Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhone1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 2, 2010
I took the nano SIM from my Verizon iPhone 5 (unlimited data) and put it into my iPad Air with it powered down. Once it came up, not only did I have LTE data but also personal hotspot since it was enabled when I set up the T-Mobile account. It works awesome. Another option if you want the best of both worlds.

How-to
1-setup T-Mobile account on iPad (free 200mb option)
2-Restart iPad to get personal hotspot if you don't see it after setup
3-Power down iPad and iPhone
4-swap SIM's
5-power up and verify connectivity by turning off wifi, you should still have personal hotspot available
6-after swapping SIM's back you see the NO SIM card warning, simply take out and re-insert the SIM into the iPad.

I did NOT have to alter any settings to get it to work.

mso4

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2009
I took the nano SIM from my Verizon iPhone 5 (unlimited data) and put it into my iPad Air with it powered down. Once it came up, not only did I have LTE data but also personal hotspot since it was enabled when I set up the T-Mobile account. It works awesome. Another option if you want the best of both worlds.

How-to
1-setup T-Mobile account on iPad (free 200mb option)
2-Restart iPad to get personal hotspot if you don't see it after setup
3-Power down iPad and iPhone
4-swap SIM's
5-power up and verify connectivity by turning off wifi, you should still have personal hotspot available
6-after swapping SIM's back you see the NO SIM card warning, simply take out and re-insert the SIM into the iPad.

I did NOT have to alter any settings to get it to work.

I tried turning on hotspot under Tmo but it only allows me to do it under Bluetooth to USB and not wifi. When I tried pairing Bluetooth to my iPhone 5s it did not work.

I'm able to swap to verizon sim no problem. But can't connect hotspot.

iPhone1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 2, 2010
I tried turning on hotspot under Tmo but it only allows me to do it under Bluetooth to USB and not wifi. When I tried pairing Bluetooth to my iPhone 5s it did not work.

I'm able to swap to verizon sim no problem. But can't connect hotspot.

Make sure you turn Wi-Fi back on to be able to generate a wifi hotspot.
Haven't used bluetooth tethering so I can't help you there.

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2011
So with this setup your ipad is getting unlimited LTE, and your phone still works off of wifi? That is awesome.

iPhone1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 2, 2010
So with this setup your ipad is getting unlimited LTE, and your phone still works off of wifi? That is awesome.

Yes, iPad gets unlimited LTE w/hotspot and I just swap between it and my iPhone as needed. Beats paying for personal hotspot on my phone although the only issue is I cannot receive calls while SIM's are swapped.

mso4

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2009
Make sure you turn Wi-Fi back on to be able to generate a wifi hotspot.
Haven't used bluetooth tethering so I can't help you there.

Thanks it works now. With regard to calls you can always forward your calls when you're using the sim on the ipad. You'll just miss all the non-iMessage texts though.

onlineaddy

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2010
Did you buy the iPad with a T-Mobile or Verizon SIM? Does Verizon care if the iPad has an IMEI with T-Mobile, and vice versa?

didiee

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2007
Neighborhood
happy to report that i got a rMini with Sprint.
1. Works with my vw iphone's Sim
2. Works with Tmo sim (able to sign up for 200 free)
3. Most likely will work with Att sim (havent tried)
4. Certainly will work with Sprint sim

--Not sure if Verion will let me add this sprint ipad to their network as a new addition.....

HTH for those who were as confused as me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.