Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 28, 2004
Apple Inc. has recently decided to build an Apple Store in Ann Arbor's Briarwood Mall. A recruiter has been posting positions on Craigslist, MacGroup-Detroit, and possibly other job sites as well. This comes as good news to the Ann Arbor area after mega-corporation Pfizer has announced a total shutdown of the Pfizer facilities in Ann Arbor by the end of 2007. In related news, Google Inc. has already began building it's new offices in Ann Arbor, MI that are expected to employee nearly a thousand.
"As a recruiter with Apple Retail I am excited to share with you that we are opening a new Apple Retail Store at Briarwood Mall in Ann Arbor, Michigan."
quote from Brenda.

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    39 KB · Views: 231

ambience

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2007
Near Detroit, Michigan.
Though a single retail store wont change Michigan's economy, every little bit helps. Despite what people may think, Michigan is still a wonderful place to live, work, and learn (minus this sub-zero weather). I've decided to stay here. :)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Despite Briarwood not exactly being in the top five nicest malls in Southeast Michigan... :p this is still great. I bet it will get tons of Wolverine traffic. :)

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
WTF? Ann Arbor? Like the Novi store is so far away? F--- that! I'm pissed! There are now Apple stores in Novi, Southfield, Grand Rapids, and Ann Arbor! Sure, there's some people in those places, but they are as far away from anyone else in the state as can be! I can see the stores in Novi and Southfield - there's lots o' people there, so they should have retail stores there. Grand Rapids, ya' that's not too bad, it's a big city, it's got a couple other larger places nearby (Kzoo, etc). But Ann Arbor? The Novi store is less than 40 minutes away, it's not that big of a city, and there's nothing worth mentioning nearby!

They should have put the store in East Lansing (45,000+ MSU students, adjacent to the armpit that it our Capitol, equi-distant from Grand Rapids, the Detroit burbs, Ann Arbor, Mt Pleasant, Flint, and at least a straight, on the way shot for people in the upper part of the state). Bleh. Damn UoFM.

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
WTF? Ann Arbor? Like the Novi store is so far away? F--- that! I'm pissed! There are now Apple stores in Novi, Southfield, Grand Rapids, and Ann Arbor! Sure, there's some people in those places, but they are as far away from anyone else in the state as can be! I can see the stores in Novi and Southfield - there's lots o' people there, so they should have retail stores there. Grand Rapids, ya' that's not too bad, it's a big city, it's got a couple other larger places nearby (Kzoo, etc). But Ann Arbor? The Novi store is less than 40 minutes away, it's not that big of a city, and there's nothing worth mentioning nearby!

They should have put the store in East Lansing (45,000+ MSU students, adjacent to the armpit that it our Capitol, equi-distant from Grand Rapids, the Detroit burbs, Ann Arbor, Mt Pleasant, Flint, and at least a straight, on the way shot for people in the upper part of the state). Bleh. Damn UoFM.

There isnt an Apple Store in Southfield, there is one in Troy. But not Southfield.

It does seem odd to have 3 stores with on less that an hour of each other.

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
While Ann Arbor is a little closer to Toledo, I'm really hoping they decide to put one in the new Fallen Timbers outdoor mall they are currently working. It was on hold for a long time, but they have started construction and already have 1/3 of the buildings up, but haven't made too many announcements concerning tenants.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
There isnt an Apple Store in Southfield, there is one in Troy. But not Southfield.

It does seem odd to have 3 stores with on less that an hour of each other.

Whoops, my mistake. Troy indeed. I must have been thinking it was in that mall in Southfield. I pretty much just consider anything that is east of Livonia Detroit anyways, so Southfield, Troy, it's all the same to me. :p

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
Whoops, my mistake. Troy indeed. I must have been thinking it was in that mall in Southfield. I pretty much just consider anything that is east of Livonia Detroit anyways, so Southfield, Troy, it's all the same to me. :p

Many people would take great offense to that

ambience

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2007
Near Detroit, Michigan.
Many people would take great offense to that

So... they should move or get a sense of humor?

Troy is in Oakland County, the county I live in. Oakland County and Troy are very very nice places and should not be compared to other places near Detroit. Southfield is also ok. Oakland County is one of the wealthiest counties in the United States. I commute to Dearborn and Taylor almost everyday (Wayne County), it is amazing how after the Oakland County border everything goes down hill quickly with poverty evident and then becomes nice again (in Dearborn). The Metro Detroit area is very fragmented, with some parts being very unsafe and poor and other places very wealthy (Bloomfield Hills).

About Oakland County
About Troy

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
Troy is in Oakland County, the county I live in. Oakland County and Troy are very very nice places and should not be compared to other places near Detroit. Southfield is also ok. Oakland County is one of the wealthiest counties in the United States. I commute to Dearborn and Taylor almost everyday (Wayne County), it is amazing how after the Oakland County border everything goes down hill quickly with poverty evident and then becomes nice again (in Dearborn). The Metro Detroit area is very fragmented, with some parts being very unsafe and poor and other places very wealthy (Bloomfield Hills).

About Oakland County
About Troy

I grew up in Oakland county. I lives most of my life in either Novi or South Lyon/New Hudson. Moved out of that area about, oh, 8 years ago now. Once you get past the "rural suburbs" and start getting to Livonia, Southfield, Royal Oak, Troy, Madison Heights, etc. it's all pretty much just cities next to cities without any real "dead space" in between. I'm not a fan of cities, I avoid them when at all possible. I like small town suberbia just fine.

My point was simply that once you get the area east of Livonia you are just driving through city, more or less continuously, and the name changes every few miles until you get to Detroit. I know how nice a lot of that area is (I lived and worked out there growing up) and it was just a joke. :p

When I was in the Army and told people I was from Michigan they always just assumed I was from Detroit, and when I told them I wasn't they always asked, "well, that's close to Detroit, right?" For some reason people seem to forget how huge Michigan is, and how far from most of the state Detroit is. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.