Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lyzardking

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2003
Tks.

I guess the Mhz myth is real then in the case of Folding.

I wouldn't say that, comparing clock to clock on the 09 MP slower clock = slower folding (when equal # of cores are compared)

The claim that 09 MP are quicker at a slower clock is shown (proven?) with the numbers I provided earlier

Anyone would want to chime on hyperthreading?
What if you run 3 or 4 units on the 09MP...

I wouldn't see why not, increase "sees" 16 cpus on the 09 2.26 dual quad. SMTs only use 4 cores per unit, so I'm sure you could run four units, but don't expect to do much else. (kinda like running 2 units on the hyper threaded single quad, increase "sees" 8 cpus)

MacBandit

macrumors 604
You should be able to still use the computer. The priority for folding using Increase should be Nice +20. On my MacBook it runs as if on 4 cores and I can still do whatever I want to do it just means that folding will slow down dramatically. Performance of other tasks are slowed a very tiny bit.

lyzardking

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2003
You should be able to still use the computer. The priority for folding using Increase should be Nice +20. On my MacBook it runs as if on 4 cores and I can still do whatever I want to do it just means that folding will slow down dramatically. Performance of other tasks are slowed a very tiny bit.

Agreed.... I was talking more intensive stuff (video encoding etc) but the more you "pile on" the slower everything gets.

There are times when I have to pause folding to get something else done (in a reasonable amount of time)

Does the core duo machine run SMPs? (1920 pts)

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
Got a couple of machines doing it, but have you guys noticed how our numbers our dwindling? the team is going down slowly. :eek:

eme jota ce

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago
Just Joined

Just joined team 3446 a month or so ago.

Nice to be able to break into the top 100 this week, but it looks like it will be longer to hit top 20.

Running on the following machines

• MP 2.8ghz quad
  • iMac 2.8 C2D
  • iMac 2.66 C2d
  • MacBook 2.16 C2D (just brought it into the mix today)

Hope to make a decent contribution.

Will look to this forum for advice.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
^ welcome to the fold eme jota ce!

looks like a good group of machines you got there. looks like u can expect a 1920 point unit every few hours

eme jota ce

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago
One Machine Keeps reverting back to "anonymous"

Can anyone point me to a useful discussion or FAQ that addresses the following problem.

My macbook will not retain my username / team number in the "Folding at Home" system preferences pane.

I enter my name and team 3446, but after quitting System Preferences and re-opening the Folding@Home window, it reverts back to anonymous.

Thanks,
mjc

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland

Nice to be able to break into the top 100 this week, but it looks like it will be longer to hit top 20.

• MP 2.8ghz quad
  • iMac 2.8 C2D
  • iMac 2.66 C2d

Welcome! No wonder you are catching up to me so quick! :eek:

Can anyone point me to a useful discussion or FAQ that addresses the following problem.

My macbook will not retain my username / team number in the "Folding at Home" system preferences pane.

I enter my name and team 3446, but after quitting System Preferences and re-opening the Folding@Home window, it reverts back to anonymous.

Thanks,
mjc

Chuck the preference file and try again, it might be corrupt.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
^ like iShater said, starting over may be a good idea. i do this frequently when i run into problems, just for the fact that searching for the exact answer takes more time

SciFrog

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008

• MP 2.8ghz quad
  • iMac 2.8 C2D
  • iMac 2.66 C2d

What PPD do you get with the Air 2.16?
Only getting 800 PPD with the 1.6 GHz Air and it is kind of overheating...

How about the iMac? Getting 1,500 PPD with a 2.16GHz iMac...

Tks

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
and the new leader is...

well, hell. it turned from spring to summer, got hot, and i shut down the big guns... and now i've been overtook.. overtaken... i'm #2. :eek:

a big congrats to the new number one, mc68k. way to go dude!

best of luck to all who fold here. or anywhere actually. :)

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
well, hell. it turned from spring to summer, got hot, and i shut down the big guns... and now i've been overtook.. overtaken... i'm #2. :eek:

a big congrats to the new number one, mc68k. way to go dude!

best of luck to all who fold here. or anywhere actually. :)
thanks, 4JNA!

haha don't feel bad, i can't remeber the last time i was #1-- it's been that long. honestly i didn't think i'd ever catch you again.

these days i have an abundance of resources. i could prob double or triple this output, but it's a lot of work to keep everything up and going. !!

i've had a good time watching the distance shrink between us over the months. i was even watching on my vacation a few weeks ago from wifi in motel rooms haha :)

the lyzardking person has some crazy output, i could see them becoming #1 if he/she can keep it up.

oh and true to the team name all my folders are macs (one 4GHz hackie) except for one PC doing a few meager points 8)

lyzardking

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2003
Congrats to Mc68k!

the lyzardking person has some crazy output, i could see them becoming #1 if he/she can keep it up.

I'm working on it ;)

If I could get WU's to stop erroring out I'd be there quicker...

I just had two 1920's "stop" at 100% (GRRR)

It seems like every other day I have to restart a WU (delete & start anew)

Anyone using Increase having the same problems?

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
I gave up on running it on my multiple systems because of these hangups, it got annoying after a while. And I think the electric bill is high already. :eek:

And congrats on the new ranks. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.