Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vniow

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
A proposal to defang a controversial copyright law became public on Thursday, after more than a year of anticipation and months of closed-door negotiations with potential supporters.

Formally titled the Digital Media Consumers' Rights Act, the new bill represents the boldest counterattack yet on recent expansions of copyright law that have been driven by entertainment industry firms worried about Internet piracy.

Okay, last one for the night, I swear.;)

I'm no legal expert, but this looks like a big step towards balancing consumer's fair-use rights and the wants of the RIAA and the MPAA.
They're likely to oppose it which means that more attention will be given to this matter.

It's a long article with alot of links so read thouroughly.

Enjoy.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
The RIAA will get this one buried so fast and so deep...

... you'll find Judge Crater and Jimmy Hoffa before you see it again.

The US Congress may represent many different interests, but not one of them is the American consumer.

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
Re: The RIAA will get this one buried so fast and so deep...

Originally posted by cubist

The US Congress may represent many different interests, but not one of them is the American consumer.

Um, that's because the American consumer typically sits on his fat ass and accepts things as they are given to him. Write your congressman. Get involved.

[edit for grammar]

macsurfer

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2002
NYC, L.A.
Re: The RIAA will get this one buried so fast and so deep...

Originally posted by cubist

Bull****. The cat is out of the BAG!!!! (for the SECOND time).

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
Originally posted by mattevil
actually my congressman(boucher) proposed the bill. do i have to write him?:p

It never hurts to write a letter of support either. You know he's got to be receiving pressure from the media industry against the bill.

Supporting the bill, even to Boucher, implies that he is doing more than simply satisfying his own principles by resisting a strong corporate lobby. It implies that this is an issue his constituents actually care about. A lobby gives a politician money he can use to campaign for votes. An issue that matters to the constituents gives him the votes directly. I'm no politician, but I have to believe that the latter is pure gold in D.C. if they can ever find it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.