a Garmin to crush that Sub3 and qualify for Boston

PatrickNSF

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
And last Sunday ran a 2.58 marathon in Bremen Germany, so hope it shows that you really don't need a Garmin to crush that Sub3 and qualify for Boston
Congratulations on the race!

I’m still using my Garmin for races, but I may try the AW during next month‘s marathon just to see how it goes. I haven’t run any of this year‘s races for a BQ.

• Love
Reactions: Fthree and xDKP

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
Congratulations on the race!

I’m still using my Garmin for races, but I may try the AW during next month‘s marathon just to see how it goes. I haven’t run any of this year‘s races for a BQ.
Really like running with the Pacer mode and the desired pacing on the display

Reactions: Fthree

blackNBUK

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2010
UK
I’m in a similar situation. Been with Garmin for years, but have also tried all the others (Coros, Suunto, Polar, etc.). I primarily trail run and prioritize distance and HR accuracy above other metrics. I also need connectivity, but dislike running with a phone, so I’ve been running with both a Garmin 955 and a AW7.

The problem I’ve always had is the AW distance accuracy on trails and wooded areas. I tried the AWU1, but was too put off by the size. I’d really like to run with just one watch, so I’m giving the Ultra another shot with the AWU2. I’m a little more open to the size this go around, but still a bit disappointed with the GNSS accuracy on the trails. It’s just that little bit off and short compared to the 955.

One other issue I’ve run into is the difference in operating temperatures between the Series and Ultra. I live in an area with real winters and have had my AW7 crash several times during colder runs. The Ultra should help there.

I’m currently leaning towards keeping the Ultra 2 and using it for most of my day-to-day runs as it’s definitely good enough. If I need navigation or more accuracy (I sometimes use my GPS traces for Open Street Mapping), I’ll throw on the 955.

For you, the Ultra 2 seems like a decent upgrade to the 1. I’m hopeful we’ll see some significant updates in the near future that take advantage of the tech. If Apple can implement a decent navigation feature, I’ll be totally sold on the AWU as my “one” watch.

P.S. - Have you tried HealthFit? I dump all my health and workout info into the app. It’s a pretty good substitute for Garmin Connect.

Have you tried WorkOutDoors? I’ve never used a Garmin(!!) but I’m fairly picky about navigation and this app does everything I can think of while out on the trail.

Duffman19

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2022
Have you tried WorkOutDoors? I’ve never used a Garmin(!!) but I’m fairly picky about navigation and this app does everything I can think of while out on the trail.
Yeah, I’ve had WOD since my first AW. I’ll use it sometimes, but if I need navigation, the Garmin is still miles ahead. Specifically, the 955 provides turn notifications, an ETA to complete a route, and the ability to create routes on the device.

WOD does give the option to use the raw GNSS distance for a workout’s distance rather than Apple’s algorithmed distance. This does yield results very close to the 955. However, Apple still applies its algorithm upon importing the workout into its ecosystem, so you end up with the same results anyway.

Another issue I have with WOD is the elevation calculation. It’s always way under calculated. Sometimes by up to 50%. I don’t know why. Perhaps it’s me and the trails I run. Elevation gain is probably the third statistic I care about after distance and HR. So WOD is usually a no-go for me.

NickYanakiev

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2016
I've self-coached myself into Boston and also worked with a coach and it's *much* easier for me to run a BQ when I work with a coach. In that case, the Garmin doesn't get you anything the Ultra can't provide.

But there's nothing wrong or even unusual with wearing both a Garmin and an AW – I see that all the time at races, though most people are sporting a Series xx for their AW and not the Ultra. I usually wear both when I'm training for a time goal (with the AW in my pocket and my Garmin on my wrist), but when I'm just running to say fit I'm fine with only the AW and I just use RunGap to export into Garmin Connect.
I do the same- take the AW instead of my phone for streaming/emergency purposes.
How do you go about not having the AW on your wrist but in a pocket- I thought it needs to be unlocked to function correctly?

PatrickNSF

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I do the same- take the AW instead of my phone for streaming/emergency purposes.
How do you go about not having the AW on your wrist but in a pocket- I thought it needs to be unlocked to function correctly?
I just start the music app and then lock it. I think an older version of watchOS let me run the workout app without wearing the watch but it doesn't seem to work anymore.

dallison13

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
I consider myself a major Garmin supporter. Having thousands of activities logged and keeping up with my friends through challenges keeps me interested in fitness. Ive run many marathons and half marathons and my garmin has always been my watch of choice. Ive owned everything from the garmin fenix 3 and 630 to the fenix 7x. I have logged over 11,000 running miles and tens of millions of steps over the years on connect. I bought an apple watch 4 a few years ago and wore it during a marathon and it died on me on mile 17 (I run about a 4 hour 26.2). I knew this would probably happen so I also wore my fenix. I skipped the AW 5, 6, 7 and then the Ultra was announced. Being skeptical I ended up buying one with the intentions of taking it back because I was sure it would not be tooooooo much different than the 4. I was wrong. Sitting here with about 1200 running miles logged on the Ultra I can say that it truly is a nice device to have on during runs. The ability to make as many calls, send as many texts and listen to whatever I want at my request has been such a game changer for me that loading playlists on my garmin has become like using a land line phone when a cell phone is available.

