Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Internaut

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Firstly, Merry Christmas to anyone who reads this today. Now, I have a slightly confusing situation involving two iCloud accounts. I will describe these as:

• In effect the iTunes ID set up in the very early naughties, using my AOL email address, back when having an ISP email address was still a little bit fashionable.
  • To this day, this is the ID I use to actually sign into all my Apple devices and is associated with all my Apple purchased content and iCloud storage space.
  • Then there's the thing that started out as "MobileMe" (ugh) and, because I "purchased" it alongside my first MacBook, very soon after MobileMe became a thing, I have a valuable <firstnamelastname>@me.com address.
  • I'm signed into the Me address with Mail, but not signed in at the device level on any device (i.e. that is not the ID I log on with).
It became painfully obvious, this week, that though they coexist on the same devices, these two accounts don't know about each other. So, when I attempted to reset the forgotten password of my me.com address, none of my Apple received a notification. I assume this is because the actual devices themselves are not signed into this account. This involved a lot of confusion including Apple telling me "We'll take a few days to evaluate your information".

On this occasion, I got lucky. Mail is signed into Me on my iPad Pro and although I don't remember the old password, I was allowed to simply change it (just a few minutes ago, in fact). Now, from my own research I see there seems to be no way to merge these two accounts which is a pity since I suspect AOL email addresses are, generally speaking, not long for this world. So I'm wondering if there's any way to at least associate the accounts more closely?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.