Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac_in_tosh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2016
Earth
I'm running Mac OS Catalina on my 2019 MacBook Pro. I have an administrator account, where I usually do all the updates, and another account. Recently, for instance, there was an update to iMovie that I did in the administrator account and the App Store is showing it as recently updated. But if I go to the other account, it is still showing as an update to be done. Currently the App Store is showing one update available in the admin account while the other account is showing five updates available, most of which I had already done in the admin account.

So since all accounts use the same Applications folder, why is the other account showing an update is available? What would be the consequence of allowing it to do the updates?

mac_in_tosh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2016
Earth
I opened the App Store in both accounts, clicked on my name in the lower left corner and then on View Information. It asked me for a password, prompting with the same email address in both accounts. I successfully entered the same password for both. So both are using the same Apple ID. I rebooted to see if that would clear things up but it didn't - one account shows 1 update available, the other shows 5.

Longkeg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2014
The Nation’s (US) Oldest City
So what happens if you update one of the 5 available updates? Enquiring minds want to know. Does it put a duplicate app in the account’s Home Applications folder? Does it update permissions to the app that is already in the root Application folder or does it do something else. Make sure everything is backed up, just in case...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.