I am a metrics NERD. Probably the biggest metrics nerd. My wife probably looks at me like a crazy man because of how much I like my every step and every heart beat "logged". Apple and Garmin BOTH do a great job of logging metrics but YOU ARE RIGHT fellow Garmin lovers Apple does a VERY POOR job of presenting these metrics by having to use multiple apps - some paid. I love seeing my vertical oscillation and ground contact time on one app and how well I am recovered and how awful I slept there as well! Apple could do better on this end 100%. But what am I doing? Do I ACTUALLY change anything from having this information presented and at my disposal? Ok yeah here and there. I think wow I slept like crap I need to go to bed tonite at a good time.

Im in my mid 40s. I have chased a BQ for the longest time and am short by about an hour lol however that achievement stays in the back of my mind. My day to day pulls me ever further from that BQ but the young man in me still believes. I think that is why I am so dang paranoid about giving up my garmin. I think it would be like the nail in the coffin of my hopes and dreams of running a Boston qualifying time. But would it really though? Why would not having that garmin give me those thoughts? The Ultra has become such a great running companion for me that I cannot imagine not having it on my wrist during any of my runs. Like I said above the cellular IMO has almost paid for the Ultra over and over as there have been days that I was out in the heat running and OVERESTIMATED my ability for those given days and I end up pretty far from home and needed to call my wife for a ride. Without question she comes and gets me and in her panic says "thank God you had your watch!" She gives me the "really" eyes whenever im talking to her about the newest watches and tech. She listens and knows im going to buy it no matter what she thinks and fortunately a few hundred dollars isn't going to kill us. It's my "thing" what I watch youtube videos about and think about during the day when im not working. (Of course family comes first that's a given)

Now onto the point. I have owned the Ultra 1 for about a year. As I have stated above I have about 1100 miles on it. It still looks brand new and the battery is still at 100%. A few MINOR scratches but nothing that makes it looked horribly used or like ive climbed Everest and lived to tell about it. One of my biggest complaints about it has been Siri. I love using siri to change playlists, go to the next song and turn the volume up. Sometimes Siri has issues with the above. It's like every once in a while Siri forgets what it's doing..... Ive had to ask 3-4 times to finally get the result I want. I do have to say now with the on device Siri things are working extremely smooth. It seems almost like magic... THE WAY IT SHOULD HAVE ALWAYS BEEN. The brighter display is well brighter...... I THINK (could be in my head) that it seems smoother/quicker just scrolling and clicking on apps on the watch... This all could be in my head and I could possibly be thinking this as I just spent $400 more dollars on an Ultra 2 (traded my ultra for $380 used the apple card for an extra $20 in rewards) and do not want to know that I made a bad decision... At this point the smoother feeling OS and the way better Siri response seems worth it.

My conclusion - I love to run and lift weights. Two things I'll never be - 1. the Boston Marathon Champion and 2. Mr. Olympia however if you dont keep going you will have health issues and that's not cool. I love the latest and greatest tech BUT I also temper my expectations and try to sift through the newest and get what makes sense. Unfortunately I cannot run without both a garmin and a AW. I cannot get over not having my metrics and stats on connect but I also cannot go without 40 million songs at my command and a phone to reach out for help if I need it. This is a dilemma for real.... The Ultra 2 to me is worth it as the new OS on the Ultra feels sort of sluggish and Siri is def slower and clunkier on it. Will that matter to you? I honestly do not know. Will you notice it? No if you do not upgrade to the Ultra 2 from the 1 or MAYBE a series 8? I think that the new updates and apps that come along will take advantage of the new SIP and push the Ultra 1 into slower and clunkier land and that would be super frustrating knowing what the Ultra 2 is capable of.

I know I probably rambled a bit typing and trying to get my points across isn't my strong suit I'll admit it. I hope that I have given some of you some good or bad ideas about being a garmin guy and using an ultra/2. Please let me know your thoughts.
I love this. I have always been the same way and just recently returned a Garmin 965 (great watch) because I simply just want to not have to wear and worry about 2 devices. I also consider myself a stats nerd, but often have to come to the conclusion that I actually don't care that much about MOST of the stuff.
I have the Ultra 2, and use the native app and Footpath for navigation. WOD sometimes, but I have moved away from it lately. I just find that while I am running, I don't cycle through data that much. It is always after the fact. My main qualm with the native app, is that I am 50, and the font is so damn small. I don't know why that isn't adjustable.

Footpath is $15/yr and does turn by turn navigation and has a Mac and web app. I have used it for years and it is in my opinion equally as good as the Garmin maps. Not as convenient, of course, since you have to download the offline maps before you go out to a non cellular area. But otherwise, crisp, easy to read maps and navigation.

All the other things you mentioned, I agree with too. I trail run mostly here in the Pacific Northwest, and am really only running 7-10 hours a week. I recently ran a 50K in Portland with my AWU2, and without headphones, had 39% battery life left after a 7 hour run in the woods!

My point is, 8 hours out of the entire week and I didn't want to have an extra watch just for that. I can afford to, I just don't want the hassle, when the experience at this point is minimal.

I do like some of the recovery and recommended workouts. Those are indeed nice to have. But ultimately not enough to make me keep the 965. Being in the apple ecosystem has locked me in!

Great post!

TTTedP

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2017
@Fthree - I’d be curious on your 6 month update to this.

I also have both and the one thing I’m still waiting for from Apple is HR broadcast so I can use it with my bike computer. (I get the accuracy, chest strap option but really not needed for general fitness and I have a F7 pro who’s new HR sensor is pretty good) - it’s more about carrying less devices for me.

Getting really crazy, with the new BT power meter connect direct to AWU, I could ride with only the AWU (gps, all the stats, music and cellular in a single device)

Reactions: xDKP and dallison13
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.