Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amy Joy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2021
Hospitals mostly
Hello, I'm a new member here (just signed up in fact),

though I've been visiting the site for news for quite some time.

Some of the news posts feature 2 or 3 emojis and a string of users' names.

I'm very conflicted by the emojis. E.g. "??❤️ name, name, name, and 27 others"

What does this mean? is every one of those people happy and not happy, and angry at the same time?

I'm trying to understand how this works and I appreciate it if you can take the time to explain.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
The emojis you show in your post are a thumbs up, thumbs down, and a heart (for love). You also have the option to like a post, love a post, be shocked by a post, be angry by a post, or laugh from the post. These emojis are triggered when you hover your cursor over the like button.

The other emoji smilies available have different faces although it can be very hard to see the differences due to how small they are.

Welcome to the forum.

Amy Joy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2021
Hospitals mostly
@Apple_Robert, thank you and for taking the time.

For clarification, does it mean those people whose names come after the emojis all feel the same way (often mixed)? :/

Take this post for example (please see attachment)

Attachments

• thumbsup-down.png
    thumbsup-down.png
    90.9 KB · Views: 97
Reactions: Apple_Robert

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
@Apple_Robert, thank you and for taking the time.

For clarification, does it mean those people whose names come after the emojis all feel the same way (often mixed)? :/

Take this post for example (please see attachment)
In the picture cited, if you go to a post that has had people react to it and tap on that blue link, it will then show you who the individuals are who gave you a thumb up, down, angry, or laugh.

Last edited:

Madhatter32

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2020
Yes, it took me a little while to understand that you can click on the blue link to get a breakdown of those who are hating your posts versus those who are liking it. I never realized people can get so sensitive over a post about an iPhone.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Yes, it took me a little while to understand that you can click on the blue link to get a breakdown of those who are hating your posts versus those who are liking it. I never realized people can get so sensitive over a post about an iPhone.
People take their iPhone very seriously around here.

You could post that breathing oxygen is a necessary process of life, and there are people here who will still give a post like that a downvote. I think some here like being bellicose.

Madhatter32

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2020
People take their iPhone very seriously around here.

You could post that breathing oxygen is a necessary process of life, and there are people here who will still give a post like that a downvote. I think some here like being bellicose.
Ha ha -- true. Although after one dislike is given the flood gates seem to open wide and the herd seems to start in with their stampede. It's an interesting phenomenon actually. Could be I am just disliked here generally.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.