Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matthewfromclfs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2018
Hi All,

I'm in the process of adding config profiles on all our student iMacs at my school, with the main aim to prevent them from looking at/accessing Keychain Access, Terminal and the App store.

I created the config profile using Profile Manager in Server Version 5.1.5 and I've added Keychain Access, Terminal and the App store in the list of restricted apps. The config profile has been working fine on all iMacs with El Capitan, Sierra, and High Sierra V10.13, but with the iMacs that have High Sierra V10.13.4 installed the apps are not restricted and can still be accessed. I've been searching to see if anyone else has come across this issue but found nothing so far, so if anyone has any ideas on this then that would be much appreciated.

Ultimately it may be a case of getting the latest version for High Sierra installed somewhere and creating the config profile from that, but wanted to see if there are other simpler solutions first.

matthewfromclfs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2018
I discovered the issue was that the user account that I was adding the profile to was a 'Managed' account, rather than a 'Standard' account. I must have left it on managed by mistake when I was trying out Parental Controls to attempt the same thing a while ago (which was a disaster I might add, full of bugs).

So in conclusion, don't add config profile to managed accounts because they seem to cancel each other out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.