Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JulianL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
I upgraded my soon-to-be-sold XS to 13.0 and also have my new 11 Pro Max on 13.0. I'm confused about auto-brightness (with the emphasis on the "brightness" bit) in iOS 13. I see the same thing on both my XS and my 11 Pro Max.

If I go to Settings / Display & Brightness I don't see any auto-brightness toggle in the "brightness" (second from top) section of that settings page, all I see in that section is a manual brightness slider and a True Tone toggle. If I look at the first section of the page ("Appearance") I do see an "Automatic" toggle but if I switch it on it seems to be adjusting my Light/Dark mode settings & I want to have my phone running in Dark mode all the time.

I can only think of four possibilities...

1 - The toggle to turn auto-brightness on and off has been moved somewhere else in Settings (somewhere very unintuitive!).

2 - the ability to select whether on not the phone should automatically adjust the brightness of the screen depending on ambient lighting conditions has been taken out of settings. In that case presumably iPhones either no longer do this or they will always do it and the user can't explicitly enable or disable the behaviour.

3 - The automatic adjustment of brightness has been combined with the automatic selection of light or dark mode so, if I want to enable auto-brightness, I need to switch on that toggle in the "Appearance" section and then set myself a custom light/dark schedule. As far as I can see I can't tell it to always be dark using a custom schedule so I'd have to set it so that maybe at 3:00am it switched to light mode and then back to dark mode at 3:01am which would essentially do what I wanted (I'm unlikely to be using it during the single minute a day when it's in light mode) but it seems a but messy and un-Apple-like.

4 - Auto-brightness is now only enabled if True Tone is enabled so enabling True Tone is what I need to do to enable auto-brightness hence I can leave the appearance set permanently to "Dark"

I was asking a guy in the Apple Store when I was queuing for my reservation yesterday and he said it was (3) above but I'm not sure he actually knew what he was talking about and wasn't just making stuff up. I got pulled out of the queue to get my order before I could delve any deeper.

So what do I need to do to be sure that my 11 Pro Max does have auto-brightness enabled?

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
Auto-brightness has been moved to Settings>Accessibility>Display & Text Size> at the very bottom.

It works without True Tone. You can test by going to the above location, turn off auto-brightness, go to Control Center to lower the brightness to the lowest value, and enable back auto-brightness. This recalibrate the brightest.

Reactions: JulianL

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
I upgraded my soon-to-be-sold XS to 13.0 and also have my new 11 Pro Max on 13.0. I'm confused about auto-brightness (with the emphasis on the "brightness" bit) in iOS 13. I see the same thing on both my XS and my 11 Pro Max.

If I go to Settings / Display & Brightness I don't see any auto-brightness toggle in the "brightness" (second from top) section of that settings page, all I see in that section is a manual brightness slider and a True Tone toggle. If I look at the first section of the page ("Appearance") I do see an "Automatic" toggle but if I switch it on it seems to be adjusting my Light/Dark mode settings & I want to have my phone running in Dark mode all the time.

I can only think of four possibilities...

1 - The toggle to turn auto-brightness on and off has been moved somewhere else in Settings (somewhere very unintuitive!).

2 - the ability to select whether on not the phone should automatically adjust the brightness of the screen depending on ambient lighting conditions has been taken out of settings. In that case presumably iPhones either no longer do this or they will always do it and the user can't explicitly enable or disable the behaviour.

3 - The automatic adjustment of brightness has been combined with the automatic selection of light or dark mode so, if I want to enable auto-brightness, I need to switch on that toggle in the "Appearance" section and then set myself a custom light/dark schedule. As far as I can see I can't tell it to always be dark using a custom schedule so I'd have to set it so that maybe at 3:00am it switched to light mode and then back to dark mode at 3:01am which would essentially do what I wanted (I'm unlikely to be using it during the single minute a day when it's in light mode) but it seems a but messy and un-Apple-like.

4 - Auto-brightness is now only enabled if True Tone is enabled so enabling True Tone is what I need to do to enable auto-brightness hence I can leave the appearance set permanently to "Dark"

I was asking a guy in the Apple Store when I was queuing for my reservation yesterday and he said it was (3) above but I'm not sure he actually knew what he was talking about and wasn't just making stuff up. I got pulled out of the queue to get my order before I could delve any deeper.

So what do I need to do to be sure that my 11 Pro Max does have auto-brightness enabled?
It’s under Settings->Accessibility->Display & Text Size. You’ll find it all the way at the bottom. This move occurred in iOS 12.

Sorig

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2017
Autobrightness was moved under the Accessibility settings since iOS 11. Most likely to prevent people from turning off autobrightness and setting their brightness to the max (and leaving it there), burning their screens out.

JulianL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
Hey, thanks so much guys. Mystery solved. I obviously hadn't been paying attention since iOS 10 :). I suppose I only really look at most of the settings when I'm first setting up a new phone.

Reactions: Chazzle
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.